5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
January 27, 2021, 10:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,504
Gold Stars: 185
Obviously has some ability as his record shows, but he just didn't look arsed during most of his time with us. I think he admitted after he left that he'd not been fit enough. Perhaps understandable as he was a young lad who moved across to the other side of the country, away from friends and family.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 40
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 27, 2021, 10:26pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Maringer
Obviously has some ability as his record shows, but he just didn't look arsed during most of his time with us. I think he admitted after he left that he'd not been fit enough. Perhaps understandable as he was a young lad who moved across to the other side of the country, away from friends and family.

My recollection was that he was pretty good in his first season but was a 19 year old away from home and probably ate and drank the wrong stuff. But he was always decent, perhaps a bit greedy at times but that’s strikers, and scored a decent amount of goals including the goal at Wembley v Wrexham. Second season not an automatic choice and that’s when he lost a bit of confidence and his attitude appeared to drop. Remember the cup game v Huddersfield when he was outstanding and the next week Hurst left him out again and there was meltdown on here.

His subsequent goals showed the potential he showed whilst with us but since moving to Mansfield his career seems to have gone backwards a little but he’s still got time to come back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 40
bawarmy
January 27, 2021, 11:17pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +2,009
Gold Stars: 33
Cook was on  over 4 grand a week at Mansfield . Same as Kyle Bennett at Bristol Rovers. The worlds gone mad. Have a look at this
https://salarysport.com/football/sky-bet-league-two/grimsby-town/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 40
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 27, 2021, 11:42pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from bawarmy
Cook was on  over 4 grand a week at Mansfield . Same as Kyle Bennett at Bristol Rovers. The worlds gone mad. Have a look at this

If that salary list is accurate I would expect some levels of disharmony amongst the players when things are not going well with the weekly wage for Wright & Pollock being particularly pathetic, how would the club expect to keep Pollock if that’s what they pay him?

As for the higher earners I assume, pray, we don’t pay Bennett’s full salary and I can see where Jolley spent his budget when you look at Waterfall, Hanson & Green. Not saying players should not get paid decent money shame it’s not attracting a better quality of player though!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 40
January 28, 2021, 5:54am
Guest User
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

My recollection was that he was pretty good in his first season but was a 19 year old away from home and probably ate and drank the wrong stuff. But he was always decent, perhaps a bit greedy at times but that’s strikers, and scored a decent amount of goals including the goal at Wembley v Wrexham. Second season not an automatic choice and that’s when he lost a bit of confidence and his attitude appeared to drop. Remember the cup game v Huddersfield when he was outstanding and the next week Hurst left him out again and there was meltdown on here.

His subsequent goals showed the potential he showed whilst with us but since moving to Mansfield his career seems to have gone backwards a little but he’s still got time to come back.

I liked Andy Cook - Buckley's comment about his second touch always being a tackle (i.e. not a great first touch) notwithstanding.

My (thoroughly unreliable) memory of that second season is that Cook was just starting to look decent, we signed Brodie (spit), and Cook's confidence went awol.

As a general aside, a big forward with a not-so-great first touch can be effective if he wins a fair percentage of the battles for the ball thereafter.
Livo and the early Dion Dublin spring to mind.
Diego Costa too perhaps...but I suspect he deliberately 'miscontrolled' a few to set up a situation where he could, erm...put in a 'forwards tackle' on the defender.
Reply: 24 - 40
toontown
January 28, 2021, 7:11am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,278
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from bawarmy

Gibson is paid zero according to that. And he signed a 3 year deal. Think he should get another agent.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 40
pontoonlew
January 28, 2021, 7:21am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +8,998
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from toontown

Gibson is paid zero according to that. And he signed a 3 year deal. Think he should get another agent.

We’re still getting short changed
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 40
diehardmariner
January 28, 2021, 9:55am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,609
Gold Stars: 538
I normally pour scorn on figures that are banded about but that looks about what I would expect, with a few expectations.   Maybe not exact with the money but in terms of the hierarchy of high earners.  

Ex-player or not, I'd have taken Andy Cook back in a heartbeat.   I don't think he was Hurst's kind of player though, not the right attitude.  He was awesome at times in that first season though.  What was the game where he came off the bench and grabbed two late goals to win it when we were staring defeat in the face?
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 40
BobbyCummingsTackle
January 28, 2021, 10:30am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,269
Gold Stars: 304
Quoted from Gaffer58
So what’s Greens scoring record?

I'm sorry....what?......Green.....scoring?......

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 40
LocalLadGTFC
January 28, 2021, 10:32am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,160
Gold Stars: 136
No doubting his ability but the question was always over his attitude. Look at every club he's been at the fans say he couldn't be assed or caused some sort of problem in the squad.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 29 - 40
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Andy Cook

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.