2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
crusty ole pie
July 11, 2020, 9:05am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,311
Gold Stars: 62
Jack charlton World Cup winner as passed away areal legend remember him playing at blundell Park for Harry wainsman testimonial
Logged Offline
Private Message
grimsby pete
July 11, 2020, 9:49am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
World cup winner legend.

He said he had a.little black book with players named  he wanted to kick before he retired  

RIP Jack.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 17
paramariner
July 11, 2020, 10:06am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +168
Gold Stars: 7
Yes R. I. P Jack.   I also saw him in that testimonial, was really surprised how skilled he was in his passing ability and not just the "clogger" some thought him to be.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 17
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 11, 2020, 10:20am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
I saw him play in the Revie side in Div 2 at BP in the 60s and I think he won just about every aerial battle. If he won a tackle he just gave the ball to Bobby Collins.

I seem to think he did come to BP when he was Newcastle manager to see their juniors play.

Great man manager and no mug as a tactician. He might well have been as good for England as he was for Eire given the chance but the FA never considered him.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 17
londonmariner2
July 11, 2020, 11:14am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: -24
Gold Stars: 1
I remember when he was manager of Sheffield Wednesday. The Town fans were singing "Jackie Charlton S**ts his underpants" and he gave us all a wave.  Top man. RIP
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 17
Azimuth
July 11, 2020, 12:44pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 58
Giant of a man in every respect.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 17
dapperz fun pub
July 11, 2020, 12:53pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,719
Gold Stars: 81
A true legend of the game rip
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 17
TownSNAFU5
July 11, 2020, 1:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
Yes, he has an outstanding life and football successes.

I liked the anecdote today that a fan went to get his autobiography book-signing.  Jack was more interested in eating his pasty.  He had star quality and the common touch.

He had an endless supply of funny football stories, which he was happy to share with anyone.  Sharing the fact that he had a little black book with names in it got him bother with the FA.

Like Brian Clough, he was considered too outspoken and a risk to manage England.  Our loss.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 17
Manchester Mariner
July 11, 2020, 1:18pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,804
As a player he was before my time so a lot of my generation just  saw him as a bit of an unlikely character who managed Ireland,brought in a load of English players with Irish distant relatives and got them to world cups and European championships. You can't deny his achievements, domestic medals, world cup and his 'black book.' He did things his own way and was consistently successful in doing so, I especially enjoyed this reading about him this morning:

Jack was an attendee of the Durham Miners Gala. His official biographer, Colin Young, said “He is anti-establishment, Jack. He is very left wing, during the strike he was very supportive of the miners and Arthur Scargill and people like that”.

A great pundit too, so many players who "I Would've chinnned in my day."

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 17
Heisenberg
July 11, 2020, 4:50pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,816
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Yes, he has an outstanding life and football successes.

I liked the anecdote today that a fan went to get his autobiography book-signing.  Jack was more interested in eating his pasty.  He had star quality and the common touch.

He had an endless supply of funny football stories, which he was happy to share with anyone.  Sharing the fact that he had a little black book with names in it got him bother with the FA.

Like Brian Clough, he was considered too outspoken and a risk to manage England.  Our loss.

I disagree about the England thing. I loved jack,  although admittedly I was one of those who resented him a little for managing ireland. But no matter what he achieved with Ireland,  the way he did it would not have cut the mustard with England fans. His mantra was “do not lose”, which they very rarely did, but it was anti-football in many ways, sometimes even worse than what we saw under graham Taylor.

Anyway, a great man who is loved equally both sides of the Irish Sea - that’s some feat.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 17
BottesfordMariner
July 11, 2020, 8:04pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +1,312
Gold Stars: 9
I was very saddened to hear the news today.

Of course he will be remembered as a 1966 World Cup winner.

I remember him as a boss (a a good one ) at Boro and Wednesday.

But most of all his time as Ireland manager, He literally changed Irish football forever. Turned them from mediocrity to lead them to finals of Euros and World Cups. He brought pride back to the national team.

It was a great time to be an Ireland fan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 17
HertsGTFC
July 11, 2020, 11:30pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,648
Gold Stars: 217
He had class written through him like a stick of rock as a person, player and manager.

My memories...

- Town never really got the better of his Wednesday sides.

- Him going absolutely f*****g ballistic on the telly after the Wednesday supporters had been locked in after an away game.

- An ROI press conference where he said “same team same subs” then he got up and went for a pint apparently.

For me he was one of the “man in the street footballers” every current pro or player could learn from what Jack stood for.

