Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: BPMariner, August 11, 2020, 9:29pm
Intersting interview, interesting what he says about  Mohsni and Jackson, and i wonder who the players from the Spanish league is? He was set to sign for Dull city last season

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2020/august/-ifollow-freeview---ollie-runs-the-rule-over-trialists/
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 11, 2020, 9:31pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from BPMariner
Intersting interview, interesting what he says about  Mohsni and Jackson, and i wonder who the players from the Spanish league is? He was set to sign for Dull city last season

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2020/august/-ifollow-freeview---ollie-runs-the-rule-over-trialists/

Forget Bogle "coming home", maybe Charlie I'anson is coming back?
Posted by: ClarkyGTFC, August 11, 2020, 9:35pm; Reply: 2
Louis Robles return????
Posted by: Hagrid, August 11, 2020, 9:37pm; Reply: 3
Michu. The one season wonder from years ago😂
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 11, 2020, 9:45pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Hagrid
Michu. The one season wonder from years ago😂

We are commutable from Woodhall Spa Golf Club so maybe Ollie has persuaded Zinedine to loan us Gareth Bale for a year?
Posted by: LH, August 11, 2020, 10:45pm; Reply: 5
Someone on Facebook has done some really good digging and come up with Alhagi Touray Sisay of Aberystwyth. Similar goal record to Jackson but in the Spanish lower leagues and trials at Hull, Stoke and Hearts in recent years.
Posted by: A.l.f., August 11, 2020, 10:47pm; Reply: 6
Yes Touray Sisay fits the bill.  Strong, tall and done well at Aber.........worth or what it’s called 🤣
Posted by: Stew0_0, August 11, 2020, 11:14pm; Reply: 7
From the video ollie saying we offered deals to 4 subject to medical. 2 signed already and guessing 2 tomorrow. One being another striker so happy days after weeks if patience
Posted by: BenBB, August 11, 2020, 11:20pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from BPMariner

Glad we've got Ollie. Clearly got the connections and the knowledge to bring us through this. Hoping the 'new normal' is a positive term for us. UTM!
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, August 12, 2020, 3:13am; Reply: 9
He’s a bit special is Ollie. How the intercourse did we get him???

(I know a bit of how and it’s a flipping brilliant story, one day it will be part of the GTFC legend)
Posted by: Belfast Town, August 12, 2020, 6:42am; Reply: 10
Touray Sisay seems to fit Ollie’s description:

https://www.dai-sport.com/barcelona-borth-touray-sisay-brought-spanish-sparkle-aberystwyth/
Posted by: prestonmariner, August 12, 2020, 7:55am; Reply: 11
https://twitter.com/sgorio/status/1229469071655276544?s=20

Highlights here of a game where he scored a Hat-trick last season for Aberystwyth.

Looks a handy little player. Fast, energetic, both footed, skillful, eye for goal.

Now i've said it, he'll be dogger
Posted by: Youngy, August 12, 2020, 8:01am; Reply: 12
Another signing maybe Montel Gibson. Scored 34 at Halesowen last season. Apparently has been training with us, free agent as he wants to play full time football.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, August 12, 2020, 9:03am; Reply: 13
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
He’s a bit special is Ollie. How the intercourse did we get him???

(I know a bit of how and it’s a flipping brilliant story, one day it will be part of the GTFC legend)

He needed a project and respected our history and place in the English game.

Sadly, too many of our own fans think what a lot of outsiders do - that we are a hell hole out on a limb and wont be able to sign anyone good, ever.

Grimsby and surrounding district has a lot to offer including a famous but underperforming football club.
Posted by: Hagrid, August 12, 2020, 9:18am; Reply: 14
Matt dean confirms Montell Gibson and Sessay are the 2.  That puts us at 5 options up top i believe. Excellent :)
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, August 12, 2020, 9:18am; Reply: 15
Matt Dean on Twitter says we're close to confirming Gibson and Touray Sisay. Whether The Fishy is his source though who knows?
Posted by: Heisenberg, August 12, 2020, 9:23am; Reply: 16
Quoted from Youngy
Another signing maybe Montel Gibson. Scored 34 at Halesowen last season. Apparently has been training with us, free agent as he wants to play full time football.

"This is how we do it, it's Friday night, and I feel alright, it's a party here on the west side".........?
Posted by: Meza, August 12, 2020, 9:27am; Reply: 17
[tweet]1293458527206420480[/tweet]
Posted by: Meza, August 12, 2020, 9:33am; Reply: 18
Article On Touray Sisay

It has been five years since Aberystwyth Town last reached the Cymru League’s end of season play-offs and while a top-six finish has again eluded them this season, the club are still harbouring hopes of a getting into the league’s end of season finale.

Despite being eight points off the top of the Play-Off Conference (seventh), the Green and Blacks are still very much in the play-off conversation – and that’s due in no small part to their new striker Touray Sisay.

