Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Croxton, September 26, 2020, 8:32pm
Glossop 2   Clee Town 1

Very enjoyable experience. Easy access, write your contact details in an exercise book ( literally a Mickey Mouse operation), mask off inside unless visiting the loo or getting refreshments and flasks allowed! Some stewarding and a few announcements but largely the crowd policed themselves.
Kyle Hawley led the Glossop attack and was easily contained by the Clee central defenders in the first half. Clee took the lead after a sweeping move, Vernon prodding home Hannah's assist. Venney had a free role and covered every blade of grass. Easily my MOM. Glossop missed three sitters in the same six yard melee but apart from that, they were too long and over hit crosses. Clee missed several chances, a Vernon header at the far post and Winfarrah passing when he should have shot. Full back missed the goal completely. Clee always looking to build, with Hannah dropping short and Vernon willing to run the channels if needed. Should really have been 4-1 to Clee at half time.

Disastrous start to the second half as central defender Middleton slammed the ball into his own net. 1-1. Glossop had already started to up the tempo and double up against Venney who was the creator in chief. The ref missed some late niggles and sandwich tackles but Josh kept driving forward. Sadly, several Clee players failed to maintain the same energy so that the Glossop back line remained solid. Vernons best moment was a drive from the edge of the box which brought a wonder save from their keeper.

Surprisingly, Hannah was subbed for a winger who was neat but no threat to their defence. Glossop's physicality, and improved passing pressed Clee back and scored through Mensah who was allowed a shot by defenders backing off. Classic case of failing to capitalise on chances in the first half and errors at the back. A sending off for each side late on only slightly tarnished an entertaining game.

Clee clearly lack pace up front and some height in midfield but this was a game which could have been theirs on chances created.

Anyone attending a game at this level has to manage their own risk. I was able to walk all round the pitch, spectators were retrieving the ball for players, and the home support clustered around cheering and clapping their team as they walked to the dressing rooms. Homely club though.

In terms of injuries and fitness, two players cramped up a little, no trainers came on and all subs were tactical as far as I could see.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, September 26, 2020, 8:53pm; Reply: 1
Good level, I was at Spalding v Carlton today. Referee was terrible. The Carlton 10 got booked early on for criticism and must have had half a dozen final warnings. The Carlton 9 got a booking in the second half for criticism too. In a crowd of 136, you could hear the players and coaching staff.

Shane Clarke, a tall and combative midfielder previously of Lincoln, Boston and Gainsborough got both goals. Another notable player in the Spalding line-up was Spencer Weir-Daley.

A lot of hard challenges, the ball rarely on the floor but a good game with 7 bookings, most for criticism. The two Spalding centre halves carried a bit of timber but their number 2 was a very impressive young lad. The Carlton team looked young and talented but ultimately they were out muscled.

On entry there was an old bloke with a notepad but posters were everywhere to scan on the NHS app which I did. Headed straight to the bar for a coffee and the only people in there wearing a mask was me and one of the old women behind the bar.

Plenty of room to space up, some elements of the away support were clustered together but most people were sat or stood in plenty of space. Spalding officials were sat in front of me. Around 8 of them all huddled together which didn't set a great example.

Spalding kept going down but there was a number of rough challenges and they were defending a lead so not sure how genuine or tactical they were.

Lincoln United v Cleethorpes for me on Tuesday.
Posted by: friskneymariner, September 26, 2020, 8:55pm; Reply: 2
Remember Karl Hawley destroying us when we played Carlisle.
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, September 26, 2020, 9:04pm; Reply: 3
Watched Boroughbridge v Huddersfield Amateurs 3-1 to home side with about 40 watching. No checks not many masks. Tea and coffee available

Nice setup with cricket, bowls, tennis and two soccer pitches on the site. Just nice to get out. Only downside on way back on Radio Blunderside had to listen to the other two local sides win.

