6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Boris Johnson
January 4, 2021, 11:41am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
Jason stockwood is town as intercourse and is on a different stratosphere to john Shelton fenty. And that pal is what you cannot grasp from your deluded noche ing off of fenty, the three of them will bring more expertise in there little fingers compared to your best mate john and that's what you HATE getting your little digs at them MUPPET!!!!!

im sure Stockdale is, but I was surprised after 50 years of home and away support I didnt recognise him...Perhaps he isnt a Carlisle away on a Wet Tuesday niught man?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 50
davmariner
January 4, 2021, 11:41am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,959
Gold Stars: 79
Fenty’s reputation amongst town fans can never be rehabilitated. So there’s no point in even trying pal.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 50
jamesgtfc
January 4, 2021, 11:44am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Boris Johnson

im sure Stockdale is, but I was surprised after 50 years of home and away support I didnt recognise him...Perhaps he isnt a Carlisle away on a Wet Tuesday niught man?

I'm as diehard as they come but I don't go every week because I can't for a variety of reasons.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 50
ska face
January 4, 2021, 11:44am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,753
Gold Stars: 851
An awful lot of words to say effectively nothing.

Anyone that knows anything knows that housing is probably the quickest and easiest way to make a decent profit relatively quickly, and with a minimum of fuss. Especially given a chronic shortage of housing nationally and locally - NE Lincs council requires an average of 517 new homes per year from 2023-2032.

The Telegraph revealed that May - brought into the situation by Fenty - had already had proposals drawn up for housing on the site of BP by an firm of architects in Nottingham. The land at Cheapside would also be an extremely attractive proposition for anyone looking to throw up a housing development given the location, recent developments next door and relatively low costs of development. Why was May so keen for new training facilities?

There’s absolutely no doubt in my mind who was involved, how and for what reasons, though given the litigious nature of some individuals I’ll leave that to your imagination.

As for the consortium, it’s been said before but there are much easier ways to make a profit than buying a run down football club with limited income, then relocating them to former industrial area by filling in a dock. They’ve already demonstrated their commitment to developing the town with their work on the OnSide Youth Zone - https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/stunning-images-grimsbys-new-youth-4158845
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 50
KingstonMariner
January 4, 2021, 11:45am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218

Maybe getting on with his life and career was more of a priority than trekking hundreds of miles to prove his loyalty.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 50
January 4, 2021, 12:08pm
Guest User
We dont know as yet what the 3 monkeys plan for the club, but lets not think for one moment that they would have purchased shares if there wasnt a regeneration programme going on.  That is obviously there driver, and as perhaps the deal isnt yet finalised, we need to wait and see what there log term plans are.

Rest assured they will be scrutinsed thoroughly, and questions will be asked.   Too many on here thinking we have won the lottery.

Get back into your high chair so mammy can feed you.

Reply: 15 - 50
TownSNAFU5
January 4, 2021, 12:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,894
Gold Stars: 42
I could respond to nearly every point.

Will stick to “May had no interest in GTFC”.

“Fenty only gave to the Club, not take”.

Link these 2 statements together.

So why then did John Fenty actively encourage May, a convicted fraudster (you conveniently omitted that small fact) to invest a large capital sum in the Club?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 50
ginnywings
January 4, 2021, 12:23pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Cool story.

Looking forward to the West End musical.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 50
January 4, 2021, 12:24pm
Guest User
Quoted from Fillipe Noche
Regeneration seems to be the buzz word around Grimsby at the moment. There’s absolutely no doubt that the Town is going to be receiving a lot of investment and improvement over the coming years. The catalyst for much of this is the renewable energy industry that has, and is, making its home along the banks of the Humber. It’s a very positive time for the town, and as always, where there are development opportunities, money making scope exists for those that have money already, those that understand how to tap into development potential, and for those that are well connected.

The football club is also central to the regeneration programme. Community projects, especially sports based ones that tick the health and well being boxes, are superb vehicles for attracting investment and grants. So it’s blatantly obvious that there is profit making opportunity for anyone that can get involved with the football club and it’s activities centred around the regeneration programme.

