Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 15, 2020, 12:49am
Anyone got a Subbuteo set and webcam fancy blogging a weekly game so we can all get our fix?

I can only watch the southern away games mind. 😉
Posted by: rancido, March 15, 2020, 8:25am; Reply: 1
I used to really like subuteo. When I was in my teens, myself and a few friends formed a league. We named the teams after connections with our names or workplaces. One guy worked at Titans so his team was Titanham Hotspurs! We also picked crazy names for the played such as Beau "Dread" Lox, B A Stard and Hermonogies H Thrukrutes (a character in a Spike Milligan book). It was all totally insane but good fun.
Posted by: cannylad68, March 15, 2020, 8:33am; Reply: 2
I still have Grimsby Town.
Posted by: Manchester Mariner, March 15, 2020, 8:35am; Reply: 3
This came up on the British Culture Archive yesterday, highly recommend a follow on social media for some great photo's from the past. Quite the extensive set up what with the grandstand and all. Never really got Subbuteo myself, just seemed a bit of a faff although I'm sure I saw it being played on Eurosport a couple of years ago, but they did show absolutely anything they could get the rights for.

[IMG]https://scontent-lhr8-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/89826925_208519610499139_8500320739319087104_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=CI7GDoOphjkAX_3ktpH&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.xx&oh=0ff4685af024341966b4341c5880b980&oe=5E9289EA[/IMG]
Posted by: Rick12, March 15, 2020, 8:44am; Reply: 4
Quoted from rancido
I used to really like subuteo. When I was in my teens, myself and a few friends formed a league. We named the teams after connections with our names or workplaces. One guy worked at Titans so his team was Titanham Hotspurs! We also picked crazy names for the played such as Beau "Dread" Lox, B A Stard and Hermonogies H Thrukrutes (a character in a Spike Milligan book). It was all totally insane but good fun.
Yes I use to love the game as well.Sadly football video games killed it off as Iam sure your aware.

Posted by: Rick12, March 15, 2020, 8:45am; Reply: 5
Quoted from Manchester Mariner
This came up on the British Culture Archive yesterday, highly recommend a follow on social media for some great photo's from the past. Quite the extensive set up what with the grandstand and all. Never really got Subbuteo myself, just seemed a bit of a faff although I'm sure I saw it being playedon Eurosport a couple of years ago but they did show absolutely anything they could get the rights for.
Thats some picture.Thanks for sharing.

Posted by: PrestwichMariner, March 15, 2020, 8:46am; Reply: 6
https://youtu.be/eBmFuySb_Qw
Posted by: rancido, March 15, 2020, 8:52am; Reply: 7
Here's a piece of useless information! The guy who invented Subuteo, originally wanted to call it The Hobby but that name was already registered. So, being a bit of a a bird watcher, he noticed that the Latin name for the small falcon called the Hobby was Falco Subuteo. So he adopted that name.
Posted by: Rick12, March 15, 2020, 9:00am; Reply: 8
Quoted from rancido
Here's a piece of useless information! The guy who invented Subuteo, originally wanted to call it The Hobby but that name was already registered. So, being a bit of a a bird watcher, he noticed that the Latin name for the small falcon called the Hobby was Falco Subuteo. So he adopted that name.
Thanks for that information  ;)

I remember another great game that I use to play.Super Cup football

[img]https://webimg.secondhandapp.com/w-i-mgl/580cc0a62e4893b13935150e[/img]

Posted by: devs, March 15, 2020, 10:27am; Reply: 9
Logacta all day long!
Got it through Shoot magazine
Complete football season - leagues, cups, Europe...the lot

The dice were loaded so Home Teams had more of a chance of winning
There was a form dice as the season progressed - so that team had two dice to roll

Hours of fun - tables, stats the lot (insert Ron Manager..."wasn't it...hmmm")

My younger brother had a real soft spot for Darlington - so when they made it into Europe (he was only about 40 it was like it had happened!)

Anyone else remember Logacta?
Posted by: arryarryarry, March 15, 2020, 10:41am; Reply: 10
This came up on the British Culture Archive yesterday, highly recommend a follow on social media for some great photo's from the past. Quite the extensive set up what with the grandstand and all. Never really got Subbuteo myself, just seemed a bit of a faff although I'm sure I saw it being played on Eurosport a couple of years ago, but they did show absolutely anything they could get the rights for.

[IMG]https://scontent-lhr8-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/89826925_208519610499139_8500320739319087104_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=CI7GDoOphjkAX_3ktpH&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.xx&oh=0ff4685af024341966b4341c5880b980&oe=5E9289EA[/IMG]

I and a few friends formed a mini league, I won it. ;D

I made my own stands out of cardboard to look like Blundell Park.  :P
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 15, 2020, 10:52am; Reply: 11

Hardly anyone at that game. Poor show. Is it the Emptyhad?
Posted by: arryarryarry, March 15, 2020, 10:58am; Reply: 12
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Hardly anyone at that game. Poor show. Is it the Emptyhad?

