Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 17, 2020, 5:08pm

I might pop along:

"A number of first team players will be involved in tomorrow's Central League fixture vs. Doncaster Rovers at Blundell Park."

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2020/february/strong-reserve-team-in-action-tomorrow/
Posted by: Garth, February 17, 2020, 5:15pm; Reply: 1
Southend striker playing.?
Posted by: Meza, February 17, 2020, 6:39pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from Garth

Yeah I heard about this, not sure how true though.

Looking back at the last 3 seasons some of the strikers released -

Simon Cox (went to play in Australia's league)
Nile Ranger (also played for Blackpool)
Amadou Ba
Norman Wabo

it could be anyone to be fair haha.  I mean these days i'm struggling to keep up with these new players (Josh Benson of this world) its starting to feel like FM where the only names you remember are retired and its just new gens with made up names lol.
Posted by: Abdul19, February 17, 2020, 9:44pm; Reply: 3
There's been 4 reserve games in 6 and a half months?!
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, February 17, 2020, 11:13pm; Reply: 4
Even I might pop along to watch them tomorrow. Town Reserves won at Doncaster last year while we were still under MJ's tenure so............just maybe......possibly......potentially........under the new tenure of IH, and with several first teamers pushing for the starting XI, there is the chance of a great showing on our part.

Incidentally do they still sell Bovril in the kiosks?
Posted by: gobby, February 18, 2020, 7:37am; Reply: 5
Even I might pop along to watch them tomorrow. Town Reserves won at Doncaster last year while we were still under MJ's tenure so............just maybe......possibly......potentially........under the new tenure of IH, and with several first teamers pushing for the starting XI, there is the chance of a great showing on our part.

Indeed they do. 😎
UTMM
Posted by: forza ivano, February 18, 2020, 8:08am; Reply: 6
Even I might pop along to watch them tomorrow.

No stewards so I reckon you could easily get a flask in.

You sometimes get these games coming up on in play,  if town have strong line up and are trying to impress sir ian it might be worth having a couple of quid on us
Posted by: Hagrid, February 18, 2020, 10:06am; Reply: 7
We are 4/9 so no point in that
Posted by: Sigone, February 18, 2020, 1:12pm; Reply: 8
📝 Today's #GTFC XI: Russell, Hewitt, Öhman, Idehen, Garmston, Wright, Buckley, Clifton, Tilley, Rose, Green.

Subs: Starbuck, Hope, Painter, Khouri, B. Davies.
Posted by: Hagrid, February 18, 2020, 1:18pm; Reply: 9
Gone 3/5 and im tempted wont lie
Posted by: psgmariner, February 18, 2020, 1:30pm; Reply: 10
What's the Donny line up like? Are they all under 23s?
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, February 18, 2020, 1:41pm; Reply: 11
Ben Davies on the bench !!!!!????!!!!!
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, February 18, 2020, 1:51pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Sigone
📝 Today's #GTFC XI: Russell, Hewitt, Öhman, Idehen, Garmston, Wright, Buckley, Clifton, Tilley, Rose, Green.

Subs: Starbuck, Hope, Painter, Khouri, B. Davies.

Whose the bold lad?!
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, February 18, 2020, 1:52pm; Reply: 13

Last time I asked for a Bovril they were out of stock.... ( this is true btw!!  ;D )
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, February 18, 2020, 2:07pm; Reply: 14
We're 1 down inside 4 minutes so now available at a measly 11/8.
Posted by: PoutonStepover, February 18, 2020, 2:17pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Mariner Timsky

Whose the bold lad?!

Duncan Idehen, second year academy player.
Posted by: Hagrid, February 18, 2020, 2:55pm; Reply: 16
The main stand is bloody freezing
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, February 18, 2020, 3:15pm; Reply: 17
Nobody switched the heating on??!!
Posted by: BenBB, February 18, 2020, 3:53pm; Reply: 18
1-1, goal by Matt Green, not bad!
Posted by: Abdul19, February 18, 2020, 3:54pm; Reply: 19
1-1 FT. Green with our goal. Bad result for shady far eastern syndicates and bored Premier League footballers.

And Davies played the last 8 minutes.
Posted by: fishboyUTM, February 18, 2020, 6:49pm; Reply: 20
Not too many came out of that game with too much of an argument to start in the first team. Doncaster fielded an extremely young side, either that or I'm getting proper old but they looked like children to me.
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 18, 2020, 7:56pm; Reply: 21

Anyone know if Ollie was there, I didn't see him?
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 18, 2020, 8:34pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from fishboyUTM
Not too many came out of that game with too much of an argument to start in the first team. Doncaster fielded an extremely young side, either that or I'm getting proper old but they looked like children to me.

Green looks like a kid to me   :)

Thought it was pretty even first half, second half we dominated but lacked that cutting edge.

Posted by: Hagrid, February 18, 2020, 8:38pm; Reply: 23
Yeah holloway was there
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 18, 2020, 11:14pm; Reply: 24

There was a right knob a few rows behind me shouting abuse at one of their players, not racially but it was embarrassing, I felt sorry for the lad.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 18, 2020, 11:24pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from promotion plaice

There was a right knob a few rows behind me shouting abuse at one of their players, not racially but it was embarrassing, I felt sorry for the lad.

