2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
crusty ole pie
July 11, 2020, 9:05am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,294
Gold Stars: 62
Jack charlton World Cup winner as passed away areal legend remember him playing at blundell Park for Harry wainsman testimonial
Logged Offline
Private Message
grimsby pete
July 11, 2020, 9:49am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,763
Gold Stars: 221
World cup winner legend.

He said he had a.little black book with players named  he wanted to kick before he retired  

RIP Jack.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 17
paramariner
July 11, 2020, 10:06am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +168
Gold Stars: 7
Yes R. I. P Jack.   I also saw him in that testimonial, was really surprised how skilled he was in his passing ability and not just the "clogger" some thought him to be.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 17
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 11, 2020, 10:20am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
I saw him play in the Revie side in Div 2 at BP in the 60s and I think he won just about every aerial battle. If he won a tackle he just gave the ball to Bobby Collins.

I seem to think he did come to BP when he was Newcastle manager to see their juniors play.

Great man manager and no mug as a tactician. He might well have been as good for England as he was for Eire given the chance but the FA never considered him.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 17
londonmariner2
July 11, 2020, 11:14am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: -24
Gold Stars: 1
I remember when he was manager of Sheffield Wednesday. The Town fans were singing "Jackie Charlton S**ts his underpants" and he gave us all a wave.  Top man. RIP
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 17
Azimuth
July 11, 2020, 12:44pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +689
Gold Stars: 58
Giant of a man in every respect.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 17
dapperz fun pub
July 11, 2020, 12:53pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,685
Gold Stars: 81
A true legend of the game rip
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 17
TownSNAFU5
July 11, 2020, 1:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,760
Gold Stars: 41
Yes, he has an outstanding life and football successes.

I liked the anecdote today that a fan went to get his autobiography book-signing.  Jack was more interested in eating his pasty.  He had star quality and the common touch.

He had an endless supply of funny football stories, which he was happy to share with anyone.  Sharing the fact that he had a little black book with names in it got him bother with the FA.

Like Brian Clough, he was considered too outspoken and a risk to manage England.  Our loss.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 17
Manchester Mariner
July 11, 2020, 1:18pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,791
Gold Stars: 39
As a player he was before my time so a lot of my generation just  saw him as a bit of an unlikely character who managed Ireland,brought in a load of English players with Irish distant relatives and got them to world cups and European championships. You can't deny his achievements, domestic medals, world cup and his 'black book.' He did things his own way and was consistently successful in doing so, I especially enjoyed this reading about him this morning:

Jack was an attendee of the Durham Miners Gala. His official biographer, Colin Young, said “He is anti-establishment, Jack. He is very left wing, during the strike he was very supportive of the miners and Arthur Scargill and people like that”.

A great pundit too, so many players who "I Would've chinnned in my day."

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 17
Heisenberg
July 11, 2020, 4:50pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,760
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Yes, he has an outstanding life and football successes.

I liked the anecdote today that a fan went to get his autobiography book-signing.  Jack was more interested in eating his pasty.  He had star quality and the common touch.

He had an endless supply of funny football stories, which he was happy to share with anyone.  Sharing the fact that he had a little black book with names in it got him bother with the FA.

Like Brian Clough, he was considered too outspoken and a risk to manage England.  Our loss.

I disagree about the England thing. I loved jack,  although admittedly I was one of those who resented him a little for managing ireland. But no matter what he achieved with Ireland,  the way he did it would not have cut the mustard with England fans. His mantra was “do not lose”, which they very rarely did, but it was anti-football in many ways, sometimes even worse than what we saw under graham Taylor.

Anyway, a great man who is loved equally both sides of the Irish Sea - that’s some feat.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 17
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › RIP jack

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.