2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
pontoonlew
September 15, 2020, 8:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,841
Gold Stars: 167
It’s all gone a little quiet on this front, still think we need a striker and Holloway appeared to suggest one was close.

Anyone heard anything?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Heisenberg
September 15, 2020, 10:11pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,955
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from pontoonlew
It’s all gone a little quiet on this front, still think we need a striker and Holloway appeared to suggest one was close.

Anyone heard anything?

I wouldn’t get your hopes up; we have Hanson, Green, Sisay, Gibson and Jackson. You could argue that Edwards is a striker too. Unless we’ve written most of them off already?!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 18
Heisenberg
September 15, 2020, 10:16pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,955
Gold Stars: 93
I think we need midfielders, though. I’m really concerned about the ‘boys’ we have there; according to the official site, Louis Boyd, Ben Grist and Harvey Tomlinson were all born on January 1st 1901. An amazing coincidence, but lowering of the squad’s average age should be a priority for Ollie.....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 18
louth_in_the_south
September 15, 2020, 10:57pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +5,656
Gold Stars: 94
Wouldn’t be surprised if that’s your lot . Do we really have the budget for experienced players ? The promising signs from our young players should mean they get a longer run in the team .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 18
Poojah
September 15, 2020, 11:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,428
Gold Stars: 1,499
I think there’s an element of playing the waiting game right now. There is an unusual number of players without a club right now because clubs are asking / expecting / requiring players to take a significant jump down in terms of their salary.

Everyone is waiting to see who blinks first, but I do think this is a buyers’ market and Town could well benefit from holding their nerve at this time.

The fact Omar remains without a club tells its own story. That still doesn’t make him a viable signing, but there’s no way under usual circumstances he’d be a free agent right now.

Let’s see what the season ticket take up is like as that will no doubt dictate or approach to spending between now and the end of the window, but my gut feel is that there may well still be a pleasant surprise or two towards the end of this month if we play our cards right.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 18
pontoonlew
September 16, 2020, 8:24am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -15
Approval: +8,841
Gold Stars: 167
Quoted from Heisenberg

I wouldn’t get your hopes up; we have Hanson, Green, Sisay, Gibson and Jackson. You could argue that Edwards is a striker too. Unless we’ve written most of them off already?!

It’s not that they’ve been written off. Hanson is injured already and I think we all know he’s not likely to play as much as we need him to this year. Green had a decent game on Saturday but we really need a better outlet as a starting XI striker.

The other 3 are starting their first ever league seasons, it’s a huge step up and we can’t put the pressure of them starting every week on them.

It’s not that they’ve been written off, but I think you’d be naive to see our striking options and not think we might need one who can regularly start.

The original post got 7 red crosses, not entirely sure why suggesting a signing or two is a terrible thing!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 18
WOZOFGRIMSBY
September 16, 2020, 10:17am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,798
Gold Stars: 178
There are a lot of ‘quality’ players out there still without a club. This, as LITS mentioned, plays into the hands of clubs. I wouldn’t be that surprised to see many a quality player in league 1 or 2 and players that would never have even considered us and many other clubs, will soon have to bite the bullet if they wish to continue their careers.

This goes some way to show you some of the Calibre of English forwards left at present without a club:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.u.....it=2020&yt0=Show

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 18
Poojah
September 16, 2020, 10:43am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,428
Gold Stars: 1,499
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
There are a lot of ‘quality’ players out there still without a club. This, as LITS mentioned, plays into the hands of clubs. I wouldn’t be that surprised to see many a quality player in league 1 or 2 and players that would never have even considered us and many other clubs, will soon have to bite the bullet if they wish to continue their careers.

This goes some way to show you some of the Calibre of English forwards left at present without a club:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.u.....it=2020&yt0=Show

Blimey, Calvin Andrew still going. Can't be many players from our failed attempt at promotion in 2005/6 still going.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 18
WOZOFGRIMSBY
September 16, 2020, 11:03am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,798
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from Poojah

Blimey, Calvin Andrew still going. Can't be many players from our failed attempt at promotion in 2005/6 still going.

Sssssssh Tom bolorinwa is on there  😳😳🤦🏻‍♂️

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 18
Abdul19
September 16, 2020, 11:04am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,515
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from Poojah

Possibly just him and Simon Francis?

I wonder what size Tony 'Craney' Crane is these days?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 18
RichMariner
September 16, 2020, 1:41pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
This is a hypothetical scenario because it's rare any squad is totally free of injuries, suspensions and everyone is match fit, but I do worry that a couple of these non-league signings may fall away without us seeing them.

Ollie's already said most of them need time to train as full-time pros before they can expect to get in the side, which seems fair enough. And their wages are modest, so no great risks giving them a try for a year.

