Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Any classic matches????
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 113 Guests

Any classic matches????

This thread currently has 5,923 views. Print
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
TownSNAFU5
July 24, 2020, 5:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,899
Gold Stars: 42
Re the Town v Man City game.  I like it that we were unbeaten in the Championship ( as it is now) for 3 months and unbeaten at home.

City looked slicker but only got a point.  Town improved after the break and took the game to them.  City looked dangerous on the break.z

We had top strikers such as Paul Wilkinson and Kevin Drinkell.  Both went on to distinguish themselves at bigger clubs.

The pitch was terrible.  For years after that we had a very good pitch.  Strange to see metal fences, no passback rule and no clock timings during the game.  Not sure where they put 3,000 City fans?

I wonder where City are now?
A
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 33
GollyGTFC
July 24, 2020, 5:43pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,049
Gold Stars: 358
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Not sure where they put 3,000 City fans?

In the Osmond? You could fit 3,000 in there when it was mainly terracing and also had the open corner around to the Findus.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 31 - 33
Poojah
July 26, 2020, 10:03am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,669
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from arryarryarry

A good shout for goal of the season.

Such a pity that a great player like Paul Groves should go on to sadly fail as a manager.

Groves did well to keep us in the second tier in his first half-season in charge; given what had gone on with ITV it was always going to be difficult from there. Admittedly it didn’t end well, culminating in that freezing cold 6-0 defeat at Oldham in which we allowed Scott Vernon to score his first and only career hat trick, with a young Danny Boshell pulling the strings.

It’s hard, looking back, to imagine things going downhill from there.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 33
moosey_club
July 26, 2020, 12:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,296
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Yossarian
This popped up on my youtube thread....I was in the Pontoon with a good friend of mine who is a Villa fan - he's got a very broad brummie accent.  When Town equalised I think he got punched about 20 times.....  aaaah, just look at the terraces rammed full!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juxQmrKfZ24

Just watching that again for the first time since the match itself i think....reaffirmed my memories from the time, we were the better side for large parts but a world class centre half and strikeforce for them made the difference. That first goal, Atkinson made up a good 10yds on Handyside before robbing him to square and Handyside again slipping to allow Yorke a bit more time and room to finish the game off.

Teale's shirt after the fracas looked like he had been dragged through a combine harvester.

Similar to when we played Tottenham around the same era, Thorsvedt in goal and Durie/Lineker up front for them were the difference as we more than matched them in general play.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Any classic matches????

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.