I think it’s vitally important that we understand that nobody that takes the football club forward as part of the Towns regeneration programme, is doing this solely for the love of the club and/or the community. Some you might say aren’t interested at all in the community or the football club, and are totally fixed with their eyes on the prize of profit.

I’ve been thinking about all of the characters that have been involved over recent weeks, and what their motivation has been:

John Fenty..,
Genuinely has a love and passion for the club, in that there is no doubt. He’s an astute businessman, although he hasn’t really profited from his investment in Grimsby Town to date. In fact, apart from the gift of Mariners Trust shares, which he can only ever profit from once sold, practically everything else he has done has been give not take. And certainly not profit.

In John’s case, his involvement with GTFC has been a drain on his wealth. Certainly not a big drain in comparison to his overall accumulated wealth, but certainly not an exciting profit making venture that his other business investments have provided him with over the years.

Philip Day:
A conceited sycophant who acts as a nodding dog chairman for his master, John Fenty. His disdain for the fans is regularly revealed by statements
which are too crass to be believed. Views the supporters of the club as 'sheep with wallets'. A sad excuse for a human being.

But, I have no doubt that his end game has always been to eventually benefit from his involvement with the club through the many efforts he has led on to deliver a new stadium and the allied developments that he has endeavoured to have running alongside this. He’s probably endured years of frustration that the likes of Great Coates and Peaks Parkway have not been deliverable. Frustration both for his love of the club and his desire for it to have the best home and facilities, and also frustration that he’s continually been thwarted in obtaining any real meat on the bone profit from his involvement in the club, the likes as he has in the fish industry.

Ian Holloway:
Definitely came to Grimsby chasing profit. Had absolute no affinity with the Town or club at all. Never ever has he taken up a board appointment at any other football club. Never ever has he committed to investing money into a club. I have no doubt that in attracting Holloway to Grimsby, that the bait on the hook was the regeneration taking place in the Town and the football clubs proposed involvement in that. He saw the pound signs and jumped onboard in order to make money.

Alex May:
Nothing other than an investor, both for himself and others. A person who saw the opportunity to profit from the regeneration taking place in the Town and the football clubs proposed involvement in it. Has zero love  or affinity for the club.

Schutes Consortium:
The three businessmen involved in this consortium have a fondness for GTFC and some fondness for the town. So we won’t be passing over to people who don’t care at all about Grimsby.

I think that care and regard is pretty thin, but enough that they will or should do right by the club. Let’s not pretend though that these guys are Grimsby through and through like John Fenty is. To me they are a bit like the local lads that’s done well, left the town, explored the world, and created their success away from Grimsby. They aren’t deeply rooted in Grimsby with a desire to be living here, homers so to speak. They aren’t people that over the years you’d find sat at Blundell Park year in and year out. They’ve probably spent more time at Premier League grounds enjoying hospitality than they have their hometown ground. But for me, their background of being from Grimsby is enough for them to be safe hands and custodians.

In the case of the consortium though, I do not pretend for a minute that their motivation is the love of the club and the town. I think the regeneration programme, the club’s involvement in it, and the profit they can make, is the key driver in them wanting to invest in the club. In the case of Tom Schutes, this is very definitively already in process, since he’s already involved in development in the town, right at the coal face.

Summary:
Personally I think it’s wrong to cast scorn on anyone that seeks to be involved in the club who has more than one glancing eye on profiting from their investment. Because if that’s the driver, in small part or large part, for success for the football club, then so be it. However, the ones to be weary of are the investors that are looking to profit and then run. For me, Holloway and May fit firmly into that category. John Fenty absolutely doesn’t and I’m confident he was content with a long cycle at the club that see’s him make loss, break even, then profit, but without running away. He’s not running away now really is he, he’s simply bowing out to fan pressure if the sale completes. The consortium I hope will continue John’s work and more, make a success of it and I have no problem with them profiting from this whilst doing so.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Interesting times.

Edited for you.
Reply: 18 - 50
gytone
January 4, 2021, 12:25pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,029
Gold Stars: 8

STOCKWOOD FFS, How many more times can people get his name wrong.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 50
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Regeneration £££

Thread Rating

There have been 2 votes for this thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.