4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
pontoonlew
September 22, 2020, 6:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,812
Gold Stars: 167
These guys were signed as cheap punts let’s face it, our fan base seem absolutely deluded about what level they’re likely to be coming in and performing at. We absolutely need a proven striker but I fear today’s news has ended that hope.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 30
Gaffer58
September 22, 2020, 6:39pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,083
Gold Stars: 31
Surely to get match fit they need to play matches, even half fit they could come on with 25/30 minutes to go.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 30
Heisenberg
September 22, 2020, 7:50pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,937
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from diehardmariner
Fully accepting that these two lads may take a bit of time to get up to speed.  

But there's absolutely no chance that they should be fitter than a lad who's just entered his final year at school.  

I‘m pretty sure I saw the kid running presumably from Healing to Wybers earlier, so if he’s out training after school every day, maybe he’s as fit as a fiddle.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 30
Les Brechin
September 22, 2020, 7:51pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,688
Gold Stars: 174
Didn't Jackson come on as a sub v Harrogate. I even think he scored one of our penalties.

Obviously couldn't have impressed Ollie enough to get in a league squad.

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 30
fishboyUTM
September 22, 2020, 9:42pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,067
Gold Stars: 40
I like Matt Green, I know he gets criticised by many but one thing you can not accuse him of is a lack of effort. He gives his all every game.

But, and I'm sorry there is a but. He is quite simply past his best. When we signed him on a two year deal from a Conference side (at the time), he had barely played and was 32 years old. He was clearly on the decline and we brought him back into league football. He has troubled us over the years as an opponent cutting inside from the left of a three with his acceleration. That acceleration has gone now, we seem intent on playing him as a target man down the middle, a role which he isn't really suited. His touch seems to have deserted him as well, his second touch usually a tackle and he doesn't receive the ball well.

Matt Green is not the answer, anyone with eyes can see that. Not sure how far Jackson and Sisay are away but they must be seriously behind if this Matt Green is keeping them out of the side. I trust Ollies judgement and he must have brought them to the club for a reason.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 30
pen penfras
September 23, 2020, 8:08am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from fishboyUTM
I like Matt Green, I know he gets criticised by many but one thing you can not accuse him of is a lack of effort. He gives his all every game.

But, and I'm sorry there is a but. He is quite simply past his best. When we signed him on a two year deal from a Conference side (at the time), he had barely played and was 32 years old. He was clearly on the decline and we brought him back into league football. He has troubled us over the years as an opponent cutting inside from the left of a three with his acceleration. That acceleration has gone now, we seem intent on playing him as a target man down the middle, a role which he isn't really suited. His touch seems to have deserted him as well, his second touch usually a tackle and he doesn't receive the ball well.

Matt Green is not the answer, anyone with eyes can see that. Not sure how far Jackson and Sisay are away but they must be seriously behind if this Matt Green is keeping them out of the side. I trust Ollies judgement and he must have brought them to the club for a reason.

Considering Matt Green has played most games as a target man, and that's not his game, I think he's done ok. He was bang out of form for part of last season and lacking confidence. He's still playing a role that doesn't suit his game and giving everything. He'd be much better with some support up there. Against Walsall, he got one chance with the ball on the ground and showed some good pace to get away from their man and get a shot away.

He certainly hasn't been what we wanted, but I don't think the way we played under Jolley suited anybody and he's not played in his best position since.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 30
Heswall Mariner
September 23, 2020, 1:29pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +580
Gold Stars: 30
Given the latest news I guess we can whistle Dixie on any additions to the squad.
Ollie brought a relative shed load of strikers in during August - he sees them in training most days of the week & should know all about his new recruits ability/potential by now.
Surely he's got to be giving them game time soon - our options up front currently seem very limited.
Not sure about this lack of fitness reasoning -  just give Jackson & Gibson a half each soon - particularly if we remain goalless again on Saturday. It's not like they have just arrived from a Sunday league pub team.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 30
Welwynmariner
September 23, 2020, 2:39pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +337
Gold Stars: 1
Maybe Town will be able to keep going on reduced income and expenditure whilst others go the way of Macclesfield?

It's going to be odd that non-League sides can admit 30% of their capacity when anyone above National league North/South can't. How will the FA Cup proceed when NLS/N clubs come in at the next round?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 30
Kris2
September 23, 2020, 6:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,628
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Gaffer58
Surely to get match fit they need to play matches, even half fit they could come on with 25/30 minutes to go.

Unfortunately we don't know what's happening on the training ground and at the club right now, we know the major injuries but we don't know who isn't quite fit yet or not ready for games. I also don't support throwing people in at the deep end when they need development and coaching. Judging by the reactions of fans to two games I don't think  it'd be fair to throw the likes of these guys at the fury of the fans before they've had the opportunity to learn more and get some coaching.

I've felt bad for Gibson who while trying his best, doesn't yet have the knowledge and ability in him to play against tougher opposition than he has in the past. Our fans do not have patience, they expect the best or they expect you to go. We unfortunately need some patience so these players can give their best but no idea if they'll get it. We are going to struggle to sign any sort of big names or experienced players in the current climate so getting some young players in the team to get experience might boost our ranks, but I don't believe in throwing people in before they are ready. Certainly shouldn't be playing a kid who still has an education to think about regularly.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 30
Henryscat
September 23, 2020, 10:52pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,395
With Boyd only being 15 is there a limit to how many times we can pick him in the squad legally?

Maybe Ollie is doing this early to allow the others to get “up to speed” whilst training full time.

I don’t know the answer to the dilemma but I do have faith that Ollie knows what he’s doing.

I’m still not ruling out the experienced striker he wants to bring in yet either.

Panic on the streets of Carlisle, Dublin, Dundee, Humberside
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 30
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Jackson and Touray

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.