Reply: 20 - 34
pontoonlew
August 12, 2020, 9:51am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
It seems we are going down the ‘unknown’ route this season, based purely on the fact you can’t imagine we’ll be signing any more strikers unless Green moves on which I don’t see happening. Therefore these 3, Green and Hanson will be our striking options.

Loanees will be a huge part of the plan I’m sure, the lads Holloway got in last season were absolutely first class so I’m confident on that.

I’d be keen on seeing some real proven quality coming in to back that up, could be a great mix.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 34
Poojah
August 12, 2020, 10:23am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,669
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from pontoonlew
It seems we are going down the ‘unknown’ route this season, based purely on the fact you can’t imagine we’ll be signing any more strikers unless Green moves on which I don’t see happening. Therefore these 3, Green and Hanson will be our striking options.

Loanees will be a huge part of the plan I’m sure, the lads Holloway got in last season were absolutely first class so I’m confident on that.

I’d be keen on seeing some real proven quality coming in to back that up, could be a great mix.

It's interesting, if not entirely surprising, that if the reports are true we'll be signing three young strikers from relatively lowly non-league clubs (I've no idea what standard the Welsh league is like, but I can't imagine it's much higher than National League regional level). That leaves us with a strike force of Hanson, Green, Tilley and the three new lads.

That doesn't leave us with a great deal proven quality up there and it's hard to see us adding much in terms of senior attacking players. A sign of the times, not a complaint; I think this is the way that most League Two clubs will go next season.

Interesting times. I think we're going to see a much lower standard in general in the league next year, with a handful of clubs potentially running away with things in what could be the most uneven professional division in living memory. All artificially brought about due to the virus; it's not as if the players aren't there, they're just no longer affordable. Who knows what the long-term impact of all this could be for lower league football.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 34
Mighty_Mariner
August 12, 2020, 10:45am
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,241
Gold Stars: 10
Just looked through some goal highlights and Gibson reminds me very much of Hearn... Similar build, running style, pace, and skill... A great natural finisher too 👌

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 34
Grantham_Mariner
August 12, 2020, 10:48am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,195
Gold Stars: 51
Where can I get odds that Town score 100+ goals next season.  

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 34
sam gy
August 12, 2020, 11:01am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 56
Looks like cheaper, non league guys are gonna be getting their opportunity through the current situation. Good on ‘em I say...no reason why they can’t go on to prove themselves in the league.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 34
The Yard Dog
August 12, 2020, 1:54pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,514
Gold Stars: 74
I much prefer going down this route, of giving a player from non league an opportunity to prove themselve in league 2, than a overpaid journey man.
Its time to give home grown talent opportunity, you never know, another Vardy maybe discovered.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 34
diehardmariner
August 12, 2020, 2:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,654
Gold Stars: 539
The lad Gibson reminds me more of Ashley Sestanovich than anyone else on those video clips.  A languid style of play, brings the ball down nicely and then leaves defenders for dead from a standing position.  Quite rightly he's remembered more for his poor attitude and off-field activities, but Sestanovich had all the potential in the world.

Going down this approach of looking for rough diamonds is something I think we all probably suspected Holloway would do.  He loves an underdog.  But the current climate has made it even more of a requirement.

Encouraged with all of the signings and rumoured signings so far.  But, as others have alluded to in other posts - anyone can be edited to look good in a YouTube reel.  For every Omar Bogle there's a Louis Soares. With these lads making a huge step-up, they won't be the finished article.  But they do look exciting players!  Holloway had just started the rollercoaster moving before it was shut down, time to buckle up again!
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 34
Heisenberg
August 12, 2020, 4:27pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from diehardmariner
The lad Gibson reminds me more of Ashley Sestanovich than anyone else on those video clips.  A languid style of play, brings the ball down nicely and then leaves defenders for dead from a standing position.  Quite rightly he's remembered more for his poor attitude and off-field activities, but Sestanovich had all the potential in the world.

Going down this approach of looking for rough diamonds is something I think we all probably suspected Holloway would do.  He loves an underdog.  But the current climate has made it even more of a requirement.

Encouraged with all of the signings and rumoured signings so far.  But, as others have alluded to in other posts - anyone can be edited to look good in a YouTube reel.  For every Omar Bogle there's a Louis Soares. With these lads making a huge step-up, they won't be the finished article.  But they do look exciting players!  Holloway had just started the rollercoaster moving before it was shut down, time to buckle up again!

You've gone and done it now........
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 34
moosey_club
August 12, 2020, 6:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,295
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Poojah

It's interesting, if not entirely surprising, that if the reports are true we'll be signing three young strikers from relatively lowly non-league clubs (I've no idea what standard the Welsh league is like, but I can't imagine it's much higher than National League regional level). That leaves us with a strike force of Hanson, Green, Tilley and the three new lads.

That doesn't leave us with a great deal proven quality up there and it's hard to see us adding much in terms of senior attacking players. A sign of the times, not a complaint; I think this is the way that most League Two clubs will go next season.

Interesting times. I think we're going to see a much lower standard in general in the league next year, with a handful of clubs potentially running away with things in what could be the most uneven professional division in living memory. All artificially brought about due to the virus; it's not as if the players aren't there, they're just no longer affordable. Who knows what the long-term impact of all this could be for lower league football.

Its been a while since we have seen the team......... but was Tilley a striker ?

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 34
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Ollies update

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.