Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › YOUR Daggers match thread, sponsored by Ginsters
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 109 Guests

YOUR Daggers match thread, sponsored by Ginsters

This thread currently has 34,707 views. Print
30 Pages Prev ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 Next All Recommend Thread
Mayaman
November 8, 2020, 2:03am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,421
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from golfer
Practice taking corners - can't remember one that reached the 6 yard box. AND  free kicks AND forward passes AND passes whichever direction to unmarked players AND getting rid of your marker AND ---

Exactly!  What do they do during the week?  Play subbuteo?- even then they might learn about positioning.  How often do we see a through ball that cuts the opposition defense in half?  It's so easy to defend against us.  Teams must understand by now.  Let us have possession,we'll do nothing with it. Just wait until we make a mistake and pounce.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 270 - 295
Mayaman
November 8, 2020, 2:14am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,421
Gold Stars: 74
There's nothing wrong with playing it out from the back but you don't have to do it through the whole game. You can vary it.  It's the same when Hanson is playing, we loft it in the air for him.  Yes, it's an option and a good one to have but we tend to do it all the time.  Why are we a team of one trick ponies?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 271 - 295
arryarryarry
November 8, 2020, 3:57am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,038
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Mayaman

Exactly!  What do they do during the week?  Play subbuteo?- even then they might learn about positioning.  How often do we see a through ball that cuts the opposition defense in half?  It's so easy to defend against us.  Teams must understand by now.  Let us have possession,we'll do nothing with it. Just wait until we make a mistake and pounce.

Spot on.
Private Message
Reply: 272 - 295
ivanosandwich
November 8, 2020, 12:35pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +8 / -1
Approval: +1,465
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from TAGG
Why don't you stop with this slagging Clifton off.
He is better than any of the dross that has been brought into the club this season.

FFS the players that went out the door were heads and shoulders above any that were brought in.

Don't want to hear all this cutting the cloth because of C19 bullocks.
Its plain to see the lack of will to keep those players here and the lack of ambition ambition for this club is less than ever since the great leaders political ambitions have taken centre stage.

I was one of those yesterday that posted on the subject of Clifton. At the time I was angry at the way we lost and perhaps my comments came across as "slagging him off". If it did, I will apologise for that as it was not the intention.

The point of my post was to say that although, in my opinion, Clifton is not a great footballer, he is one of best players we have seen so far this season. So the point was more of a reflection on everyone else rather than him.

To qualify the point about him not being a great footballer, I am talking about skill and natural ability. I did mention that he makes up for that in the 100% effort that he puts in, without that he probably wouldn't get close to a place in the first team.

I also noticed at the final whistle yesterday, while most of the other players routinely walked around giving out the fist pumps, Clifton sank to his knees like he'd just lost in the World Cup Final. That is the sort of passion and buy in to the club that we need and currently only he is showing it.

So yes, although I don't believe Clifton is the greatest player with regard to ability, he has bucket loads of passion and effort which stands him apart from almost everyone else in the squad at present.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 273 - 295
FishOutOfWater
November 8, 2020, 12:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,575
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I’m not sure I’ve seen a keeper sweeper in L2 since we’ve been back, or not one that’s rememberable. I think Scott Brown who was at Wycombe and went to Port Vale could use his feet but then again the amount of teams who play out from the back are minimal, if we can get the attacking blend right though we should stick with it.

One of the major reasons we beat MKDonuts in the FAC 1st round two years ago was because their keeper insisted on passing it around in his area.... we just closed them down the same as D&R did to us yesterday.

Every time I see us try to play this way I just expect an error... it's not as if we go on to pass it all the way up the field either. More often than not it's rolled around the back a few times and then just wellied up to the opposition half by one of our defenders, so all this keeping possession malarkey doesn't hold water for me
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 274 - 295
louth_in_the_south
November 8, 2020, 1:23pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,705
Gold Stars: 96
L2 standard players shouldn’t try to play it around at the back for 2 reasons .
1.The standard of pitches make errors far more likely
2. The standard of players make errors far more likely

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 275 - 295
pen penfras
November 8, 2020, 1:52pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

One of the major reasons we beat MKDonuts in the FAC 1st round two years ago was because their keeper insisted on passing it around in his area.... we just closed them down the same as D&R did to us yesterday.

Every time I see us try to play this way I just expect an error... it's not as if we go on to pass it all the way up the field either. More often than not it's rolled around the back a few times and then just wellied up to the opposition half by one of our defenders, so all this keeping possession malarkey doesn't hold water for me

Playing it out of defence works if you do it right, but we don't. The idea is to make space by the opposition having to close down further forwards. This needs midfield runners to pass and move, but we insist on playing Taylor and/or Morton who pass sideways and stand still or drop back. Clifton and Williams do this, but we never get both in the middle together.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 276 - 295
arryarryarry
November 8, 2020, 1:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,038
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Madeleymariner
The fault was with Morton he needed too many touches and showed a total lack of awareness where the opposition player was.

Shouldn't McKewan have shown some awareness of where the opposition player was as he was facing that way whereas their player was behind Morton.

No frigging need to pass the ball to Morton in the 90th minute like that.
Private Message
Reply: 277 - 295
NorthseaMariner
November 8, 2020, 1:58pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,523
Gold Stars: 11
Like everything in life. Learn from your mistakes, don’t dwell on them too long. Move on and go again. 😎
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 278 - 295
FishOutOfWater
November 8, 2020, 2:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,575
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from pen penfras

Playing it out of defence works if you do it right, but we don't. The idea is to make space by the opposition having to close down further forwards. This needs midfield runners to pass and move, but we insist on playing Taylor and/or Morton who pass sideways and stand still or drop back. Clifton and Williams do this, but we never get both in the middle together.

I take your point.... if it's done right, then it can be effective

I just don't think we have players with the required ability to take it out from the back and turn defence into attack

What we get is a poor facsimile of what the top teams do ( and even then, they don't always get it spot on )
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 279 - 295
30 Pages Prev ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › YOUR Daggers match thread, sponsored by Ginsters

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.