The 20-year-old Spaniard fired in a hat-trick in Aberystwyth’s 5-3 win against Airbus UK Broughton last weekend to take his tally to four goals in three appearances for his new club.

His promising start at Park Avenue is the latest chapter of the well-travelled striker’s career.

Touray initially made his name in the Spanish lower leagues before trial a spell with Hearts at their Spanish winter training camp led to him coming over to the UK for trials at Stoke City and Hull City’s development sides.

A brief spell at Ramsgate followed before Aberystwyth moved for him during the January transfer window.

“I’ve settled in really well at Aber, the whole club have been welcoming and friendly,” he says.

“I was living in Liverpool in January travelling with the lads, so we spoke a lot about the league and  they shared a lot of experiences with me which was helpful for me to adapt to the league.”

“I’m now living in Borth and enjoying the beach and location is a big difference to Liverpool and Barcelona but I’m really enjoying it.”

Touray’s journey began with Catalan lower league club club Sant Vicenti where his tenacious approach and eye for goal quickly gained him a reputation as a promising young striker.

“I’ve trained with a few clubs whilst I was signed to Sant Vicenti. I trained with Hearts in Murcia during their winter break, Craig Levein asked me to come in.

“Then, Stoke’s assistant manager Joaquin Gomez had heard about me in Spain as well as Hull City – it was good to play games, the experience helped me a lot adapt to football in the UK.”

“In Spain it’s very technical so to be able to introduce the physical side of the game was important and definitely helped me to improve and be able to develop my game.

“My debut for Stoke I was marking Gustavo Luiz for Marseille at St George’s Park so was a big game. I scored against Crystal Palace, winning 3-1 when I was at Hull City, and we beat Ipswich 2-1 despite them beating Hull 5-1 the previous season.

“The full-time fitness definitely helped as in Spain we only trained twice per week.”

After being picked up by Aberystwyth, Touray hopes his goals will once again do the talking in his latest new surroundings.

“Aberystwyth heard of me whilst I was training with Hull’s U23’s and then offered me a contract until end of the season,” he said.

“In Spain I scored 36 goals in 32 games, I would love to do the same for Aberystwyth and try and capture that seventh spot!

“The Cymru Premier is a very good standard, the teams are very competitive and fighting to win every game. It is a test for me as we need to win games and every point is important, it’s a lot quicker than in Spain and under-23 level so I’ve learned a lot already.

“In Spain we learn from a young age to play with both feet so was good to score with both feet in the last game and get my hat-trick and I hope to continue.

“Penybont really pushed us in the last game so will be another big game for us at the weekend. The new signings are starting to know each other better now too.”

If Touray Sisay is able to maintain his scoring form, don’t rule Aberystwyth out of appearing in the play-offs just yet.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), August 12, 2020, 9:49am; Reply: 19
Looks to be a fairly tall fella too.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), August 12, 2020, 9:50am; Reply: 20
Looks to be a fairly tall fella too.
Posted by: pontoonlew, August 12, 2020, 9:51am; Reply: 21
It seems we are going down the ‘unknown’ route this season, based purely on the fact you can’t imagine we’ll be signing any more strikers unless Green moves on which I don’t see happening. Therefore these 3, Green and Hanson will be our striking options.

Loanees will be a huge part of the plan I’m sure, the lads Holloway got in last season were absolutely first class so I’m confident on that.

I’d be keen on seeing some real proven quality coming in to back that up, could be a great mix.
Posted by: Poojah, August 12, 2020, 10:23am; Reply: 22
Quoted from pontoonlew
It seems we are going down the ‘unknown’ route this season, based purely on the fact you can’t imagine we’ll be signing any more strikers unless Green moves on which I don’t see happening. Therefore these 3, Green and Hanson will be our striking options.

Loanees will be a huge part of the plan I’m sure, the lads Holloway got in last season were absolutely first class so I’m confident on that.

I’d be keen on seeing some real proven quality coming in to back that up, could be a great mix.

It's interesting, if not entirely surprising, that if the reports are true we'll be signing three young strikers from relatively lowly non-league clubs (I've no idea what standard the Welsh league is like, but I can't imagine it's much higher than National League regional level). That leaves us with a strike force of Hanson, Green, Tilley and the three new lads.

That doesn't leave us with a great deal proven quality up there and it's hard to see us adding much in terms of senior attacking players. A sign of the times, not a complaint; I think this is the way that most League Two clubs will go next season.

Interesting times. I think we're going to see a much lower standard in general in the league next year, with a handful of clubs potentially running away with things in what could be the most uneven professional division in living memory. All artificially brought about due to the virus; it's not as if the players aren't there, they're just no longer affordable. Who knows what the long-term impact of all this could be for lower league football.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, August 12, 2020, 10:45am; Reply: 23
Just looked through some goal highlights and Gibson reminds me very much of Hearn... Similar build, running style, pace, and skill... A great natural finisher too 👌
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, August 12, 2020, 10:48am; Reply: 24
Where can I get odds that Town score 100+ goals next season.  ;D ;D ;D
Posted by: sam gy, August 12, 2020, 11:01am; Reply: 25
Looks like cheaper, non league guys are gonna be getting their opportunity through the current situation. Good on ‘em I say...no reason why they can’t go on to prove themselves in the league.
Posted by: The Yard Dog, August 12, 2020, 1:54pm; Reply: 26
I much prefer going down this route, of giving a player from non league an opportunity to prove themselve in league 2, than a overpaid journey man.
Its time to give home grown talent opportunity, you never know, another Vardy maybe discovered.

