2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
pontoonlew
September 15, 2020, 8:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +8,981
Gold Stars: 171
It’s all gone a little quiet on this front, still think we need a striker and Holloway appeared to suggest one was close.

Anyone heard anything?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Heisenberg
September 15, 2020, 10:11pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,029
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from pontoonlew
It’s all gone a little quiet on this front, still think we need a striker and Holloway appeared to suggest one was close.

Anyone heard anything?

I wouldn’t get your hopes up; we have Hanson, Green, Sisay, Gibson and Jackson. You could argue that Edwards is a striker too. Unless we’ve written most of them off already?!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 18
Heisenberg
September 15, 2020, 10:16pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,029
Gold Stars: 93
I think we need midfielders, though. I’m really concerned about the ‘boys’ we have there; according to the official site, Louis Boyd, Ben Grist and Harvey Tomlinson were all born on January 1st 1901. An amazing coincidence, but lowering of the squad’s average age should be a priority for Ollie.....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 18
louth_in_the_south
September 15, 2020, 10:57pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,671
Gold Stars: 94
Wouldn’t be surprised if that’s your lot . Do we really have the budget for experienced players ? The promising signs from our young players should mean they get a longer run in the team .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 18
Poojah
September 15, 2020, 11:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,460
Gold Stars: 1,500
I think there’s an element of playing the waiting game right now. There is an unusual number of players without a club right now because clubs are asking / expecting / requiring players to take a significant jump down in terms of their salary.

Everyone is waiting to see who blinks first, but I do think this is a buyers’ market and Town could well benefit from holding their nerve at this time.

The fact Omar remains without a club tells its own story. That still doesn’t make him a viable signing, but there’s no way under usual circumstances he’d be a free agent right now.

Let’s see what the season ticket take up is like as that will no doubt dictate or approach to spending between now and the end of the window, but my gut feel is that there may well still be a pleasant surprise or two towards the end of this month if we play our cards right.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 18
pontoonlew
September 16, 2020, 8:24am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +8,981
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from Heisenberg

I wouldn’t get your hopes up; we have Hanson, Green, Sisay, Gibson and Jackson. You could argue that Edwards is a striker too. Unless we’ve written most of them off already?!

It’s not that they’ve been written off. Hanson is injured already and I think we all know he’s not likely to play as much as we need him to this year. Green had a decent game on Saturday but we really need a better outlet as a starting XI striker.

The other 3 are starting their first ever league seasons, it’s a huge step up and we can’t put the pressure of them starting every week on them.

It’s not that they’ve been written off, but I think you’d be naive to see our striking options and not think we might need one who can regularly start.

The original post got 7 red crosses, not entirely sure why suggesting a signing or two is a terrible thing!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 18
WOZOFGRIMSBY
September 16, 2020, 10:17am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,814
Gold Stars: 178
There are a lot of ‘quality’ players out there still without a club. This, as LITS mentioned, plays into the hands of clubs. I wouldn’t be that surprised to see many a quality player in league 1 or 2 and players that would never have even considered us and many other clubs, will soon have to bite the bullet if they wish to continue their careers.

This goes some way to show you some of the Calibre of English forwards left at present without a club:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.u.....it=2020&yt0=Show

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 18
Poojah
September 16, 2020, 10:43am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,460
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
There are a lot of ‘quality’ players out there still without a club. This, as LITS mentioned, plays into the hands of clubs. I wouldn’t be that surprised to see many a quality player in league 1 or 2 and players that would never have even considered us and many other clubs, will soon have to bite the bullet if they wish to continue their careers.

This goes some way to show you some of the Calibre of English forwards left at present without a club:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.u.....it=2020&yt0=Show

Blimey, Calvin Andrew still going. Can't be many players from our failed attempt at promotion in 2005/6 still going.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 18
WOZOFGRIMSBY
September 16, 2020, 11:03am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,814
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from Poojah

Blimey, Calvin Andrew still going. Can't be many players from our failed attempt at promotion in 2005/6 still going.

Sssssssh Tom bolorinwa is on there  😳😳🤦🏻‍♂️

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 18
Abdul19
September 16, 2020, 11:04am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,536
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from Poojah

Possibly just him and Simon Francis?

I wonder what size Tony 'Craney' Crane is these days?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 18
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Signings

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.