Jackson and Touray

This thread currently has 7,050 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
58mariner
September 22, 2020, 1:13pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: -80
So Ollie has said he is desperate for another striker. And that he will (almost begrudgingly it would seem) give Montel Gibson a try upfront to help Green. Montel Gibson a striker we signed this summer on a 3 year deal.

Yet for weeks now I’ve not seen or heard anything of Ira Jackson (2 year deal) and Touray Sisay (1 year deal) two other strikers we signed with apparent high hopes and excitement this summer. Where are they? Why areant they involved? Surely seems a waste of resources in this current climate signing players we areant going to use?

And if they areant fit yet, why not? Two relatively young lads who have played semi pro given 2 months to get fit? Surely ready for the bench at least?

I may have missed something and happy to be put in my place but something doesn’t quite seem to add up?

Private Message
toontown
September 22, 2020, 1:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,159
Gold Stars: 69
Does seem odd that neither of them are even making the bench under the current circumstances.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 30
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
September 22, 2020, 2:10pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +786
Gold Stars: 113
What seems odd to me is that although they played non-league football, and only trained at most twice a week, they were still able to play full matches once or sometimes twice a week too.
So why are they both not even fit enough to make the bench.
Considering match after match Ollie bangs on about playing the youngsters.
Give Green a match off and throw Sisay in at the deep end up front, and at least stick Jackson Jnr on the bench for a 30 minute cameo.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 30
Hagrid
September 22, 2020, 2:13pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,987
Gold Stars: 507
ridiculous that they havent even been on the bench over a 15 year old kid
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 30
Welwynmariner
September 22, 2020, 2:26pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +337
Gold Stars: 1
Jackson has only ever been part-time as far as I know and so won't be anywhere near as fit as the Town juniors. He's also only used to playing against part-timers, so he will have a long way to go.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 30
jamesgtfc
September 22, 2020, 2:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,815
Gold Stars: 187
Quoted from Welwynmariner
Jackson has only ever been part-time as far as I know and so won't be anywhere near as fit as the Town juniors. He's also only used to playing against part-timers, so he will have a long way to go.

I'm not being funny but the juniors can't be that fit for a number of reasons.

They aren't physically developed and they are sat in a classroom at school for 30 hours every week so I would expect the likes of Jackson and Sisay to be fitter than them.

In fact, Jackson claims to have trained like a pro despite being part-time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 30
diehardmariner
September 22, 2020, 2:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,091
Gold Stars: 518
Fully accepting that these two lads may take a bit of time to get up to speed.  

But there's absolutely no chance that they should be fitter than a lad who's just entered his final year at school.  
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 30
Mayaman
September 22, 2020, 3:08pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,259
Gold Stars: 71
Surely, that's what we bought them for , isn't it?  I was completely confused.  If it's down to fitness only they should be on the bench.  We could have done with some fire power last weekend.  They couldn't have done much worse than Taylor.  A patient straight off a CVOD ward would have put more effort in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 30
58mariner
September 22, 2020, 3:18pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: -80
Have to agree with you all. And I’m sorry but if I’ve just joined a club off the back of a pretty prolific scoring record at a lower league club and I’m chomping at the bit to play league football for the first time I’d be doing everything in my power every day to get fit. What else is there to do every day if they are now “full time pro’s”?! And surely having a 15 year old picked ahead of me would be a kick in the teeth / extra motivation?

At what stage does it become Holloway’s mistake bringing them in if not capable to play?
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 30
toontown
September 22, 2020, 5:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,159
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from diehardmariner

But there's absolutely no chance that they should be fitter than a lad who's just entered his final year at school.  

Did you miss out a 'not there? As in
theres absolutely no chance that they should  not be fitter than a lad who's just entered his final year at school?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 30
pontoonlew
September 22, 2020, 6:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,721
Gold Stars: 163
These guys were signed as cheap punts let’s face it, our fan base seem absolutely deluded about what level they’re likely to be coming in and performing at. We absolutely need a proven striker but I fear today’s news has ended that hope.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 30
Gaffer58
September 22, 2020, 6:39pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,034
Gold Stars: 31
Surely to get match fit they need to play matches, even half fit they could come on with 25/30 minutes to go.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 30
Heisenberg
September 22, 2020, 7:50pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,814
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from diehardmariner

I‘m pretty sure I saw the kid running presumably from Healing to Wybers earlier, so if he’s out training after school every day, maybe he’s as fit as a fiddle.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 30
Les Brechin
September 22, 2020, 7:51pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,644
Gold Stars: 168
Didn't Jackson come on as a sub v Harrogate. I even think he scored one of our penalties.