Posted by: diehardmariner, August 12, 2020, 2:18pm; Reply: 27
The lad Gibson reminds me more of Ashley Sestanovich than anyone else on those video clips.  A languid style of play, brings the ball down nicely and then leaves defenders for dead from a standing position.  Quite rightly he's remembered more for his poor attitude and off-field activities, but Sestanovich had all the potential in the world.

Going down this approach of looking for rough diamonds is something I think we all probably suspected Holloway would do.  He loves an underdog.  But the current climate has made it even more of a requirement.

Encouraged with all of the signings and rumoured signings so far.  But, as others have alluded to in other posts - anyone can be edited to look good in a YouTube reel.  For every Omar Bogle there's a Louis Soares. With these lads making a huge step-up, they won't be the finished article.  But they do look exciting players!  Holloway had just started the rollercoaster moving before it was shut down, time to buckle up again!
Posted by: Heisenberg, August 12, 2020, 4:27pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from diehardmariner
The lad Gibson reminds me more of Ashley Sestanovich than anyone else on those video clips.  A languid style of play, brings the ball down nicely and then leaves defenders for dead from a standing position.  Quite rightly he's remembered more for his poor attitude and off-field activities, but Sestanovich had all the potential in the world.

Going down this approach of looking for rough diamonds is something I think we all probably suspected Holloway would do.  He loves an underdog.  But the current climate has made it even more of a requirement.

Encouraged with all of the signings and rumoured signings so far.  But, as others have alluded to in other posts - anyone can be edited to look good in a YouTube reel.  For every Omar Bogle there's a Louis Soares. With these lads making a huge step-up, they won't be the finished article.  But they do look exciting players!  Holloway had just started the rollercoaster moving before it was shut down, time to buckle up again!

You've gone and done it now........
Posted by: moosey_club, August 12, 2020, 6:18pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Poojah

It's interesting, if not entirely surprising, that if the reports are true we'll be signing three young strikers from relatively lowly non-league clubs (I've no idea what standard the Welsh league is like, but I can't imagine it's much higher than National League regional level). That leaves us with a strike force of Hanson, Green, Tilley and the three new lads.

That doesn't leave us with a great deal proven quality up there and it's hard to see us adding much in terms of senior attacking players. A sign of the times, not a complaint; I think this is the way that most League Two clubs will go next season.

Interesting times. I think we're going to see a much lower standard in general in the league next year, with a handful of clubs potentially running away with things in what could be the most uneven professional division in living memory. All artificially brought about due to the virus; it's not as if the players aren't there, they're just no longer affordable. Who knows what the long-term impact of all this could be for lower league football.

Its been a while since we have seen the team......... but was Tilley a striker ?

Posted by: Heswall Mariner, August 12, 2020, 6:29pm; Reply: 30
Nah - midfield - don't know who allocated him a striker?
Posted by: Tommy, August 12, 2020, 7:40pm; Reply: 31
Tilley can play as one of the wider forwards in a 4-3-3, or as a no.10 in the middle of the 3 supporting forwards in a 4-2-3-1.

Or at least that's where he's featured for us so far. Apart from a short spell as one of the 3 midfielders in one game where we were chasing goals to get back in the game and obviously filled in at wingback for the last few minutes at Scunny.
Posted by: IlkleyMariner, August 12, 2020, 8:15pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner
Where can I get odds that Town score 100+ goals next season.  ;D ;D ;D

I’ll take it? What odds do u want?
Cash up front
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, August 13, 2020, 6:37am; Reply: 33
I'm looking and listening, Ollie has said to look at the Brentford model , scour the lower the league's (national and international) for the best players, the stand out players, sign them up for 2 years with an option, get them firing in the league and sell for a healthy profit...with his contacts it's now obvious Ollie is attempting to follow Brentford's lead.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 13, 2020, 9:38am; Reply: 34
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
I'm looking and listening, Ollie has said to look at the Brentford model , scour the lower the league's (national and international) for the best players, the stand out players, sign them up for 2 years with an option, get them firing in the league and sell for a healthy profit...with his contacts it's now obvious Ollie is attempting to follow Brentford's lead.

It's a shame we missed out on Tunde Owolabi. An FC United fan I know was raving about him last season and saying he will go far. It's good to see we had other irons in the fire though. Since promotion I've moaned about us not signing anyone from non-league
Print page generated: May 5, 2024, 12:47am