Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, January 20, 2020, 8:35pm
Sacked as Hereford manager. One win since the 1st of October, must be the end of the road surely. As a manager.
Posted by: TAGG, January 20, 2020, 8:46pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from Mariner Ronnie
Sacked as Hereford manager. One win since the 1st of October, must be the end of the road surely. As a manager.

Hes been employed by idiots before 👍

https://www.herefordtimes.com/news/local/
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, January 20, 2020, 8:50pm; Reply: 2
Shame that..😂😂
My heart bleeds purple p!as for that man..
Posted by: ginnywings, January 20, 2020, 9:00pm; Reply: 3
Dinosaur!
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 20, 2020, 9:01pm; Reply: 4

What's Wilko doing on a Saturday afternoon these days ?
Posted by: pizzzza, January 20, 2020, 9:14pm; Reply: 5
Always tough for Slade once Xmas is over.
Posted by: always grimsby, January 20, 2020, 9:14pm; Reply: 6
I know what it is like to lose a job
So I am not taking the p..s
I know him from old when he lived in Marshchapel
On his first tenure at the club he always did his best but I think like Paul hurst later he thought he had taken Town as far as he could and was offered a better deal by others so he took that which many of us would have done almost doubling his salary . So possibly it is time for him to retire now but he is a true football man so I wish him all the best in his retirement
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, January 20, 2020, 9:25pm; Reply: 7
Off to climb a mountain
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 20, 2020, 9:41pm; Reply: 8
Building for the future
Posted by: pizzzza, January 20, 2020, 9:44pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from always grimsby

Give over, football managers do not get "sacked" in the normal sense of the word. They get their fixed term contracts paid up and told to leave.

Anyway, judging by the comments of their chairman he has something else on the go:

Quoted Text
“Unfortunately the existing commitments of Russell Slade do not meet with the current demands of this football club," Graham said.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 20, 2020, 9:49pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from pizzzza

Give over, football managers do not get "sacked" in the normal sense of the word. They get their fixed term contracts paid up and told to leave.

Anyway, judging by the comments of their chairman he has something else on the go:

Maybe he's gone back to what he should have done a few years ago; teaching PE.
Posted by: WesternMariner, January 20, 2020, 10:04pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from pizzzza

Watch out for him on the new adverts for the Belgravia Centre.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 20, 2020, 10:10pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Maybe he's gone back to what he should have done a few years ago; teaching PE.

Darren Fletcher on 5 live said Slade was his PE teacher at school and was a great teacher, good at something then clearly.

Posted by: Bristol Mariner, January 20, 2020, 10:19pm; Reply: 13
Last slide of the powerpoint presentation:

You're fired!
Posted by: Maringer, January 21, 2020, 10:24am; Reply: 14
Surprising to see his rapid descent.

During his first spell with us and at subsequent clubs, you'd have to agree that he was a decent manager, even if you weren't keen on his style of play when at BP.

However, over the past few years his record has been just abysmal. Has the game really changed that much so that his previous competence suddenly becomes total incompetence? I was surprised how poor, weak and shapeless the team became with him in charge because if there was one thing I expected, it was organisation and players with the physical capacity to do the job. He must have really lost something, somewhere if his recent record is any indication.
Posted by: marinerdazza, January 21, 2020, 10:24am; Reply: 15
he thought he had taken Town as far as he could

No, that would have been the case had he waited to get us promoted, but he didn't and the rest is history.

Couldn't stand him. Been stealing a living ever since he left Orient. Hope I never hear him mentioned again.

Posted by: diehardmariner, January 21, 2020, 10:38am; Reply: 16
Quoted from Maringer
Surprising to see his rapid descent.

During his first spell with us and at subsequent clubs, you'd have to agree that he was a decent manager, even if you weren't keen on his style of play when at BP.

However, over the past few years his record has been just abysmal. Has the game really changed that much so that his previous competence suddenly becomes total incompetence? I was surprised how poor, weak and shapeless the team became with him in charge because if there was one thing I expected, it was organisation and players with the physical capacity to do the job. He must have really lost something, somewhere if his recent record is any indication.

