3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Mayaman
February 17, 2020, 11:44am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,400
Gold Stars: 74
I was in the Pontoon on a milk crate when Brolly scored two against Everton.  As I get older standing seems less appealing.  Would be alright but the idiots with no idea about football will be back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 21
aldi_01
February 17, 2020, 12:06pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I think the safe standing debate has been done to death, but I was just curious if folk would move from a seat to a standing position. Personally I’d move, whilst I do prefer to sit down the side at home games, and have done all my life, the opportunity to stand would help me make the decision.

The success of safe standing is there for all to see and surely, if the technology and evidence is there, choice should be given to folk.

We all know it’s unlikely it’ll ever appear at BP but there has to be some consideration for the new ground. Not a corner or some section tucked away either, a more prominent spot would be useful.

Orlando have a singe stand, and whilst you can freely wander around the entire ground, again, something not seen in England so much but seemed logical. Understanding that your mates me be sat elsewhere but you can still enjoy a beer etc with them. You can’t enter the standing area without a wristband to stop over crowding etc. but it worked.

It has to be about choice, seating hasn’t enhanced atmosphere in stadia and arguably, it’s not the seating that’s improved safety, more that stands have better facilities and buildings were improved etc.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 21
grimps
February 17, 2020, 3:53pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,121
Gold Stars: 46
The Pontoon has always been a bit crap for acoustics , The Osmond stand is life better with the closed corner .
If we ever see a new ground in my life time I hope the close the corners at the home end and leave them open at the away , A bit like Stokes ground
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 21
dicko995
February 17, 2020, 4:19pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: -259
Gold Stars: 21
We definitely need a song like Liverpool and Hibs. With the whole ground singing it out, it would be awesome..... been topicked before but nothing been done yet, gotta be next on our list
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 21
barralad
February 17, 2020, 6:21pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
I sincerely hope that anyone who wants to stand gets the chance sooner rather than later. Unfortunately I doubt I could stand regularly for 90 minutes these days.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 21
February 18, 2020, 12:10am
Guest User
Quoted from grimps
The Pontoon has always been a bit crap for acoustics , The Osmond stand is life better with the closed corner .
If we ever see a new ground in my life time I hope the close the corners at the home end and leave them open at the away , A bit like Stokes ground

100% right for me.

I was in the Osmond (rare event) for the Notts County cup match after Paddy Hamilton passed away.
My ears may yet recover from the experience!

The Pontoon is a great example of making things more difficult than they need to be.
Which is part of our club's DNA.
I kinda love that too...
Reply: 15 - 21
aldi_01
February 18, 2020, 8:18am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Our recent history and results etc has naturally contributed to the poor atmosphere.

We can bemoan the poor design etc but plenty of stadiums that are worse than ours for acoustics across Europe but atmosphere remains. Pisa for instance have an old, decrepit stadium from the old days...zero roof...still an amazing atmosphere.

Generally, or certainly more recently, atmosphere in the UK tends to link to performances (although top flight games have been ruined by tourists with little actual connection to a team) and possible the implementation of all seating...but again, stadium all over the world have all seating yet still generate atmosphere.

Naturally numbers also have an impact, people talk of good atmosphere at BP and they generally link to full houses, games from 80s, 70s when 10k were packed in to a small space so naturally you’ll get more noise...

I’d agree with the osmond stand...great acoustics...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 21
Grimal
February 18, 2020, 7:39pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,858
Gold Stars: 9
I was in the main stand at the Res. game today, those bloody seats in there have that much of a forward slope you are almost standing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 21
Ipswin
February 18, 2020, 7:53pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
[quote=228]I sincerely hope that anyone who wants to stand gets the chance sooner rather than later. Unfortunately I doubt I could stand regularly for 90 minutes these days.[/quote

Like you I can't stand for 90 minutes and wouldn't choose to even if standing was avaiable. I want to sit down if the rude fornicator in front of me will allow it

I sincerely hope that anyone who wants to stand goes in a standing area and does not occupy the seat in front of me and does not spend the entire game leaping to his feet like a lunatic every time Town get the ball

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 21
crusty ole pie
February 19, 2020, 8:19am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,327
Gold Stars: 66
When there is no sizeable away support put them in the corner and open up the Osmond on non allocated system to allow the boys in the corner to congregate behind the goal with their drums bugles this would help to generate the atmosphere in the ground
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 21
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Pontoon

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.