A behind closed doors game due to some sort of virus?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 15, 2020, 11:00am; Reply: 13
Quoted from rancido

Excellent stuff!

My elder brother had it. As you could move the pitch around he named his team Portable Rovers who naturally played at Portable Road. The original teams he had were the old models in which the plastic players had a tab under their feet which slotted into the base. One of the players wasn’t glued down properly so he kept falling off his base. This player became his club captain and was honoured with the name of Sir Stanley Dropbottom.

Not being as good being the younger brother, my team was like a pub team in comparison so I adopted the name of Cross Keys (after the old pub on Cleethorpes High Street - sadly closed before I was old enough).
Posted by: Mayaman, March 15, 2020, 11:05am; Reply: 14
The subbuteo photo is of Scunny as the ground is half empty.  
Posted by: Mayaman, March 15, 2020, 11:12am; Reply: 15
The subbuteo  Town strip was the same as Newcastle and Notts Co. I painted the socks red.
Posted by: Posh Harry, March 15, 2020, 11:16am; Reply: 16
Quoted from rancido

Toptastic fact rancido!

Used to love playing as a kid. Had a league with friends and we would even go to each other’s houses so we could play home and away. I produce a handwritten (well it would be in those days) football newspaper as well giving reports on all the games.

God, life was so simple it the 70’s!
Posted by: Ipswin, March 15, 2020, 11:36am; Reply: 17
I still have the medals we handed out for our league and cup competitions in our 4 team Subbuteo league.

Housed in 'Three Torches' matchboxes (remember those?) on cotton wool they were actually 'World Cup Willy game' coins (remember those?)
Posted by: rancido, March 15, 2020, 12:17pm; Reply: 18

Excellent stuff!

My elder brother had it. As you could move the pitch around he named his team Portable Rovers who naturally played at Portable Road. The original teams he had were the old models in which the plastic players had a tab under their feet which slotted into the base. One of the players wasn’t glued down properly so he kept falling off his base. This player became his club captain and was honoured with the name of Sir Stanley Dropbottom.

Not being as good being the younger brother, my team was like a pub team in comparison so I adopted the name of Cross Keys (after the old pub on Cleethorpes High Street - sadly closed before I was old enough).

Great ! So me and my mates weren't the only mad ones around playing Subuteo. I remember the flat plastic players from a set that my brother had and I also recall one or two flat cardboard ones that my eldest brother , who is 84 now , used to have.
Mine were the solid plastic figures. On the subject of naming players , I took one, cut his head off, painted the remaining stump with red paint and called him Ed Missing! He had a lethal left foot but was no good in the air! My mates thought I had gone too far at that point and accused me of not taking the game seriously enough.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 15, 2020, 12:38pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from rancido

Great ! So me and my mates weren't the only mad ones around playing Subuteo. I remember the flat plastic players from a set that my brother had and I also recall one or two flat cardboard ones that my eldest brother , who is 84 now , used to have.
Mine were the solid plastic figures. On the subject of naming players , I took one, cut his head off, painted the remaining stump with red paint and called him Ed Missing! He had a lethal left foot but was no good in the air! My mates thought I had gone too far at that point and accused me of not taking the game seriously enough.

Not by a long chalk. I had my Airfix Guards Band ‘play’ on the pitch before a cup final.
Posted by: promotion plaice, March 15, 2020, 12:52pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from arryarryarry

I and a few friends formed a mini league, I won it. ;D

I made my own stands out of cardboard to look like Blundell Park.  :P

We also had a league and I also won it, more than once   :)
We called our teams after international teams, I was England.
My dad made a thin board for me to lay the pitch on, rough side up so the pitch stuck well to it and didn't move.
I think VAR would have picked up a few illegal push shots in the day   ;D

Posted by: promotion plaice, March 15, 2020, 1:04pm; Reply: 21

Forgot to mention but I had on of those goalies that was on a spring, not sure what difference it made from the rigid goalie though ?
Posted by: Bigdog, March 15, 2020, 2:37pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from devs
Logacta all day long!

There was a form dice as the season progressed - so that team had two dice to roll

My younger brother had a real soft spot for Darlington - so when they made it into Europe (he was only about 40 it was like it had happened!)

Yes Devs.. got a bit addicted to it as a young kid back in the day..
Posted by: devs, March 15, 2020, 5:44pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from Bigdog

Yes Devs.. got a bit addicted to it as a young kid back in the day..

Excellent - the only other person I know who had Logacta
Very addictive!
Posted by: Les Brechin, March 15, 2020, 6:00pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from devs
Logacta all day long!

Yeah, I had Logacta too. The dices (die) were different colours too and had actual numbers on rather that dots if I'm remebering correctly.

Gave me hours of fun as a kid.

