The Yard Dog
March 16, 2020, 2:23pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,516
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from rancido

Great ! So me and my mates weren't the only mad ones around playing Subuteo. I remember the flat plastic players from a set that my brother had and I also recall one or two flat cardboard ones that my eldest brother , who is 84 now , used to have.
Mine were the solid plastic figures. On the subject of naming players , I took one, cut his head off, painted the remaining stump with red paint and called him Ed Missing! He had a lethal left foot but was no good in the air! My mates thought I had gone too far at that point and accused me of not taking the game seriously enough.

I had the floodlight version of subbuteo, no longer have the floodlights has Mr Fenty is currently using them at BP.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 37
FishOutOfWater
March 16, 2020, 4:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,578
Gold Stars: 37
I wonder if anyone on here remembers the game "Newfooty"

It was the pre-cursor of Subbuteo... came out between the two World Wars. Not much online about it except for this brief Wiki page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newfooty

My grandad used to run a league in the Grimsby area where he lived ( maybe even further afield ) - he had a newsagents and loads of the lads who took papers used to play the game

When I was a kid my grandad still had all the old paraphernalia.... teams galore as they were cardboard kits inserted into a groove on a lead base. H&S would never allow it nowadays!  

My dad told me that the guy who invented it let the patent lapse after WWII  and whoever it was who came up with Subbuteo after WWII cottoned on to that and the rest is history

http://www.peter-upton.co.uk/newfooty.htm
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 31 - 37
Madeleymariner
March 16, 2020, 4:33pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 50
Loved Subbuteo like others with a few mates had a league, it really worked well as my friends supported Hull Scunny and Leeds nearly every game was a derby or grudge match. I bought the Leeds team then painted them in Town colours (red socks and numbers inc) using airfix paint. Still got the stuff in a cupboard somewhere, played with Son Of and Younger Son Of when they were kids in the late 90s as well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 37
supertown
March 16, 2020, 4:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,470
Gold Stars: 53
I had the floodlight version too , always needed a few tubes of bostik to hand
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 37
lee65
March 16, 2020, 8:17pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,486
Gold Stars: 10
In the mid 70’s (roughly) I had “Striker”, in which the plastic players kicked the ball by you pushing their heads down.  Really powerful shooting, but if you got too enthusiastic it was easy to break the players   Very hard to keep the felt pitch flat, even after ironing!, but the diving goalies were great

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/YmsAAOSwHZBeYSIi/s-l1600.jpg
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 37
KingstonMariner
March 16, 2020, 10:03pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from lee65
In the mid 70’s (roughly) I had “Striker”, in which the plastic players kicked the ball by you pushing their heads down.  Really powerful shooting, but if you got too enthusiastic it was easy to break the players   Very hard to keep the felt pitch flat, even after ironing!, but the diving goalies were great

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/YmsAAOSwHZBeYSIi/s-l1600.jpg

Me too. It was probably the best football game after Subbuteo IMO. Five a side wasn’t it. You could bounce the ball off the side barrier.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 37
lee65
March 16, 2020, 10:14pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +2,486
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Me too. It was probably the best football game after Subbuteo IMO. Five a side wasn’t it. You could bounce the ball off the side barrier.

You could if you could get the over enthusiastic players to keep it below the flexi barrier height  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 37
KingstonMariner
March 17, 2020, 1:37pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.04
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from lee65

You could if you could get the over enthusiastic players to keep it below the flexi barrier height  

The secret was to not get the player too close to the ball so his foot didn’t get under it. Much like in real football 😁

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 37
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Subbuteo

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.