7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
scrumble
September 26, 2020, 5:16pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +983
Gold Stars: 10
"Guidance" and advice is a lovely get out for the FA and EFL. What we should have had is rules "if a player tests positive then that quarantines for x number of days" but they don't want the responsibility. Instead they pass the buck and leave it for clubs to interpret and ignore

Byddwn ond yn canu pan fyddwn yn pysgota
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 63
pen penfras
September 26, 2020, 5:26pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
If this season was to start, the bare minimum that was needed was a protocol on what happens when a player tests positive. Right now we seem to have the clubs calling the shots and seemingly threats of punishment for following the governments advice. Leyton Orient had 5 players with it, now 17 have. How on earth clubs can play whilst saying the affected players are isolated and the rest of the squad are ok when it spreads so easily and has up to 10 day incubation period is beyond me.

That also brings up the question of how a 14 day isolation period after being in contact with somebody is enough. 10 days incubation period, then you're symptomless so carry on as normal after 14 days and spread it around. Particularly at a football club where the players are all young and healthy individuals. I bet if every football player was tested, we'd have cases almost everywhere.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 63
Meza
September 26, 2020, 5:32pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,638
Gold Stars: 50
What are the rules for when a player gets covid and a fixture is postponed?  Have the EFL explained if there will be a fine \ points deduction even if a player test positive for covid.  Sounds like the EFL want to keep the covid hush hush from reading other statements and posts online, and i bet if Town did pay for the tests the EFL would have allowed the game to go ahead even if they were advised not to bother.  I certainly hope they have this in writing.

I fear a points deduction.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 63
pen penfras
September 26, 2020, 5:34pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
The EFL have released a 142 page document of guidelines on covid "stage 3 guidance", whatever that means. Along with 4 other 40+ page doucments.

page 6 of that lists the medical requirements as being up to the team to decide. How on earth does it make sense that every team in the country should do the same bit of work with a medical team, and they will all come up with different answers.

https://www.efl.com/siteassets......20-full-version.pdf

Quoted Text

MEDICAL PLAN
A full medical plan will need to be produced that includes all aspects relating to Covid-19. Advice
and guidance in this respect should be sought from the relevant medical authorities including the
Clubs own medical team. It is likely that there will be a number of new processes to consider. As a
minimum, these should include the following:
 process for self-reporting/self-declaration (questionnaire example, see Annex 2)
 consideration of temperature check on entering the stadium / multiple entry / testing
points at the discretion of the Club
 process for staff displaying symptoms / provision of isolation room
 self-isolation policy
 hygiene policies and procedures
 minimum medical staff required (both on pitch and off pitch)
 equipment required on site including first aid facilities / ambulances where required
under the Regulations etc.
 processes for social distancing throughout stadium
 PPE requirements including donning and doffing areas and safe disposal of used PPE
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 63
MarinersOnTheUp
September 26, 2020, 7:36pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +22 / -2
Approval: +484
I don't post here often but for those not on twitter I thought I'd share this here too;

Hopefully to try and make things a bit clearer for anyone confused here's an explanation of the situation with the testing, why it's was right for us not to have played today, why the Stevenage v Bradford game was a huge risk and what the EFL should've already had in place incase of, or even better to try and avoid this exact situation.

Our first identified case was 4 days ago. Covid 19 has what's called an incubation period. This means somebody who has caught the virus can be infected but not show any symptoms, there is a chance that if somebody is tested during this incubation period they will return a negative test - it's also important to note that during this time a person who has the virus is still able to pass it on to others despite not showing any symptoms and receiving a negative test result. This means that if we'd have tested our whole team now as we originally suggested, there's a chance any further cases could've actually returned a negative test result while still being infectious. That is the reason it's right that we didn't play, the most important thing is protecting ourselves as far as possible and of course to avoid putting Cheltenham at risk which we now have done.

There is absolutely no way the Stevenage v Bradford game should've gone ahead today, I don't care what the EFL or their advisors say, medically it makes absolutely no sense for it to have been played.

Stevenage are in almost an identical situation, except their players and staff last had contact with the initial infected player only 2 days ago. They tested the rest of their squad yesterday which identified a further two cases. The problem is the incubation period means there's a reasonable chance they do actually have even more cases within their squad that weren't identified on tests (again because of the incubation period). This made it a huge risk for the Stevenage v Bradford game to have gone ahead today... not only are their health concerns which is the main thing but if anything was passed on to Bradford that'd cause even more disruption, especially if they now play and pass it on to another club - it could easily become a domino effect through the league.

The issue is for me, there doesn't (or at least we aren't aware of) any clear guidance from the FA/EFL that sets out exactly what should happen of a club has a positive case. The season should never have been allowed to start without this in place (nor without consideration for the financial burden on clubs who's only income is from fans but that's a whole different saga).

Further to this, (not that it matters what I think but I'm going speak my mind anyway)

The EFL and FA have to set out clear RULES (not guidance) on what needs to happen if a club identifies a potential case of COVID-19.

1) From the moment the first player or staff member develops symptoms the club should isolate. The initial symptomatic player should be tested immediately, if that test is negative everyone else can return to normal.

2) If that case is positive, the rest of the club should enter a mandatory self isolation period of 6 days, with everyone tested on the 7th. Any matches scheduled during this time should be postponed.

3) Anybody who receives a negative test result from these tests should be able to return to training. Anybody who tests positive should enter a 10 day period of isolation from the date of the test, or onset of symptoms - whichever was first.

4) At the end of the 10 day isolation period, those people can return to training. UNLESS they still have a fever, in which case they just remain isolated until their temperature has returned to normal.

5) Players and staff should have their temperature taken by club medical staff in level 2 PPE before training and on match days before they come into contact with another player or staff member to reduce the risk of infection.