My thoughts exactly Les.  Almost an overnight switch from being a very capable manager, albeit with a reputation for doing a job rather than entertaining, to a bit of a disaster.

Maybe his heart has just left the game.  

You see a decline in a manager but it's usually when they've had a couple of years out and the games moves on without them a little, whereas Slade hasn't really spent any time outside the game for that long.   Odd one.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 21, 2020, 10:58am; Reply: 17
Opinion on Slade was always the result of that Cardiff falling out for Town fans.. He was no mug as far as football was concerned and like other managers, if he could get some decent players, he could get results. He is an intelligent bloke just wanting to make a living in the game. Some managers are born lucky, Slade is not one of them. He’s no genius that’s for sure but in his first spell here he was good, no doubt about that.

His biggest mistake was coming back to BP. That really was silly. He would never have been welcome here with some supporters even if he had got a double promotion for Town and treated every supporter to a season ticket. Surely he must have known that. Maybe it was pride or maybe he needed the money, who knows? That may be why he took the no hoper job at Hereford as well. But his relationship with Fenty was always on a knife edge and his budget here was minimal bearing in mind as well what he inherited from Bignot, that other managerial genius.

That doesn’t mean Slade didn’t make mistakes but his con merchant successor was allowed to make lots of those for months, play even worse football and be just as poor at buying a goal as Slade ...... but was consistently excused on the Fishy, match after match after match, on the basis that he needed time and “saved” us from relegation when in fact the side played just as badly but managed to conjure a couple of results at the right time.

I reckon those 3 appointments may have said more about fickle Fishy opinion than the managers.
Posted by: golfer, January 21, 2020, 11:20am; Reply: 18
A manager could only be as shite as him if he did it on purpose so he would get sacked - with his pay off payments he earns more being a failure
Posted by: gtfc_akpa_akpro, January 21, 2020, 11:41am; Reply: 19
I know him from old when he lived in Marshchapel
On his first tenure at the club he always did his best but I think like Paul hurst later he thought he had taken Town as far as he could and was offered a better deal by others so he took that which many of us would have done almost doubling his salary . So possibly it is time for him to retire now but he is a true football man so I wish him all the best in his retirement

I’m sure you knew him well.... he lived in Grainthorpe
Posted by: grimps, January 21, 2020, 12:33pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from pizzzza

He must have about 20 years of paid up contracts for 3 years work to retire on then
Posted by: pizzzza, January 21, 2020, 12:51pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from grimps

He must have about 20 years of paid up contracts for 3 years work to retire on then

Indeed, one might describe it as stealing a living.
Posted by: LondonMariner43, January 21, 2020, 1:02pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from gtfc_akpa_akpro

I’m sure you knew him well.... he lived in Grainthorpe

Grainthorpe and Marshchapel are hardly a million miles away from each other!

Posted by: sam gy, January 21, 2020, 1:51pm; Reply: 23
He was no mug as far as football was concerned and like other managers, if he could get some decent players, he could get results.

That was as big a factor as any as to why Slade Mk II didn't work.

In his first spell we had been in the second tier the season before last, and had been there for year. We were a big club for the level and a much easier sell to players.

Second time round we were in our first season back as a league club after 7 seasons, and on our 3rd manager of our first season back. Bignot had blown a load of cash and every player we were legitimately linked to, we weren’t able to entice..(Tyler Walker on loan, Nicky Maynard, Eoin Doyle).
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, January 21, 2020, 1:59pm; Reply: 24
Gave some truly terrifying post match interviews towards the end, like a deer caught in the headlights, it was clear to see he had no idea what was happening or how to fix it. Yeovil away sticks out
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 21, 2020, 4:06pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
Gave some truly terrifying post match interviews towards the end, like a deer caught in the headlights, it was clear to see he had no idea what was happening or how to fix it. Yeovil away sticks out

There's a difference between knowing what's wrong and what needs doing and talking about bad games and results to the media. It is fair to say Slade was absolutely terrible with the media at times but that does not mean he didn't know what was happening or how to fix it, simply that for whatever reason, he couldn't.

