Croxton
September 26, 2020, 8:32pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +2,933
Gold Stars: 31
Glossop 2   Clee Town 1

Very enjoyable experience. Easy access, write your contact details in an exercise book ( literally a Mickey Mouse operation), mask off inside unless visiting the loo or getting refreshments and flasks allowed! Some stewarding and a few announcements but largely the crowd policed themselves.
Kyle Hawley led the Glossop attack and was easily contained by the Clee central defenders in the first half. Clee took the lead after a sweeping move, Vernon prodding home Hannah's assist. Venney had a free role and covered every blade of grass. Easily my MOM. Glossop missed three sitters in the same six yard melee but apart from that, they were too long and over hit crosses. Clee missed several chances, a Vernon header at the far post and Winfarrah passing when he should have shot. Full back missed the goal completely. Clee always looking to build, with Hannah dropping short and Vernon willing to run the channels if needed. Should really have been 4-1 to Clee at half time.

Disastrous start to the second half as central defender Middleton slammed the ball into his own net. 1-1. Glossop had already started to up the tempo and double up against Venney who was the creator in chief. The ref missed some late niggles and sandwich tackles but Josh kept driving forward. Sadly, several Clee players failed to maintain the same energy so that the Glossop back line remained solid. Vernons best moment was a drive from the edge of the box which brought a wonder save from their keeper.

Surprisingly, Hannah was subbed for a winger who was neat but no threat to their defence. Glossop's physicality, and improved passing pressed Clee back and scored through Mensah who was allowed a shot by defenders backing off. Classic case of failing to capitalise on chances in the first half and errors at the back. A sending off for each side late on only slightly tarnished an entertaining game.

Clee clearly lack pace up front and some height in midfield but this was a game which could have been theirs on chances created.

Anyone attending a game at this level has to manage their own risk. I was able to walk all round the pitch, spectators were retrieving the ball for players, and the home support clustered around cheering and clapping their team as they walked to the dressing rooms. Homely club though.

In terms of injuries and fitness, two players cramped up a little, no trainers came on and all subs were tactical as far as I could see.
Logged Offline
Private Message
jamesgtfc
September 26, 2020, 8:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,814
Gold Stars: 187
Good level, I was at Spalding v Carlton today. Referee was terrible. The Carlton 10 got booked early on for criticism and must have had half a dozen final warnings. The Carlton 9 got a booking in the second half for criticism too. In a crowd of 136, you could hear the players and coaching staff.

Shane Clarke, a tall and combative midfielder previously of Lincoln, Boston and Gainsborough got both goals. Another notable player in the Spalding line-up was Spencer Weir-Daley.

A lot of hard challenges, the ball rarely on the floor but a good game with 7 bookings, most for criticism. The two Spalding centre halves carried a bit of timber but their number 2 was a very impressive young lad. The Carlton team looked young and talented but ultimately they were out muscled.

On entry there was an old bloke with a notepad but posters were everywhere to scan on the NHS app which I did. Headed straight to the bar for a coffee and the only people in there wearing a mask was me and one of the old women behind the bar.

Plenty of room to space up, some elements of the away support were clustered together but most people were sat or stood in plenty of space. Spalding officials were sat in front of me. Around 8 of them all huddled together which didn't set a great example.

Spalding kept going down but there was a number of rough challenges and they were defending a lead so not sure how genuine or tactical they were.

Lincoln United v Cleethorpes for me on Tuesday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 13
friskneymariner
September 26, 2020, 8:55pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,136
Gold Stars: 38
Remember Karl Hawley destroying us when we played Carlisle.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 13
IlkleyMariner
September 26, 2020, 9:04pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +2,870
Gold Stars: 66
Watched Boroughbridge v Huddersfield Amateurs 3-1 to home side with about 40 watching. No checks not many masks. Tea and coffee available

Nice setup with cricket, bowls, tennis and two soccer pitches on the site. Just nice to get out. Only downside on way back on Radio Blunderside had to listen to the other two local sides win.

Could have been worse. Mariners still on zero points but a draw at Cheltenham would have put us 4 th bottom with just 43 games to go.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 13
HertsGTFC
September 26, 2020, 9:26pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,628
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from Croxton
Glossop 2   Clee Town 1

Very enjoyable experience. Easy access, write your contact details in an exercise book ( literally a Mickey Mouse operation), mask off inside unless visiting the loo or getting refreshments and flasks allowed! Some stewarding and a few announcements but largely the crowd policed themselves.
Karl Hawley led the Glossop attack and was easily contained by the Clee central defenders in the first half. Clee took the lead after a sweeping move, Vernon prodding home Hannah's assist. Venney had a free role and covered every blade of grass. Easily my MOM. Glossop missed three sitters in the same six yard melee but apart from that, they were too long and over hit crosses. Clee missed several chances, a Vernon header at the far post and Winfarrah passing when he should have shot. Full back missed the goal completely. Clee always looking to build, with Hannah dropping short and Vernon willing to run the channels if needed. Should really have been 4-1 to Clee at half time.

Disastrous start to the second half as central defender Middleton slammed the ball into his own net. 1-1. Glossop had already started to up the tempo and double up against Venney who was the creator in chief. The ref missed some late niggles and sandwich tackles but Josh kept driving forward. Sadly, several Clee players failed to maintain the same energy so that the Glossop back line remained solid. Vernons best moment was a drive from the edge of the box which brought a wonder save from their keeper.

Surprisingly, Hannah was subbed for a winger who was neat but no threat to their defence. Glossop's physicality, and improved passing pressed Clee back and scored through Mensah who was allowed a shot by defenders backing off. Classic case of failing to capitalise on chances in the first half and errors at the back. A sending off for each side late on only slightly tarnished an entertaining game.

Clee clearly lack pace up front and some height in midfield but this was a game which could have been theirs on chances created.

Anyone attending a game at this level has to manage their own risk. I was able to walk all round the pitch, spectators were retrieving the ball for players, and the home support clustered around cheering and clapping their team as they walked to the dressing rooms. Homely club though.

In terms of injuries and fitness, two players cramped up a little, no trainers came on and all subs were tactical as far as I could see.

From that crop of Youth I thought Josh Venney would have been the one who’d have broken through

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 13
RichMariner
September 26, 2020, 9:42pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
Who was our first team manager when Venney was a youth team player?

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 5 - 13
KingstonMariner
September 26, 2020, 9:49pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Good reports folks. Wish I’d gone to a game instead of going to B&Q for kitchen tiles.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 13
Croxton
September 26, 2020, 10:05pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

From that crop of Youth I thought Josh Venney would have been the one who’d have broken through

First time I've seen him. When I saw the relative size of the Glossop team I feared for his safety, but his touch, balance and sheer tenacity took him past several players in tight spaces. Other members of the team were happy to feed him the ball but they passed their workload on to him. He would have loved to have had Max on the wing to pass to I'm sure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 13
Croxton
September 26, 2020, 10:37pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from friskneymariner
Remember Karl Hawley destroying us when we played Carlisle.

Edit:-
My apologies for the typo, now corrected. It was Kyle Hawley not Karl. Karl retired in 2017 apparently!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 13
TownSNAFU5
September 26, 2020, 10:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
Didn’t Hawley score 2 goals once for Carlisle against us at BP?  In an impressive performance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 13
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just Back    Glossop N.E. 2 V

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.