Sissay appears to be in the Hanson mould, to play through the middle, and then we have loads of players capable of playing wider/off him, like Green, Scannell, Edwards, Tilley, Jackson Jr, Gibson and Max Wright. How do you keep them all happy? Sign another 'experienced' striker and what happens to these strikers when Hanson's fit?

In midfield you have Taylor, Rose and Williams as your first choice in a three, with Clifton and Spokes also capable (and Hewitt an option too, plus Boyd if you wanna chuck him into the equation). Don't know if we need any more players in this area.

At the back it seems quite straightforward, with Waterfall/Mohsni and Pollock as first choice, with Ohman and Idehen as backup in a flat back four. Hendrie and Hewitt options at right back, Preston at left back with Hope waiting in the wings.

My instinct is that we have enough. If we make this 'exicting' signing then great, but I think it'll probably mean one (if not two) players will fall further down the pecking order.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 10 - 18
Northbank Mariner
September 16, 2020, 2:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,443
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from RichMariner
This is a hypothetical scenario because it's rare any squad is totally free of injuries, suspensions and everyone is match fit, but I do worry that a couple of these non-league signings may fall away without us seeing them.

Ollie's already said most of them need time to train as full-time pros before they can expect to get in the side, which seems fair enough. And their wages are modest, so no great risks giving them a try for a year.

Sissay appears to be in the Hanson mould, to play through the middle, and then we have loads of players capable of playing wider/off him, like Green, Scannell, Edwards, Tilley, Jackson Jr, Gibson and Max Wright. How do you keep them all happy? Sign another 'experienced' striker and what happens to these strikers when Hanson's fit?

In midfield you have Taylor, Rose and Williams as your first choice in a three, with Clifton and Spokes also capable (and Hewitt an option too, plus Boyd if you wanna chuck him into the equation). Don't know if we need any more players in this area.

At the back it seems quite straightforward, with Waterfall/Mohsni and Pollock as first choice, with Ohman and Idehen as backup in a flat back four. Hendrie and Hewitt options at right back, Preston at left back with Hope waiting in the wings.

My instinct is that we have enough. If we make this 'exicting' signing then great, but I think it'll probably mean one (if not two) players will fall further down the pecking order.

Nice summary there RM..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 18
pen penfras
September 16, 2020, 2:49pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from RichMariner

What has Ohman done wrong to be backup to 3 other players? He's been our best player in both of the matches he's played this season...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 18
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 17, 2020, 11:03am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
The GT press call sys Ollie is most likely looking at a loan cover for Hanson.

I just wonder how much we shall see of Hanson this season. Could he be a very expensive member of the treatment table brigade?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 18
RichMariner
September 17, 2020, 11:13am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,132
Gold Stars: 209
I think a loan to cover Hanson would be sensible.

I don't know how long it'll take for Sisay to get match fit — only Ollie really knows — and I don't really understand how long Hanson is likely to be out for. I guess the length of this potential loan deal will give us a clue on that.

Given the circumstances, the size of our squad looks very healthy, although I accept large chunks of it are either not fit or totally unknown quantities.

I'm also guessing it's all within budget. Maybe part of Ollie's magic is being able to bring these young loan players from higher divisions on deals where we don't contribute much of the wages.

It's a fascinating squad and I'm interested to see how it does once we find our stride. It could be exciting and full of goals... or it could struggle to ever get going and we limp through another mediocre season full of bit-part performances.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 14 - 18
promotion plaice
September 17, 2020, 12:14pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193

I'm no expert on who we need or what type of player(s) Ollie is still after but just came across this and wondered if we are one of the clubs interested:

It's the "He’s a £900 a week player and they’re trying to get him for £300 a week." bit that made me wonder  

https://the72.co.uk/192554/pet.....erest-loan-possible/

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 18
pen penfras
September 17, 2020, 12:37pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from promotion plaice

I'm no expert on who we need or what type of player(s) Ollie is still after but just came across this and wondered if we are one of the clubs interested:

It's the "He’s a £900 a week player and they’re trying to get him for £300 a week." bit that made me wonder  

https://the72.co.uk/192554/pet.....erest-loan-possible/

Seems a bit odd that they think he's worth a club paying a lot of money on an unproven player which will benefit Peterborough more if he turns out to be good
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 18
Garth
September 17, 2020, 1:15pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from pen penfras

Seems a bit odd that they think he's worth a club paying a lot of money on an unproven player which will benefit Peterborough more if he turns out to be good

Not odd to me, Peterborough are a crafty outfit and run by people that are good at paying nothing, but expecting everything
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 18
jamesgtfc
September 17, 2020, 7:06pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,942
Gold Stars: 190
I always thought a loan was supposed to cheaper for the club receiving that player, especially if it is a young player being sent here to improve and potentially benefit the parent club.

But then again, we are talking about Peterborough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 18
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Signings

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.