A bloke who has been a professional manager all those years can work out what's wrong but that's only half the problem. Buckley Mk3 could work out what was wrong when he was there and he'd been out of the game altogether ......  he didn't have the resources and contacts to fix it but that doesn't make him a bad manager to be vilified because his last spell ended in a failure. Neither should Slade.

Posted by: Abdul19, January 21, 2020, 4:37pm; Reply: 26
Slades' approach to fixing things appeared to be signing more loan players than he could actually play!
Posted by: rancido, January 21, 2020, 5:06pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from LondonMariner43

Grainthorpe and Marshchapel are hardly a million miles away from each other!

Like Grimsby and Cleethorpes perhaps!
Posted by: moosey_club, January 21, 2020, 5:58pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

Yes...cringeworthy.
Posted by: Rik e B, January 21, 2020, 6:02pm; Reply: 29
Buckley MkIII doesn't seem so bad considering some of the stuff that's gone on since Raf!
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 21, 2020, 6:08pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from Rik e B
Buckley MkIII doesn't seem so bad considering some of the stuff that's gone on since Raf!

;D ;D

True enough Rik.

Posted by: always grimsby, January 21, 2020, 8:36pm; Reply: 31
Yes and he used the boozer in Marshchapel
Posted by: psgmariner, January 21, 2020, 9:06pm; Reply: 32
And the bookies in Louth allegedly.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 21, 2020, 9:27pm; Reply: 33
Josh Gowling has been appointed caretaker manager...
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, January 21, 2020, 10:13pm; Reply: 34
Yes and he used the boozer in Marshchapel

What a crime ffs .
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, January 21, 2020, 10:13pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from psgmariner
And the bookies in Louth allegedly.

What a crime ffs
Posted by: mimma, January 22, 2020, 1:24am; Reply: 36
Slades "success" in his first spell with us, was down to Michael Reddy. He scored some brilliant individual goals on the break. When he was out injured we couldn't score. Our only tactic was to have everybody back and hit it in the channel for Reddy to chase down with his exceptional pace.
Posted by: crusty ole pie, January 22, 2020, 7:14am; Reply: 37
Quoted from mimma
Slades "success" in his first spell with us, was down to Michael Reddy. He scored some brilliant individual goals on the break. When he was out injured we couldn't score. Our only tactic was to have everybody back and hit it in the channel for Reddy to chase down with his exceptional pace.

Agreed Reddy was the only bright spot within a very dull team on his return and with the benefit of managing reasonably successfully in higher leagues I was hoping he had learnt a plan b  which quickly became apparent he hadn’t.
Posted by: Rik e B, January 22, 2020, 7:17am; Reply: 38
Lumpaldinho? Sarge?
Posted by: Maringer, January 22, 2020, 7:22am; Reply: 39
Erm, Gary Jones? Rob Jones, Bolland, Whittle, Parkinson (on his day), Cohen etc. We signed some good players and, amidst the long ball stuff played some intelligent football at times. Don't let your dislike for Slade ignore the fact that we were a decent team under him. The biggest issue was that the signings he made at Christmas when we were top of the table that second season were flops (Junior Mendes, I'm looking at you especially). Came with a decent enough reputation but didn't do it for us.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, January 22, 2020, 7:41am; Reply: 40
Football moved on slade didn’t & I always thought he lived in laceby considering the amount of time he spent in the bookies there. Must of plenty of money considering all those pay offs but he loved a punt so maybe not  
Posted by: AussieMariner, January 22, 2020, 7:47am; Reply: 41
Quoted from dapperz fun pub
Football moved on slade didn’t & I always thought he lived in laceby considering the amount of time he spent in the bookies there. Must of plenty of money considering all those pay offs but he loved a punt so maybe not  