Fathers can be embarrassing. 😆
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 18, 2020, 11:35pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Fathers can be embarrassing. 😆

Young lad that sounded like he knew our players personally but could be wrong.

Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, February 18, 2020, 11:47pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Garth

Whats the story here?
Posted by: fishboyUTM, February 19, 2020, 5:15am; Reply: 28

Anyone know if Ollie was there, I didn't see him?

He was in the ticket office just before kick off.
Posted by: rancido, February 19, 2020, 8:44am; Reply: 29
Quoted from Hagrid
Yeah holloway was there

I think he watched from the boxes in the Findus/Stones stand, whatever its called now!
Posted by: golfer, February 19, 2020, 8:48am; Reply: 30
Barratts mate
Posted by: diehardmariner, February 19, 2020, 11:03am; Reply: 31
Stinker of a game.  Town never really got going. Donny were young and very quick!

Garmston looked a bit ring rusty but showed on occasions that he likes to get forward.

Idehen at the back looked very uncomfortable on the ball but used his athleticism a few times to good effect.  Ohman was trying the long diagonal ball far too many times with it going out for a throw-in more often than not.

Midfield was a sort of 3 with Clifton holding, Buckley and Tilley pushing forward.  Wright and Rose wide and making it a 3-man attack when going forward, 5 man midfield when defending.  

Green took his goal very well but did little else.  Rose still looks a long way off, with the fresh life in some players and new signings needs to really kick on the next few months in my opinion.  

Clifton dd a decent job in the holding role and kept things ticking nicely.  Tilley is a proper footballer and is one of those who wants the ball all the time, can't quite figure out where he would best fit in but looks capable of playing anywhere across the middle or behind the striker.  

Davies came on for a few minutes and barely touched it.

Shows how far we've come in the last few months when the likes of Rose, Wright, Clifton and Ohman were all first names on the team sheet and now look like they may struggle to make the bench.
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 19, 2020, 11:48am; Reply: 32
Quoted from golfer
Barratts mate

Barrett's   ;)

Posted by: forza ivano, February 19, 2020, 12:27pm; Reply: 33

Barrett's   ;)

surely must be renamed 'Berrett's' in honour of the midfield legend? :-/
Posted by: golfer, February 19, 2020, 3:56pm; Reply: 34
When B.P. was built in 1899 most of the workers used to go to a shack on the site of the present car park for alcoholic refreshments The owner of the shack was an old git called Benjamin Barrett and when the site foreman approached him to ask him to fek off as he was the reason for the delay ( B.P. should have been completede a year earlier) he was met with a tirade of abuse. The foreman unused to this language suddenly hit him over the head with a pick axe splitting him open from earhole to arzhole. His men immediately sobered up and rallied round him and burried the body under the stand . The name was later changed from Barratt to Barrett in honour of the old timer.
Posted by: promotion plaice, February 19, 2020, 8:53pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from golfer
When B.P. was built in 1899 most of the workers used to go to a shack on the site of the present car park for alcoholic refreshments The owner of the shack was an old git called Benjamin Barrett and when the site foreman approached him to ask him to fek off as he was the reason for the delay ( B.P. should have been completede a year earlier) he was met with a tirade of abuse. The foreman unused to this language suddenly hit him over the head with a pick axe splitting him open from earhole to arzhole. His men immediately sobered up and rallied round him and burried the body under the stand . The name was later changed from Barratt to Barrett in honour of the old timer.

You learn something new every day and I thought the stand was built by Barratt Homes   :)

Posted by: TownSNAFU5, February 19, 2020, 9:47pm; Reply: 36
The Barratt Stand is part of our rich history.  I love the tale of the body buried in the foundations.  

Also that when it was demolished in the early 1980s it was found that there no foundations.  The stand survived under its own weight and the fans (standing only).  I can remember the wood terracing rocking.

There was a tale of a small fire in the stand. Put out by fans stamping it out.  I dread to think what could have happened.

My dad told me last year he lived on Elliston Street, just across from BP.  Throughout most of the 1930s he worked as a child/youth in the Barratt Stand.  He sold matches to all the smokers (yes, in a wooden stand) and chocolates.  The chocolates came from from the Betmead’s family confectionary shop near the ground.  Betmead being on our best ever players.

He was at the Wolves game (1937?)  where the record attendance was 31,651.  The fans were packed in like sardines.  Orders and cash for matches and chocs were passed down by fans.  The goods and change were then passed back up through the fans.  All based on trust.
Posted by: arryarryarry, February 19, 2020, 10:05pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from golfer

Did you write the Labour Party manifesto?
Posted by: golfer, February 19, 2020, 10:40pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from arryarryarry

Did you write the Labour Party manifesto?

And all the labourers were given free internet and Netflix
Posted by: KingstonMariner, February 22, 2020, 8:38am; Reply: 39

You learn something new every day and I thought the stand was built by Barratt Homes   :)

Don’t be daft Barratt Homes was a detective.
Posted by: rancido, February 22, 2020, 12:11pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Don’t be daft Barratt Homes was a detective.

……… and Sherlock Holmes was a block of flats.
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 11:38am