Reply: 30 - 40
diehardmariner
February 19, 2020, 11:03am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,610
Gold Stars: 538
Stinker of a game.  Town never really got going. Donny were young and very quick!

Garmston looked a bit ring rusty but showed on occasions that he likes to get forward.

Idehen at the back looked very uncomfortable on the ball but used his athleticism a few times to good effect.  Ohman was trying the long diagonal ball far too many times with it going out for a throw-in more often than not.

Midfield was a sort of 3 with Clifton holding, Buckley and Tilley pushing forward.  Wright and Rose wide and making it a 3-man attack when going forward, 5 man midfield when defending.  

Green took his goal very well but did little else.  Rose still looks a long way off, with the fresh life in some players and new signings needs to really kick on the next few months in my opinion.  

Clifton dd a decent job in the holding role and kept things ticking nicely.  Tilley is a proper footballer and is one of those who wants the ball all the time, can't quite figure out where he would best fit in but looks capable of playing anywhere across the middle or behind the striker.  

Davies came on for a few minutes and barely touched it.

Shows how far we've come in the last few months when the likes of Rose, Wright, Clifton and Ohman were all first names on the team sheet and now look like they may struggle to make the bench.
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 40
promotion plaice
February 19, 2020, 11:48am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from golfer
Barratts mate

Barrett's  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 40
forza ivano
February 19, 2020, 12:27pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,170
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from promotion plaice

Barrett's  

surely must be renamed 'Berrett's' in honour of the midfield legend?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 40
golfer
February 19, 2020, 3:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,428
Gold Stars: 116
When B.P. was built in 1899 most of the workers used to go to a shack on the site of the present car park for alcoholic refreshments The owner of the shack was an old git called Benjamin Barrett and when the site foreman approached him to ask him to fek off as he was the reason for the delay ( B.P. should have been completede a year earlier) he was met with a tirade of abuse. The foreman unused to this language suddenly hit him over the head with a pick axe splitting him open from earhole to arzhole. His men immediately sobered up and rallied round him and burried the body under the stand . The name was later changed from Barratt to Barrett in honour of the old timer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 40
promotion plaice
February 19, 2020, 8:53pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from golfer
When B.P. was built in 1899 most of the workers used to go to a shack on the site of the present car park for alcoholic refreshments The owner of the shack was an old git called Benjamin Barrett and when the site foreman approached him to ask him to fek off as he was the reason for the delay ( B.P. should have been completede a year earlier) he was met with a tirade of abuse. The foreman unused to this language suddenly hit him over the head with a pick axe splitting him open from earhole to arzhole. His men immediately sobered up and rallied round him and burried the body under the stand . The name was later changed from Barratt to Barrett in honour of the old timer.

You learn something new every day and I thought the stand was built by Barratt Homes  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 40
TownSNAFU5
February 19, 2020, 9:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,875
Gold Stars: 42
The Barratt Stand is part of our rich history.  I love the tale of the body buried in the foundations.  

Also that when it was demolished in the early 1980s it was found that there no foundations.  The stand survived under its own weight and the fans (standing only).  I can remember the wood terracing rocking.

There was a tale of a small fire in the stand. Put out by fans stamping it out.  I dread to think what could have happened.

My dad told me last year he lived on Elliston Street, just across from BP.  Throughout most of the 1930s he worked as a child/youth in the Barratt Stand.  He sold matches to all the smokers (yes, in a wooden stand) and chocolates.  The chocolates came from from the Betmead’s family confectionary shop near the ground.  Betmead being on our best ever players.

He was at the Wolves game (1937?)  where the record attendance was 31,651.  The fans were packed in like sardines.  Orders and cash for matches and chocs were passed down by fans.  The goods and change were then passed back up through the fans.  All based on trust.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 40
arryarryarry
February 19, 2020, 10:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,043
Quoted from golfer

Did you write the Labour Party manifesto?
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 40
golfer
February 19, 2020, 10:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,428
Quoted from arryarryarry

Did you write the Labour Party manifesto?

And all the labourers were given free internet and Netflix
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 40
KingstonMariner
February 22, 2020, 8:38am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from promotion plaice

You learn something new every day and I thought the stand was built by Barratt Homes  

Don’t be daft Barratt Homes was a detective.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 40
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Reserves in action tomorrow at BP

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.