Posted by: RonMariner, March 15, 2020, 6:58pm; Reply: 25
I had a Casdon Soccer Game, with Bobby Charlton on the box. It was great. Players were in a fixed position but could swivel. Game was played with a ball bearing. Great fun.
Posted by: northbankmariner, March 15, 2020, 7:07pm; Reply: 26
Remember many happy days playing subbuteo. I did not realise how conpetative me and elder brothers were until we started playing.   It was the cause of many arguments and broken players in a strop lol. Probably the best Xmas present we had as young kids. Loved collecting the different teams, I remember having a Newcastle utd one as it was the closest we could get to Grimsby and my favourite was a celtic one. It would be great to have another go at it but kids these does don't have it as it is not an electrical gadget. They don't know what they are missing out on.

I am thinking it would be a good idea to hold a tournament in the trust bar one weekend. It would be a good way of getting some revenue in during the current postponement of matches. But I dare say health and safety would rule this out as hand contact on the players etc.  Bloody virus is even stopping table football now.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 15, 2020, 7:09pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Les Brechin

Yeah, I had Logacta too. The dices (die) were different colours too and had actual numbers on rather that dots if I'm remebering correctly.

Gave me hours of fun as a kid.

Pedantry alert:

Singular = die
Plural = dice

Though I’ve never come across anyone use the word ‘die’ in speech. Just in print. So you can get away with ‘dice’ for singular and plural (like sheep).
Posted by: TonySmith, March 16, 2020, 1:19pm; Reply: 28
  Love this nostalgic thread. My brother and I played full league seasons against each other for many years. I always chose the black and white stripes if I could get to them first. I remember one of the players was just a base. He had excellent close control due to his low center of gravity. We called him Dave Boylen.
Posted by: Les Brechin, March 16, 2020, 2:14pm; Reply: 29
You can still buy Logacta here. £150 though!!

https://www.oldfootballgames.co.uk/index.asp?pageid=70438

[img]https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/s3.spanglefish.com/s/4458/pictures/big/log1.jpg[/img]

[img]https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/s3.spanglefish.com/s/4458/pictures/vbig/logacta-dice.jpg[/img]

[img]https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/s3.spanglefish.com/s/4458/pictures/vbig/logacta-5.jpg[/img]
Posted by: The Yard Dog, March 16, 2020, 2:23pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from rancido

I had the floodlight version of subbuteo, no longer have the floodlights has Mr Fenty is currently using them at BP.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, March 16, 2020, 4:06pm; Reply: 31
I wonder if anyone on here remembers the game "Newfooty"

It was the pre-cursor of Subbuteo... came out between the two World Wars. Not much online about it except for this brief Wiki page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newfooty

My grandad used to run a league in the Grimsby area where he lived ( maybe even further afield ) - he had a newsagents and loads of the lads who took papers used to play the game

When I was a kid my grandad still had all the old paraphernalia.... teams galore as they were cardboard kits inserted into a groove on a lead base. H&S would never allow it nowadays!  ::)

My dad told me that the guy who invented it let the patent lapse after WWII  and whoever it was who came up with Subbuteo after WWII cottoned on to that and the rest is history

http://www.peter-upton.co.uk/newfooty.htm
Posted by: Madeleymariner, March 16, 2020, 4:33pm; Reply: 32
Loved Subbuteo like others with a few mates had a league, it really worked well as my friends supported Hull Scunny and Leeds nearly every game was a derby or grudge match. I bought the Leeds team then painted them in Town colours (red socks and numbers inc) using airfix paint. Still got the stuff in a cupboard somewhere, played with Son Of and Younger Son Of when they were kids in the late 90s as well.
Posted by: supertown, March 16, 2020, 4:47pm; Reply: 33
I had the floodlight version too , always needed a few tubes of bostik to hand
Posted by: lee65, March 16, 2020, 8:17pm; Reply: 34
In the mid 70’s (roughly) I had “Striker”, in which the plastic players kicked the ball by you pushing their heads down.  Really powerful shooting, but if you got too enthusiastic it was easy to break the players  :) Very hard to keep the felt pitch flat, even after ironing!, but the diving goalies were great

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/YmsAAOSwHZBeYSIi/s-l1600.jpg
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 16, 2020, 10:03pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from lee65
In the mid 70’s (roughly) I had “Striker”, in which the plastic players kicked the ball by you pushing their heads down.  Really powerful shooting, but if you got too enthusiastic it was easy to break the players  :) Very hard to keep the felt pitch flat, even after ironing!, but the diving goalies were great

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/YmsAAOSwHZBeYSIi/s-l1600.jpg

Me too. It was probably the best football game after Subbuteo IMO. Five a side wasn’t it. You could bounce the ball off the side barrier.
Posted by: lee65, March 16, 2020, 10:14pm; Reply: 36

Me too. It was probably the best football game after Subbuteo IMO. Five a side wasn’t it. You could bounce the ball off the side barrier.

You could if you could get the over enthusiastic players to keep it below the flexi barrier height  :)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 17, 2020, 1:37pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from lee65

You could if you could get the over enthusiastic players to keep it below the flexi barrier height  :)

The secret was to not get the player too close to the ball so his foot didn’t get under it. Much like in real football 😁
Print page generated: May 11, 2024, 9:27am