10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Abdul19
September 2, 2020, 4:29pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,601
Gold Stars: 219

Town played it pretty well in the early part of Slade Mk1 with Ashley Sestanovitch on the right and somebody I can’t remember (Crowe?) on the left. They had “the Frenchman” in the middle of the park and Reddy up front.  For a few games it looked promising but it leaked goals, Sestanovitch blew a few fuses and left and Slade went with 4 or 5 at the back.

McDermott played right wing back in that system, Sestanovich was part of a very attacking 3 man front line with Reddy and Parkinson.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 92
Malta_Mariner_90
September 2, 2020, 4:48pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +796
Quoted from Son of Cod
Not a good signing, in my opinion. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Let us hope so!

My two pennies is that Scannell on paper fits in with Holloway's ethos of attacking football and hopefully he will have free reign to terrify plenty of L2 fullbacks this season.

I think all the players Holloway signed last season (Clarke, Grandin, Tilley and Garmston) were a success (to varying degrees) so I would trust his judgement more than opposition fans at this stage.

But in your defence some times these opposition fans opinions are more than valid...Sam Kelly anyone?  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 92
davmariner
September 2, 2020, 4:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,970
Gold Stars: 79
I don’t think there’s any doubting that he is a player with ability. The issue I have is whether he’s someone that we are able to rely on given his injury problems. ‘Injury prone’ is something that keeps popping up whenever he’s mentioned.

According to Soccerbase, he’s only played 197 games since 2007. That equates to an average of 15 games per season...

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 92
Heisenberg
September 2, 2020, 5:01pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Why would we waste the best attacking Right-Back in League 2 by playing him at Centre-Back?

Someone suggested IH could play a back 3, but we don't have many centre halves.  If he does play a back 3, Hendrie could play there.  I meant no more than that.

I'd rather have Max Wright bombing down the wing than Luke Hendrie, and I'd rather Luke Hendrie do some defending than Max Wright.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 92
Davec
September 2, 2020, 5:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,455
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from davmariner
I don’t think there’s any doubting that he is a player with ability. The issue I have is whether he’s someone that we are able to rely on given his injury problems. ‘Injury prone’ is something that keeps popping up whenever he’s mentioned.

According to Soccerbase, he’s only played 197 games since 2007. That equates to an average of 15 games per season...

He has played over 300 games, it might be 197 starts
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 92
Malta_Mariner_90
September 2, 2020, 5:27pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +796
Quoted from davmariner

Not to sure how accurate Soccerbase is going back that far. Personally I prefer to use Transfermarkt for these nerdy kind of stats.

[url]https://www.transfermarkt.com/sean-scannell/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/61549/saison//verein/0/liga/0/wettbewerb//pos/0/trainer_id/0/plus/1[/url]

In his career so far he has made a grand total of 368 appearances of which 239 were starts and 129 were sub appearances.

If you want to know as well he has been in 441 match day squads. I would say to be in 441 match day squads at 29 years old is not so indicative of being injured all the time. Last season at two clubs he was in 30 match day squads so a good two thirds of the season he was involved, before considering the early end to the season!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 92
grimsby pete
September 2, 2020, 5:49pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,834
Gold Stars: 222
Welcome Sean I hope your stay is a long and happy one.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 92
coddy60
September 2, 2020, 5:50pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +656
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from GollyGTFC
Serious question...

Is Ohman training with the club?

I watched him play, alongside Pollock, in last Saturday's triallist match...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 92
mimma
September 2, 2020, 6:20pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
I don't get what this "injury prone" remark is all about. For example,  breaking a leg is part of playing football. If a player has been unlucky to break his leg twice in quick sucscession, he would have missed a fair few games. Does that make him injury prone or just unlucky?

Same goes for "his legs have gone". Pirlo is an example of where a player would have been too old or his legs have gone for some on here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 92
RichMariner
September 2, 2020, 6:41pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,161
Gold Stars: 211
Very good signing in my opinion. We have plenty of attacking options now.

Like most fans (and IH) I feel we're two or three players short of a full squad given the rigours they'll be put through in the first couple of months, but we're looking a little healthier in terms of size and quality now.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 89 - 92
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Sean Scannell

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.