Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Plymouth Match Thread
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 154 Guests

Plymouth Match Thread

This thread currently has 35,995 views. Print
25 Pages Prev ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 Next All Recommend Thread
PoutonStepover
March 3, 2020, 10:39pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +107
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from Hagrid

Sorry but i do not agree. He’s done well, no doubt, but he has no pace and thats apparent whoever we play against or whoever he is alongside. All our CB’s are good in the air but can you seriously say we have good centr halves, the goals we are conceding.....5 in pollocks last 2 games, 5 in Ohmans, Waterfall 12? I think in 4. Its dire. Its the usual grimsby thing to overhype players, rose clifton etc, i just dont think pollock is as good as others see. For me just a strong centre half with no pace.

If Pollock had pace he wouldn’t be here simple as that....he’d have been sold in January for a million quid having played 15 games for us and being just another in a long line of youngsters we wish we could have kept for another season or 2!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 210 - 242
mariner91
March 3, 2020, 10:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,656
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from aldi_01
Not sure Hanson can be seen as the saviour, more a reflection of how poor the others are.

Tonight was dire. Can’t actually think of another word to describe it...

I'd agree with that to an extent. I don't think you can rely on Hanson as your focal point for the season, seems too injury prone going off this season and recent seasons he's had plus the fact he's always in a physical battle will take it's toll. He does though cause problems and draws defenders to him creating space for others. The issue being that most of Jolley's attacking signings were so poor and the service from the midfield so bad that there was no way to capitalise on the space created. He could definitely play an important role in a promotion bid but we would need another striker who is just as capable of leading the line.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 211 - 242
FishOutOfWater
March 3, 2020, 11:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Abdul19

And Vernam

I was going to say Vernam but Jolley didn't seem to favour him or at least didn't know where to play him to get the best out of him
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 212 - 242
toontown
March 3, 2020, 11:07pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Today's performances was a lot worse than Saturday's. Against Northampton we were punished for almost evéyyhing we got wrong, tonite we were let off more often than they scored. Saturday we could have had 5 goals. Today we could, maybe, have scored 1 if we had been lucky.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 213 - 242
FishOutOfWater
March 3, 2020, 11:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from toontown
Today's performances was a lot worse than Saturday's. Against Northampton we were punished for almost evéyyhing we got wrong, tonite we were let off more often than they scored. Saturday we could have had 5 goals. Today we could, maybe, have scored 1 if we had been lucky.

Fair assessment

On any other day we would have scored against Northampton but tonight we were pretty much hopeless going forward.... but not as hopeless as we were at the back
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 214 - 242
Madeleymariner
March 3, 2020, 11:51pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,059
Gold Stars: 50
Its alright not rating Rose & Clifton, but we need at least 2 academy players in matchday squads next season to stay within rules so need to be sure we have at least 3 or 4 capable of turning out allowing for possible injuries etc. are they good enough, not sure, lets see how they get on next season after a preseason with Ollie.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 215 - 242
SpudUDontLike
March 3, 2020, 11:55pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Approval: +309
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from WesternMariner
[quote=3351]

[/b]Not always about pace at centre half, if you can read a game well then pace is just a bonus. [b]Sometimes a defender chasing back at pace and winning a slide challenge looks better than him just being in the right place to win it simply. Look at Van Dijk, he’s got both and that’s why he looks like he walks through games at times. For an 18 year old lad, his positional sense is very good with bags of room for learning and improvement. We’ve played some good teams lately as well, but of a learning curve will do him good.

Also you need to look at why we’re conceding more. Because we’re attacking more. Full backs are 10-20 yards further up when we have the ball with the wingers very high. Often 2 of the 3 central midfielders have bombed on and were exposed. It’s how Ollie wants to play, and it’s refreshing, even if we lose if I’m honest. We need to work on it obviously and come August we might see a very different look to the side.[/quote

For example Paul McGrath - when he played at BP for Villa in January ‘94 his legs were literally gone by that point of his career and he was fuelled entirely on ale but was still the best player on the pitch. Entirely on positional sense and anticipation. Central defenders don’t always need pace.

His legs weren't "literally gone". That would've caused major problems even for someone as good as he was.

We are destined to a fool's fate that deserves to be mocked.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 216 - 242
Mayaman
March 4, 2020, 12:09am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,416
Gold Stars: 74
Woke up to some dismal reading.  How can you not play Glennon.  Yeah, he didn't play well on Saturday but everybody has a bad game.  Somebody suggested that IH is checking out the players for next season.  I'd say if he doesn't know by now, he never will.  Before the Northampton game we still had a crack, albeit remotely, of the play-offs.  That's dead and buried now
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 217 - 242
Theimperialcoroner
March 4, 2020, 3:01am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,209
Gold Stars: 102
Just back. Result spoilt an otherwise lovely day.

Their movement was excellent but our defense/midfield simply didn’t read it. Waterfall no good, Whitehouse no good, Clifton no good, Green worse than that. Benson and Clarke are not going to boss a midfield as long as I’ve got a hole in my bottom.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 218 - 242
aldi_01
March 4, 2020, 6:36am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I know everyone wanted to believe the hyperbole but there is a reason those players are at a bottom half league 2 club...I appreciate some are on loan and learning still but the likes of waterfall and Green aren’t.

I understand that he wants to see all the players and give them a chance but we’ve not really been able to keep any consistency with the side and against the better teams they’ve punished us.

I think whitehouse has been arguably the most improved player since Holloway came in and then he gets dropped, that must confuse a player. We’re distinctly lacking up top. We had zero threat last night. Defensively, the least said the better. I’m sorry but waterfall is bottom.

Saturday could be a really poor game between two poor sides...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 219 - 242
25 Pages Prev ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Plymouth Match Thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.