Obviously couldn't have impressed Ollie enough to get in a league squad.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 30
fishboyUTM
September 22, 2020, 9:42pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,046
Gold Stars: 40
I like Matt Green, I know he gets criticised by many but one thing you can not accuse him of is a lack of effort. He gives his all every game.

But, and I'm sorry there is a but. He is quite simply past his best. When we signed him on a two year deal from a Conference side (at the time), he had barely played and was 32 years old. He was clearly on the decline and we brought him back into league football. He has troubled us over the years as an opponent cutting inside from the left of a three with his acceleration. That acceleration has gone now, we seem intent on playing him as a target man down the middle, a role which he isn't really suited. His touch seems to have deserted him as well, his second touch usually a tackle and he doesn't receive the ball well.

Matt Green is not the answer, anyone with eyes can see that. Not sure how far Jackson and Sisay are away but they must be seriously behind if this Matt Green is keeping them out of the side. I trust Ollies judgement and he must have brought them to the club for a reason.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 30
pen penfras
September 23, 2020, 8:08am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -137
Quoted from fishboyUTM
I like Matt Green, I know he gets criticised by many but one thing you can not accuse him of is a lack of effort. He gives his all every game.

But, and I'm sorry there is a but. He is quite simply past his best. When we signed him on a two year deal from a Conference side (at the time), he had barely played and was 32 years old. He was clearly on the decline and we brought him back into league football. He has troubled us over the years as an opponent cutting inside from the left of a three with his acceleration. That acceleration has gone now, we seem intent on playing him as a target man down the middle, a role which he isn't really suited. His touch seems to have deserted him as well, his second touch usually a tackle and he doesn't receive the ball well.

Matt Green is not the answer, anyone with eyes can see that. Not sure how far Jackson and Sisay are away but they must be seriously behind if this Matt Green is keeping them out of the side. I trust Ollies judgement and he must have brought them to the club for a reason.

Considering Matt Green has played most games as a target man, and that's not his game, I think he's done ok. He was bang out of form for part of last season and lacking confidence. He's still playing a role that doesn't suit his game and giving everything. He'd be much better with some support up there. Against Walsall, he got one chance with the ball on the ground and showed some good pace to get away from their man and get a shot away.

He certainly hasn't been what we wanted, but I don't think the way we played under Jolley suited anybody and he's not played in his best position since.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 30
Heswall Mariner
September 23, 2020, 1:29pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +580
Gold Stars: 30
Given the latest news I guess we can whistle Dixie on any additions to the squad.
Ollie brought a relative shed load of strikers in during August - he sees them in training most days of the week & should know all about his new recruits ability/potential by now.
Surely he's got to be giving them game time soon - our options up front currently seem very limited.
Not sure about this lack of fitness reasoning -  just give Jackson & Gibson a half each soon - particularly if we remain goalless again on Saturday. It's not like they have just arrived from a Sunday league pub team.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 30
Welwynmariner
September 23, 2020, 2:39pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +337
Gold Stars: 1
Maybe Town will be able to keep going on reduced income and expenditure whilst others go the way of Macclesfield?

It's going to be odd that non-League sides can admit 30% of their capacity when anyone above National league North/South can't. How will the FA Cup proceed when NLS/N clubs come in at the next round?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 30
Kris2
September 23, 2020, 6:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,617
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Gaffer58
Surely to get match fit they need to play matches, even half fit they could come on with 25/30 minutes to go.

Unfortunately we don't know what's happening on the training ground and at the club right now, we know the major injuries but we don't know who isn't quite fit yet or not ready for games. I also don't support throwing people in at the deep end when they need development and coaching. Judging by the reactions of fans to two games I don't think  it'd be fair to throw the likes of these guys at the fury of the fans before they've had the opportunity to learn more and get some coaching.

I've felt bad for Gibson who while trying his best, doesn't yet have the knowledge and ability in him to play against tougher opposition than he has in the past. Our fans do not have patience, they expect the best or they expect you to go. We unfortunately need some patience so these players can give their best but no idea if they'll get it. We are going to struggle to sign any sort of big names or experienced players in the current climate so getting some young players in the team to get experience might boost our ranks, but I don't believe in throwing people in before they are ready. Certainly shouldn't be playing a kid who still has an education to think about regularly.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 30
Henryscat
September 23, 2020, 10:52pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,395
With Boyd only being 15 is there a limit to how many times we can pick him in the squad legally?

Maybe Ollie is doing this early to allow the others to get “up to speed” whilst training full time.

