5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
dapperz fun pub
January 22, 2020, 7:41am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,048
Gold Stars: 84
Football moved on slade didn’t & I always thought he lived in laceby considering the amount of time he spent in the bookies there. Must of plenty of money considering all those pay offs but he loved a punt so maybe not  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 47
AussieMariner
January 22, 2020, 7:47am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,074
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
Football moved on slade didn’t & I always thought he lived in laceby considering the amount of time he spent in the bookies there. Must of plenty of money considering all those pay offs but he loved a punt so maybe not  

Maybe Slade’s ‘existing commitments’ referred to by the Hereford chairman involve a local bookie?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 47
WOZOFGRIMSBY
January 22, 2020, 7:58am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,978
Gold Stars: 184
Non football

(Well it was when he was at town)

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 47
January 22, 2020, 12:02pm
Guest User
Did he ever win promotion with a club?
Reply: 43 - 47
January 22, 2020, 12:05pm
Guest User
Quoted from Maringer
Erm, Gary Jones? Rob Jones, Bolland, Whittle, Parkinson (on his day), Cohen etc. We signed some good players and, amidst the long ball stuff played some intelligent football at times. Don't let your dislike for Slade ignore the fact that we were a decent team under him. The biggest issue was that the signings he made at Christmas when we were top of the table that second season were flops (Junior Mendes, I'm looking at you especially). Came with a decent enough reputation but didn't do it for us.

I always came away from a game wondering how we'd won.
Reply: 44 - 47
toontown
January 22, 2020, 12:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,274
Gold Stars: 70

That doesn’t mean Slade didn’t make mistakes but his con merchant successor was allowed to make lots of those for months, play even worse football and be just as poor at buying a goal as Slade ...... but was consistently excused on the Fishy, match after match after match, on the basis that he needed time and “saved” us from relegation when in fact the side played just as badly but managed to conjure a couple of results at the right time.

I reckon those 3 appointments may have said more about fickle Fishy opinion than the managers.

Jolley was exposed when he had time to overcomplicate matters, his failure to get balance in a squad and deal with pressure. BUT his turnaround of that relegation threatened side was deserved. Off the top of my head he identified that Berrett was a major weak link fairly quickly and replaced him with a young clifton who slade never started. I recall clifyons first match and being interviewed afterwards saying his intention had been to effect the game. It was as if he had spent all season watching berret showing him how not to do it (and probs had). All berrett wanted to do was not get caught out of position and never take a risk with a pass. So immediately we had more energy and positivity in the middle and created morr pressire on opponents (not chances necessarily just pressure).
He also quickly spotted Rose had a better long throw than that CB that slade had doing them, not being able to know who has the best throw in your squad is criminal incompetence in a manager. Slade had him doing them cos he had done them at the last team he managed, so lazy. He also signed a player (kelly) who he had previously managed so knew , who was as unsuitable to be a professional footballer as I have seen. And in fact in less than a year he wasn't. Slade played him on occasion too. Just pure lazy recruitment.
Did jolley put rose on spot kicks too? I think slade had hooper on them. If so then how can you be a manager and not look into who is best at penaltys in your squad or incapable of identifying who it is if you do.
Didn't jolley change the formation too?
Jolley was out of his depth but was a marked improvement on slade, he was that bad, and that's how we avoided relegation.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 47
Abdul19
January 22, 2020, 1:13pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,596
Gold Stars: 219
Aye, Notts County under MJ was much better than the stuff Slades' team had been offering up at the end (Karleigh Osborne at Crawley was Vance Warner-esque)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 47
jamesgtfc
January 22, 2020, 1:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from toontown

Jolley was exposed when he had time to overcomplicate matters, his failure to get balance in a squad and deal with pressure. BUT his turnaround of that relegation threatened side was deserved. Off the top of my head he identified that Berrett was a major weak link fairly quickly and replaced him with a young clifton who slade never started. I recall clifyons first match and being interviewed afterwards saying his intention had been to effect the game. It was as if he had spent all season watching berret showing him how not to do it (and probs had). All berrett wanted to do was not get caught out of position and never take a risk with a pass. So immediately we had more energy and positivity in the middle and created morr pressire on opponents (not chances necessarily just pressure).
He also quickly spotted Rose had a better long throw than that CB that slade had doing them, not being able to know who has the best throw in your squad is criminal incompetence in a manager. Slade had him doing them cos he had done them at the last team he managed, so lazy. He also signed a player (kelly) who he had previously managed so knew , who was as unsuitable to be a professional footballer as I have seen. And in fact in less than a year he wasn't. Slade played him on occasion too. Just pure lazy recruitment.
Did jolley put rose on spot kicks too? I think slade had hooper on them. If so then how can you be a manager and not look into who is best at penaltys in your squad or incapable of identifying who it is if you do.
Didn't jolley change the formation too?
Jolley was out of his depth but was a marked improvement on slade, he was that bad, and that's how we avoided relegation.

I think MJ was good at working with what he inherited but came unstuck once there was pressure to make use of resources and improve things. Don't get me wrong, he signed some good players in Hendrie, Öhman, Hessenthaler but our squad was never balanced.

It also seems no coincidence that his last (and only) 2 management jobs have ended due to his dislike of the budget at his disposal.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Slade

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.