3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
PaceyMariner
February 16, 2020, 7:40pm
Lower Findus
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +264
Gold Stars: 4
Not sure if it’s been mentioned, but fair play to the Pontoon yesterday. Atmosphere was a bit flat at times, but the Ponny was pretty loud at times yesterday from where I was sat in the Upper Youngs.

Pacey <*))))><
Logged Offline
Private Message
HertsGTFC
February 16, 2020, 8:26pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,555
Gold Stars: 217
Make it standing and things will get louder

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 21
grimsby pete
February 16, 2020, 9:11pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,763
Gold Stars: 221
If  man ure  get safe standing then so can we in the new stadium .

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 21
PaceyMariner
February 16, 2020, 9:23pm
Lower Findus
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +264
Gold Stars: 4
Totally agree that it wasn’t as loud as the old standing days, it never will be. But credit to those in there yesterday, louder than what it has been for a while.

Pacey <*))))><
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 21
monkeyboy
February 17, 2020, 6:28am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -174
Gold Stars: 26
To be fair i have thought for quite a long time we don't get a great atmosphere an BP anymore. Not sure if its the seating or what has been served up for best part of 20 years.
Away you cant fault it its superb and loud.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 21
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 17, 2020, 6:55am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,749
Gold Stars: 177
Best atmosphere I've known was the Fulham playoff game and that was all seater.

I think it's more to do with other reasons (not that I've been to BP this season!).

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 21
aldi_01
February 17, 2020, 7:16am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,686
Gold Stars: 473
I think the atmosphere is lacking generally because of a multitude of reasons. I don’t think it’s much to do with seating or standing.

On the issue of safe standing, if Utd do get it pushed through that could be a massive step forward in English football. A big club like that who will no doubt have a great legal team and the likes, could be instrumental in changing views and regulations.

Out of interest, let’s say they did put safe standing in the pontoon, would folk who sit elsewhere move so they could stand again?

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 21
diehardmariner
February 17, 2020, 10:06am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +16,981
Gold Stars: 516
Honestly?  

No.

Personally I prefer a side view to behind the goal at home games and I've got used to sitting.  Not an issue with standing when everyone stands at away games, like Bradford was and no doubt Scunny will be.  But I've got a bit comfortable with the luxury of having a seat.  

I think the other thing with bringing back standing (and I'm all in favour of it) is that it's great when it's packed and everyone is bouncing.  But it can be crap when the crowd is sparse and it's a February night game.  In the new stadium, if we do get a safe standing option I would quite like it to be in similar style to how the old Osmond was.  The upper part seating and the lower standing.  That would work better than having a block or two in my eyes.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 21
lew chaterleys lover
February 17, 2020, 10:21am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,499
Gold Stars: 229
Quoted from monkeyboy
To be fair i have thought for quite a long time we don't get a great atmosphere an BP anymore. Not sure if its the seating or what has been served up for best part of 20 years.
Away you cant fault it its superb and loud.

It has been the shocking standard of football, and a feeling the club weren't going anywhere.

The atmosphere has been excellent when something depended on it - that match for survival against Notts County for example was great; also not having enough away fans has had a lot to do with it.

We have not been two or three goals up often enough for the fans to be in party atmosphere, too often we have had to endure endless passages of play which barely got us out of our own half.

I don't think seating matters - people get on their feet anyway when  things get exciting and I can make as much noise sitting as standing. The Fulham game springs to mind with an electric atmosphere when we had all seating, but nothing will match the big games in the 60's and 70's when ocasionally 22,000 plus were in the ground - obviously the number of fans also makes a difference.

I think if we are challenging next season the atmosphere will return naturally - but this sort of thing should be a consideration if and when we design the new stadium so that the noise is kept within the ground.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 21
jock dock tower
February 17, 2020, 11:33am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
As a doddery old soul at the best of times I find myself harking back through black and white glasses to the 1970s a lot nowadays. From the 1971-2 season onwards there very often used to be a truly fantastic atmosphere in the Pontoon.

What looked like a huge mob was actually disparate groups of fans who usually had their own spot in the stand. When the singing and clapping started though it could be mesmeric as thousands of fans just came together as one. Don't know whether it was just me, but cup games always seemed to have that extra edge, especially the likes of Norwich City in the League Cup.

As I graduated out of the Pontoon into the Barratt Stand that was the place I will always remember as being the best. When the old MARINERS chant started in there it was amazing.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 21
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Pontoon

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.