Could have been worse. Mariners still on zero points but a draw at Cheltenham would have put us 4 th bottom with just 43 games to go.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 26, 2020, 9:26pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Croxton
Glossop 2   Clee Town 1

Very enjoyable experience. Easy access, write your contact details in an exercise book ( literally a Mickey Mouse operation), mask off inside unless visiting the loo or getting refreshments and flasks allowed! Some stewarding and a few announcements but largely the crowd policed themselves.
Karl Hawley led the Glossop attack and was easily contained by the Clee central defenders in the first half. Clee took the lead after a sweeping move, Vernon prodding home Hannah's assist. Venney had a free role and covered every blade of grass. Easily my MOM. Glossop missed three sitters in the same six yard melee but apart from that, they were too long and over hit crosses. Clee missed several chances, a Vernon header at the far post and Winfarrah passing when he should have shot. Full back missed the goal completely. Clee always looking to build, with Hannah dropping short and Vernon willing to run the channels if needed. Should really have been 4-1 to Clee at half time.

Disastrous start to the second half as central defender Middleton slammed the ball into his own net. 1-1. Glossop had already started to up the tempo and double up against Venney who was the creator in chief. The ref missed some late niggles and sandwich tackles but Josh kept driving forward. Sadly, several Clee players failed to maintain the same energy so that the Glossop back line remained solid. Vernons best moment was a drive from the edge of the box which brought a wonder save from their keeper.

Surprisingly, Hannah was subbed for a winger who was neat but no threat to their defence. Glossop's physicality, and improved passing pressed Clee back and scored through Mensah who was allowed a shot by defenders backing off. Classic case of failing to capitalise on chances in the first half and errors at the back. A sending off for each side late on only slightly tarnished an entertaining game.

Clee clearly lack pace up front and some height in midfield but this was a game which could have been theirs on chances created.

Anyone attending a game at this level has to manage their own risk. I was able to walk all round the pitch, spectators were retrieving the ball for players, and the home support clustered around cheering and clapping their team as they walked to the dressing rooms. Homely club though.

In terms of injuries and fitness, two players cramped up a little, no trainers came on and all subs were tactical as far as I could see.

From that crop of Youth I thought Josh Venney would have been the one who’d have broken through
Posted by: RichMariner, September 26, 2020, 9:42pm; Reply: 5
Who was our first team manager when Venney was a youth team player?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 26, 2020, 9:49pm; Reply: 6
Good reports folks. Wish I’d gone to a game instead of going to B&Q for kitchen tiles.
Posted by: Croxton, September 26, 2020, 10:05pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from HertsGTFC

From that crop of Youth I thought Josh Venney would have been the one who’d have broken through

First time I've seen him. When I saw the relative size of the Glossop team I feared for his safety, but his touch, balance and sheer tenacity took him past several players in tight spaces. Other members of the team were happy to feed him the ball but they passed their workload on to him. He would have loved to have had Max on the wing to pass to I'm sure.
Posted by: Croxton, September 26, 2020, 10:37pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from friskneymariner
Remember Karl Hawley destroying us when we played Carlisle.

Edit:-
My apologies for the typo, now corrected. It was Kyle Hawley not Karl. Karl retired in 2017 apparently!
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, September 26, 2020, 10:40pm; Reply: 9
Didn’t Hawley score 2 goals once for Carlisle against us at BP?  In an impressive performance.
Posted by: Croxton, September 26, 2020, 10:46pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Didn’t Hawley score 2 goals once for Carlisle against us at BP?  In an impressive performance.

See edit above. Sorry Town SNAFU5.
Posted by: ex-merseymariner, September 27, 2020, 9:10am; Reply: 11
Quoted from RichMariner
Who was our first team manager when Venney was a youth team player?

Hurst surely.

Havent checked but recall clifton and venney in the same crop of new pros possibly the year after the brizzle wembley defeat.

Posted by: Davec, September 27, 2020, 10:12am; Reply: 12
Quoted from ex-merseymariner

Hurst surely.

Havent checked but recall clifton and venney in the same crop of new pros possibly the year after the brizzle wembley defeat.

Yes it was Hurst and if I remember right Wright and Venney were then released by Slade however Wright got invited back into training and he managed to earn himself a new deal.
Posted by: Abdul19, September 27, 2020, 11:55am; Reply: 13
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

Zigor Aranalde scored twice for Carlisle against us at BP, in a game Hawley played. But he was a Spanish left back!
Print page generated: April 25, 2024, 2:04pm