RIP World Cup Winner and a true GIANT of the a game that day by day lacks real characters!!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 17
Mallyner
July 12, 2020, 8:56am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +2,509
Gold Stars: 22
Perhaps the only time I went into the Kingsway Hotel and Big Jack and Laurie Mac came in, as they were staying there and they were both so normal and friendly and we had a nice chat with them.

RIP Jack.

Supporting Town for 65 years.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 17
diehardmariner
July 13, 2020, 9:52am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,093
Gold Stars: 520
Quoted from Heisenberg

I disagree about the England thing. I loved jack,  although admittedly I was one of those who resented him a little for managing ireland. But no matter what he achieved with Ireland,  the way he did it would not have cut the mustard with England fans. His mantra was “do not lose”, which they very rarely did, but it was anti-football in many ways, sometimes even worse than what we saw under graham Taylor.

Anyway, a great man who is loved equally both sides of the Irish Sea - that’s some feat.

Agree with that.  I quite enjoyed watching his Ireland side, very much in the sense of how Wimbledon were enjoyable to watch.  Very much a up and at 'em style.  Watching them just bully sides at USA '94 was a definite highlight, especially in the absence of an England side there.  I dare say they became the supported side of most English fans during that tournament because we had no team of our own to support and the fact most their side were born in England and qualified through very distant relations!

But there's absolutely no way the media would have accepted that style of football.  Bobby Robson got hit with pelters all the time, despite this historical belief that it was all rosy in the garden under him and he was loved by all.  Graham Taylor was treat in a disgusting manner and then Terry Venables was hounded for long periods too.  The media in this country see it as their mission to hound out the manager of the national team, Jack's style of football would have made him easy pickings.  It would, however, have been interesting to see how he reacted to them.  

Lovely to see that Jack's legacy as a human being is equally mentioned alongside his football achievements when people are remembering him.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 17
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 13, 2020, 10:05am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Heisenberg

Sorry, not so. Charlton was a thinker and he never used a plan slavishly. He played and studied under Revie and Ramsey who were both clever tacticians. Like Ramsey he had an idea of the sort of formation he wanted to use but the manner of playing varied. He studied the opposition, Tony Cascarino has said how he worked out the way to beat Italy with a pressing game in certain parts of the pitch. Remember that the Italians play ugly as well when they need to.

Jack liked flair players. He loved Gazza for instance who is on record about his debt to Charlton.

Yes Jack was pragmatic too. With the players available to him for RoI he had to be. He was managing in a World Cup not a league. Every game needed a result regardless of style. They played to their strengths ...... because they had to. What else could he/they do? Get beat 7-0 trying to emulate Brazil?

If he had not said his bit about the little black book the suits at the FA might have considered him as manager. I am absolutely certain an England side under Jack would not have been anything like a Graham Taylor one. The selections, the formations, the tactics would all have been completely different because Jack worked out the best way to use what he had.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 17
Posh Harry
July 13, 2020, 10:16am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,327
Gold Stars: 34
I know a story about Jack (not sure if true but made me smile), that when manager of Ireland when he had to buy a drink in a pub over there (which wasn’t that often considering how revered he was), he would pay for it using a cheque, knowing full well that the bar owner would frame it and hang it behind the bar and would never cash it as it proved big jack had been in his pub.

RIP Jack. You were a character, something that football is sorely missing in the modern game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 17
TownSNAFU5
July 13, 2020, 11:22am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
My Leeds mate has a good anecdote about Big Jack (true or otherwise).  He used to go into pubs in Leeds and buy everyone a drink.  He was canny and used to pay with a cheque, knowing that it was unlikely to be cashed.  The pub would often frame it and put it on display!

If Jack had managed England he had better players to use.  At the ROI he was acutely aware that he had no pace in the team.  He adopted his tactics accordingly, often playing the long-ball.  Crude but
often effective.

He was quoted as saying that all his forwards lacked the pace of a Gary Lineker.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 17
jock dock tower
July 13, 2020, 3:03pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Favourite Jack Charlton anecdote concerns him taking the Irish players to the Vatican to meet Pope John Paul before Italia 90. Pope John Paul had a good conversation about goalkeeping with Packy Bonner, as JP used to play between the sticks himself in his younger days.

Fast forward the team coach after the Italy vs Ireland game at Italia 90 where a Packy Bonner mistake gifted the Italians a one goal win. Jackie was commiserating, and having a craic with the players, and left Packy while the end and told him - laughingly - that "even the f*cking Pope would have stopped that one going in...."

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 17
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › RIP jack

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.