I don’t know the answer to the dilemma but I do have faith that Ollie knows what he’s doing.

I’m still not ruling out the experienced striker he wants to bring in yet either.

Panic on the streets of Carlisle, Dublin, Dundee, Humberside
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 30
Mariner_501
September 24, 2020, 7:51am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +14 / -8
Approval: +161
Gold Stars: 27
Agreed. As I’ve mentioned on here previously, if they are significantly worse than Green then what’s the point in signing them? Waste of money
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 30
Swansea_Mariner
September 24, 2020, 8:01am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,387
Gold Stars: 62
Why feel bad for Gibson, he looks like he is clearly up to it to me, Ollie seems to think he's deserving a start too from the last interview.

Throw him in I say, he's like 23, give him a run of games not 10-15 mins here and there
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 30
pen penfras
September 24, 2020, 8:02am

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Henryscat
With Boyd only being 15 is there a limit to how many times we can pick him in the squad legally?

Maybe Ollie is doing this early to allow the others to get “up to speed” whilst training full time.

I don’t know the answer to the dilemma but I do have faith that Ollie knows what he’s doing.

I’m still not ruling out the experienced striker he wants to bring in yet either.

I don't think there's a limit to how much he can play, but obviously we need to put his best interests first.

I believe there's a bit of interest in him from big clubs and I'm wondering if Ollie is trying to increase his value when it goes to a tribunal by putting him in matchday squads. It will also help his confidence and development by being around the first team squad for games and is a reward for his good goal, even if it was more likely a one off than likely to be a regular thing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 30
jamesgtfc
September 24, 2020, 9:05am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,815
Gold Stars: 187
Quoted from pen penfras

I don't think there's a limit to how much he can play, but obviously we need to put his best interests first.

I believe there's a bit of interest in him from big clubs and I'm wondering if Ollie is trying to increase his value when it goes to a tribunal by putting him in matchday squads. It will also help his confidence and development by being around the first team squad for games and is a reward for his good goal, even if it was more likely a one off than likely to be a regular thing.

It sends a message that you will get played if you are good enough. It would hopefully push the value up too but if it makes a couple of talented kids stay here a bit longer because they believe we are actually good for their long-term development then I am all for it.

I don't think Boyd can sign a pro deal until he's 17 so we've got a vulnerable year. The system picks up talented academy kids. Adam Drury was at Man City and currently plays for Grimsby Borough, Lewis Collins was at Reading and is now at Gainsborough via Cleethorpes Town. By playing Boyd and giving him an appetite for life around the first team, we are increasing the chances of someone coming in. If they do though, you hope the tribunal price is now pushed up but it also increases the chance of those advising him and other kids on our books that staying here is the best thing for their career.

When Pollock goes, that will help us too because it shows that we are a great platform for promising youngsters.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 30
ginnywings
September 24, 2020, 9:10am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Just let the manager manage. He knows the players and their capabilities better than we do.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 30
diehardmariner
September 24, 2020, 9:17am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,091
Gold Stars: 518
Quoted from toontown

Did you miss out a 'not there? As in
theres absolutely no chance that they should  not be fitter than a lad who's just entered his final year at school?

Yes, definitely.

Thank you.

More haste less speed needed.
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 30
Kris2
September 24, 2020, 2:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,617
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
Why feel bad for Gibson, he looks like he is clearly up to it to me, Ollie seems to think he's deserving a start too from the last interview.

Throw him in I say, he's like 23, give him a run of games not 10-15 mins here and there

It's more feeling bad because he has scapegoat written all over him. People were already turning on him after the last game so I don't think it's long before he becomes the whipping boy however unfair that may be. Of course he's up for it but he has a lot to learn and it's hard to do that under pressure with fan rage destroying your confidence.
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 30
pen penfras
September 24, 2020, 4:38pm

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Kris2

It's more feeling bad because he has scapegoat written all over him. People were already turning on him after the last game so I don't think it's long before he becomes the whipping boy however unfair that may be. Of course he's up for it but he has a lot to learn and it's hard to do that under pressure with fan rage destroying your confidence.

Who was turning on Gibson? He did well when he came on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 30
louth_in_the_south
September 24, 2020, 6:15pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +5,552
Gold Stars: 94
I don’t remember reading many fans knocking him

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 30
Abdul19
September 24, 2020, 7:32pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 30
September 24, 2020, 8:36pm
Guest User
Liverpool are sniffing around Boyd, was b4 debut etc you don't play 15 year olds unless they are screaming how good they are. Will he go to Liverpool most likely not but that echelon if scouts are circling
Reply: 30 - 30
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Jackson and Touray

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.