RonMariner
February 23, 2020, 7:38pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,669
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from GollyGTFC
Wilder exposed for the fight-dodging fraud that he's always been. Zero boxing skill. He's a street fighter with a vicious right hand. He's fought bang average opposition his whole career and rescued himself with one punch because his opponent made a mistake.

Normally a great boxer beats a great fighter fairly easily and that's exactly what happened. The first time Wilder has faced a top operator who is fully and properly prepared for a fight and he's dismantled in a convincing manner.

I don't see the point in a 3rd Fury v Wilder fight. It wasn't a close fight. Fury v AJ needs to happen this year. It's the only big fight out there for either man now that Wilder has been shown to be a 2nd tier operator.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. Wilder has been wobbled and in trouble in a few fights recently but has got out of jail thanks to his sledgehammer right hand.

Fury exposed his weakness last night. He didn't just beat him, but I think he destroyed any credibility he had.  He made him look like a novice.

I don't see any point in a third fight, and I don't think anyone who saw this fight would give Wilder a chance in a rematch, and so marketing it will be difficult. But he has the option, and would no doubt get millions to receive another savage beating. So it will probably happen.

Of course the fans want to see Fury v AJ, and I have to say that on last night showing I wouldn't give AJ any more of a chance of winning than Wilder.  Fury is the real deal. A big, strong, quick fighter with excellent boxing skills. He is just too good for either Wilder or AJ. Neither of whom will be able to go the distance with Fury any time soon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 33
RonMariner
February 23, 2020, 9:18pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,669
Gold Stars: 226
I wouldn't be surprised if Fury didn't retire should he beat AJ. He really would have nothing left to prove. He says himself that his career would be complete.

Might be smart for Wilder to wait until after that happens and then get a match up with AJ or whoever for the vacated titles.

That might be better than getting beaten up by Fury again. Another beating like the one he got last night would probably finish his career.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 33
Sammo
February 23, 2020, 9:52pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +171
After last night Wilder would be wise not to take up his contracted rematch, totally outclassed by Fury who has proved to be the best heavyweight on the planet.

As for AJ can't see him handling Fury any better than Wilder and a bad defeat surely would be the end for AJ.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 33
grimsby pete
February 23, 2020, 10:29pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from cmackenzie4
My mother said exactly the same Les, when I used to compete she’d not sleep till she knew I was safe, I was amateur so was looked after reasonably well, I’d not want my lad boxing Les so I actually agree with you too mate.

It's the money involved that gets me 31 million pounds for one fight ?

The world's gone mad.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 33
Marinerz93
February 24, 2020, 12:08am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Les Brechin
I'm sorry, I'm no prude but I've never got boxing and never will do.

How on earth can you call it a sport when the sole intention is only to go out and hurt your opponent, sometimes leaving them in a coma or with irreparable brain damage.

Just makes no sense to me whatsoever.

If you want to watch a fight, just go down Cleethorpes on a Friday or Saturday night.

There was a chap killed with one punch in Cleethorpes market place in a fight he didn't look for so I don't agree with your view on that. In boxing there are doctors at the ring side and you don't see boxers kicking their opponent or hitting their opponent in the back of the head when they are on the floor or not in a position to defend themselves. The boxers corner can throw in the towel at any point to end the fight and also the ref can call an end to a fight if he doesn't like what he sees.

For watching it's the skill of the boxer to out maneuver his opponent and open up target points to score points. The gloves do offer some protection and if you have spared with different weighted gloves against a middle weight you'll agree. 8 oz gloves will hurt more than 14 oz as size is down to padding in the glove. A heavy glove will slow down punches but will protect the hand more.

For being in the ring it's the adrenaline with fight or flight, controlled aggression, patience and most importantly respect. To step into the ring it's not just turn up and windmill for 3 minutes. It takes months of training and discipline that can be used in other parts of life, your opponent has gone through a similar journey so unless they have a reputation as an anus you won't see boxers generally using malicious tactics or illegal moves to take down an opponent.

Now take Tyson's journey, a few months ago he lost to Wilder or robbed in most eyes, he had mental health issues that saw his weight balloon to 28 stone. He trained like hell, lost the weight and got his mental health back in check, he out boxed Wilder and unless he is after a last pay day I can't see Wilder triggering the contractual clause for a 3rd fight.

Boxing might not be everybody's taste, but there is a lot more to boxing than just clobbering someone in the chops.

The sport has also been cleaned up dramatically, there are several ref's in a room before the fight and only one of them will be chosen to ref the match. This prevents the ref being bought and swaying the fight.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 33
Les Brechin
February 24, 2020, 8:39am

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,708
Gold Stars: 174
Fair enough, maybe that last line was a bit crass but I fully stand by the rest of my post.

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 33
Rick12
February 24, 2020, 3:14pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from Les Brechin
I'm sorry, I'm no prude but I've never got boxing and never will do.

How on earth can you call it a sport when the sole intention is only to go out and hurt your opponent, sometimes leaving them in a coma or with irreparable brain damage.

Just makes no sense to me whatsoever.

If you want to watch a fight, just go down Cleethorpes on a Friday or Saturday night.
Boxing goes to something that has always existed in nature prior to the onset of human evolution. Survival of the fittest.Cavemen were doing it .

There is  risk in all sports albeit some higher than others.As long as there is controls you cant eradicate something that has existed for thousands of millennia.

Likewise I consider boxing like athletics a pure sport.No equipment just man on man relying on the effort of his own will.Unlike football you cant blame noone but yourself.Its very real and thats why I love the sport.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 33
grimsby pete
February 24, 2020, 3:18pm

Exile
I think you are more likely to get a head injury playing football than boxing.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 33
Rick12
February 24, 2020, 3:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from grimsby pete
I think you are more likely to get a head injury playing football than boxing.
I just heard today on the radio they have banned heading in football for primary school children due to the risks of dementia.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 33
grimsby pete
February 24, 2020, 3:26pm

Exile
Quoted from Rick12
I just heard today on the radio they have banned heading in football for primary school children due to the risks of dementia.

I heard that last week Rick news must be on the slow train reaching you.

I got KO  playing football once and I have never been the same since.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 33
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Fury/Wilder rematch

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.