pontoonlew
September 22, 2020, 10:27am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,840
Gold Stars: 167
Quoted from pen penfras

It's not just saving face, the criticism against them is constant and not all of it is deserved. Labour are making a huge issue about not having enough testing capacity, but we're testing a lot more than anybody else in europe. Most of what they're doing is in line with that other countries around the world and the WHO are recommending. That's not to say things couldn't be done better, but it's not like there's a formula to follow for this sort of thing and everybody is learning as we go.

As it happens, despite the fact I despise this Tory government, I completely agree with you.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 55
realist
September 22, 2020, 10:52am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,689
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from ginnywings

Well they did underreact the first time round and locked down too little, too late, so I suppose they are trying a new tack now.

Let's see, How can we stop the spread of the virus, while at the same time keeping the cash flowing for our business buddies? I know, let's stop the oiks going to footy and shut the pubs at 10 o'clock. That ought to do it.

They are still p1ssing in the wind, with no idea which way to turn. Meanwhile, proper governments like the one in Germany, did the right things early and came out pretty unscathed.

That is really stretching the truth a bit. Although currently Germany has approx 20% cumulative cases fewer than us, they are definitely not the shining beacon of covid management that you paint.  France was often quoted as better than the UK but their infection rate is soaring at a frightening rate and has zoomed passed the UK totals.
I think it would be fairer to say nobody really knows how to handle this pandemic and the constant critism by the media isnt helping.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 55
diehardmariner
September 22, 2020, 11:21am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,404
Gold Stars: 532
Back to the football....

I'm half expecting Leagues One and Two to be mothballed for the foreseeable future.  By hook or crook the Premier League will survive because of TV monies (although that won't be without significant alterations, as per It Bites' post).  Championship clubs may just survive because of their larger fan base and ability to attract greater streaming audiences/revenues from merchandise etc.

But clubs at our level, not a chance.  The statement from the Colchester chairman proves just what the clubs are up against.  

No-one wants to see it, but how on earth can clubs function like this for a sustained period?
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 55
pontoonlew
September 22, 2020, 11:24am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,840
Gold Stars: 167
Quoted from diehardmariner
Back to the football....

I'm half expecting Leagues One and Two to be mothballed for the foreseeable future.  By hook or crook the Premier League will survive because of TV monies (although that won't be without significant alterations, as per It Bites' post).  Championship clubs may just survive because of their larger fan base and ability to attract greater streaming audiences/revenues from merchandise etc.

But clubs at our level, not a chance.  The statement from the Colchester chairman proves just what the clubs are up against.  

No-one wants to see it, but how on earth can clubs function like this for a sustained period?

With a logical solution that allows crowds outside. It’s not different to pubs, in fact it’s miles better. It’s just a lazy blanket ban with no foresight whatsoever.

There are solutions, they’re just too lazy and too scared of the reaction to do it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 55
diehardmariner
September 22, 2020, 11:30am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,404
Gold Stars: 532
Yeah, I wasn't wanting to get into the political debate of what should and shouldn't be opened/closed.

Personally I think it's a contradiction across the board.  I don't understand why the thinking is that the virus will only come out in pubs after 10pm.  I don't understand why anyone thinks a packed Brewers Fayre on a Tuesday in August is less contagious than a 30% populated and spaced out open air football ground.  

But the reality is that it's happening.  That was my point.  In the reality that we're not going to have fans at our level for the immediate (and likely foreseeable) future, I can't imagine how clubs are going to survive.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 55
Sigone
September 22, 2020, 11:45am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +12 / -4
Approval: +1,615
Gold Stars: 5
Only 1 person the people and more importantly the government should be listening to..carl heneghan...he has already forced the government twice to correctly change policy..I urge all of you to watch/listen to what this guy has to say.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 55
Lincoln Mariner 56
September 22, 2020, 12:23pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,648
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Hagrid
what i dont understand is how France have allowed fans back despite higher cases and deaths than ourseves. The Germans have had fans back in larger numbers. Of course theres no way We are going back 3rd october and theres more important things than us returning to football matches. I just worry for our future and the future of many clubs

Explanation was provided, as I said on another thread, by the fact that current death rates from Covid are now at 0.4% as opposed to 18% earlier in the year. Thus some countries, France being one, have decided risk is now lower than many other ailments so let normality resume.

People will continue to ignore advice in the UK because it’s so contradictory e.g. my lad goes to school in a class of 30, goes football training with 14 others and plays football against another 14. However, after school or after their match no more than 6 of them can play together in the park. This is mirrored in local football which is now up and running and hopefully continues as Cleethorpes Town are due to play Lincoln United a week today so planning to go down and watch for a fix of live football.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 55
Garth
September 22, 2020, 12:42pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from pen penfras

It's not just saving face, the criticism against them is constant and not all of it is deserved. Labour are making a huge issue about not having enough testing capacity, but we're testing a lot more than anybody else in europe. Most of what they're doing is in line with that other countries around the world and the WHO are recommending. That's not to say things couldn't be done better, but it's not like there's a formula to follow for this sort of thing and everybody is learning as we go.

This virus did not come with a book of instructions on how to proceed, Labour are playing politics, sniping on the sidelines with the safety of opposition, can you imagine what it would be like under those chancers
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 55
Hagrid
September 22, 2020, 12:56pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,386
Gold Stars: 527
Quoted from Garth

This virus did not come with a book of instructions on how to proceed, Labour are playing politics, sniping on the sidelines with the safety of opposition, can you imagine what it would be like under those chancers

i mean i cant imagine they'd have made as much of a mess as the shower of shite we have at the moment, but leaving politics out of it, the BBC sport guy, Dan Roan, has tweeted that this isnt a short term measure and they are asking clubs what the chances of survival are if football continues behind closed doors for the foreseeable
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 55
ska face
September 22, 2020, 1:03pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,557
Gold Stars: 839
Quoted from Hagrid

i mean i cant imagine they'd have made as much of a mess as the shower of shite we have at the moment, but leaving politics out of it, the BBC sport guy, Dan Roan, has tweeted that this isnt a short term measure and they are asking clubs what the chances of survival are if football continues behind closed doors for the foreseeable

Phillip Day may come to regret saying we could go a whole year behind closed doors and be fine...

Chequebook time Mr Benign Loans
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 55
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › 3rd October

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.