6) Clubs should not be penalised for failing to fulfil fixtures if they are unable to play due to a COVID outbreak.

7) A clear threshold should be set, where if so many clubs report cases within a similar time period the league should be temporarily suspended for 14 days, with review. Clubs can train during this time if they have no cases.

Ideally we'd have regular testing on top of these measures but it doesn't look like that will happen at our level. I realise this is less than ideal but small disruptions to individual clubs could be the only way to avoid a domino effect of disruption through entire league, possibly several leagues which would be even more catastrophic for clubs already on the edge. I think there should be questions as to why the league was started anyway but if we are going to press ahead then clear and exact rules have to be set by those in charge.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 63
GrimRob
September 26, 2020, 7:40pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from MarinersOnTheUp
I don't post here often but for those not on twitter I thought I'd share this here too;

Hopefully to try and make things a bit clearer for anyone confused here's an explanation of the situation with the testing, why it's was right for us not to have played today, why the Stevenage v Bradford game was a huge risk and what the EFL should've already had in place incase of, or even better to try and avoid this exact situation.

Our first identified case was 4 days ago. Covid 19 has what's called an incubation period. This means somebody who has caught the virus can be infected but not show any symptoms, there is a chance that if somebody is tested during this incubation period they will return a negative test - it's also important to note that during this time a person who has the virus is still able to pass it on to others despite not showing any symptoms and receiving a negative test result. This means that if we'd have tested our whole team now as we originally suggested, there's a chance any further cases could've actually returned a negative test result while still being infectious. That is the reason it's right that we didn't play, the most important thing is protecting ourselves as far as possible and of course to avoid putting Cheltenham at risk which we now have done.

There is absolutely no way the Stevenage v Bradford game should've gone ahead today, I don't care what the EFL or their advisors say, medically it makes absolutely no sense for it to have been played.

Stevenage are in almost an identical situation, except their players and staff last had contact with the initial infected player only 2 days ago. They tested the rest of their squad yesterday which identified a further two cases. The problem is the incubation period means there's a reasonable chance they do actually have even more cases within their squad that weren't identified on tests (again because of the incubation period). This made it a huge risk for the Stevenage v Bradford game to have gone ahead today... not only are their health concerns which is the main thing but if anything was passed on to Bradford that'd cause even more disruption, especially if they now play and pass it on to another club - it could easily become a domino effect through the league.

The issue is for me, there doesn't (or at least we aren't aware of) any clear guidance from the FA/EFL that sets out exactly what should happen of a club has a positive case. The season should never have been allowed to start without this in place (nor without consideration for the financial burden on clubs who's only income is from fans but that's a whole different saga).

Further to this, (not that it matters what I think but I'm going speak my mind anyway)

The @EFL and @FA have to set out clear RULES (not guidance) on what needs to happen if a club identifies a potential case of COVID-19.

1) From the moment the first player or staff member develops symptoms the club should isolate. The initial symptomatic player should be tested immediately, if that test is negative everyone else can return to normal.

2) If that case is positive, the rest of the club should enter a mandatory self isolation period of 6 days, with everyone tested on the 7th. Any matches scheduled during this time should be postponed.

3) Anybody who receives a negative test result from these tests should be able to return to training. Anybody who tests positive should enter a 10 day period of isolation from the date of the test, or onset of symptoms - whichever was first.

4) At the end of the 10 day isolation period, those people can return to training. UNLESS they still have a fever, in which case they just remain isolated until their temperature has returned to normal.

5) Players and staff should have their temperature taken by club medical staff in level 2 PPE before training and on match days before they come into contact with another player or staff member to reduce the risk of infection.

6) Clubs should not be penalised for failing to fulfil fixtures if they are unable to play due to a COVID outbreak.

7) A clear threshold should be set, where if so many clubs report cases within a similar time period the league should be temporarily suspended for 14 days, with review. Clubs can train during this time if they have no cases.

Ideally we'd have regular testing on top of these measures but it doesn't look like that will happen at our level. I realise this is less than ideal but small disruptions to individual clubs could be the only way to avoid a domino effect of disruption through entire league, possibly several leagues which would be even more catastrophic for clubs already on the edge. I think there should be questions as to why the league was started anyway but if we are going to press ahead then clear and exact rules have to be set by those in charge.

Brilliant, should replace the EFL's 142-page document which obviously nobody will have read!

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 45 - 63
norfuk mariner
September 26, 2020, 8:09pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: +200
Gold Stars: 2
Be ironic if GTFC v Bradford is called off because Bantam players have contracted Covid ??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 63
jamesgtfc
September 26, 2020, 8:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,953
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from norfuk mariner
Be ironic if GTFC v Bradford is called off because Bantam players have contracted Covid ??

Bradford will soon be moaning that they have positives. I bet they get a positive before next weekend after today. If the EFL make us go ahead with Bradford next weekend and they subsequently get a positive test result before the weekend, I hope we stand up for ourselves.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 63
moosey_club
September 26, 2020, 11:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,243
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Bradford moaning that they have positives. I bet they get a positive before next weekend after today. If the EFL make us go ahead with Bradford next weekend and they subsequently get a positive test result before the weekend, I hope we stand up for ourselves.

Eh ??

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 63
KingstonMariner
September 27, 2020, 12:05am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from ginnywings

Or the others have made a pigs ear of it allowing their games to go ahead? Two ways of looking at it, but what's clear is that the EFL have no clear guidelines, and have basically said " you decide".

Seems we have put the health of the players and their families first and foremost. Will wait and see what transpires on Monday...

Which given the club is the players’ employer may be the sensible thing to do. It’s machine the outcry if we’d gone ahead, played games and had an outbreak and then got sued for knowingly endangering employees health.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 63
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Stevenage Game On

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.