Maybe Slade’s ‘existing commitments’ referred to by the Hereford chairman involve a local bookie?
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 22, 2020, 7:58am; Reply: 42
Non football

(Well it was when he was at town)
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), January 22, 2020, 12:02pm; Reply: 43
Did he ever win promotion with a club?
Posted by: 140067 (Guest), January 22, 2020, 12:05pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from Maringer
Erm, Gary Jones? Rob Jones, Bolland, Whittle, Parkinson (on his day), Cohen etc. We signed some good players and, amidst the long ball stuff played some intelligent football at times. Don't let your dislike for Slade ignore the fact that we were a decent team under him. The biggest issue was that the signings he made at Christmas when we were top of the table that second season were flops (Junior Mendes, I'm looking at you especially). Came with a decent enough reputation but didn't do it for us.

I always came away from a game wondering how we'd won.
Posted by: toontown, January 22, 2020, 12:56pm; Reply: 45

That doesn’t mean Slade didn’t make mistakes but his con merchant successor was allowed to make lots of those for months, play even worse football and be just as poor at buying a goal as Slade ...... but was consistently excused on the Fishy, match after match after match, on the basis that he needed time and “saved” us from relegation when in fact the side played just as badly but managed to conjure a couple of results at the right time.

I reckon those 3 appointments may have said more about fickle Fishy opinion than the managers.

Jolley was exposed when he had time to overcomplicate matters, his failure to get balance in a squad and deal with pressure. BUT his turnaround of that relegation threatened side was deserved. Off the top of my head he identified that Berrett was a major weak link fairly quickly and replaced him with a young clifton who slade never started. I recall clifyons first match and being interviewed afterwards saying his intention had been to effect the game. It was as if he had spent all season watching berret showing him how not to do it (and probs had). All berrett wanted to do was not get caught out of position and never take a risk with a pass. So immediately we had more energy and positivity in the middle and created morr pressire on opponents (not chances necessarily just pressure).
He also quickly spotted Rose had a better long throw than that CB that slade had doing them, not being able to know who has the best throw in your squad is criminal incompetence in a manager. Slade had him doing them cos he had done them at the last team he managed, so lazy. He also signed a player (kelly) who he had previously managed so knew , who was as unsuitable to be a professional footballer as I have seen. And in fact in less than a year he wasn't. Slade played him on occasion too. Just pure lazy recruitment.
Did jolley put rose on spot kicks too? I think slade had hooper on them. If so then how can you be a manager and not look into who is best at penaltys in your squad or incapable of identifying who it is if you do.
Didn't jolley change the formation too?
Jolley was out of his depth but was a marked improvement on slade, he was that bad, and that's how we avoided relegation.
Posted by: Abdul19, January 22, 2020, 1:13pm; Reply: 46
Aye, Notts County under MJ was much better than the stuff Slades' team had been offering up at the end (Karleigh Osborne at Crawley was Vance Warner-esque)
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 22, 2020, 1:30pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from toontown

Jolley was exposed when he had time to overcomplicate matters, his failure to get balance in a squad and deal with pressure. BUT his turnaround of that relegation threatened side was deserved. Off the top of my head he identified that Berrett was a major weak link fairly quickly and replaced him with a young clifton who slade never started. I recall clifyons first match and being interviewed afterwards saying his intention had been to effect the game. It was as if he had spent all season watching berret showing him how not to do it (and probs had). All berrett wanted to do was not get caught out of position and never take a risk with a pass. So immediately we had more energy and positivity in the middle and created morr pressire on opponents (not chances necessarily just pressure).
He also quickly spotted Rose had a better long throw than that CB that slade had doing them, not being able to know who has the best throw in your squad is criminal incompetence in a manager. Slade had him doing them cos he had done them at the last team he managed, so lazy. He also signed a player (kelly) who he had previously managed so knew , who was as unsuitable to be a professional footballer as I have seen. And in fact in less than a year he wasn't. Slade played him on occasion too. Just pure lazy recruitment.
Did jolley put rose on spot kicks too? I think slade had hooper on them. If so then how can you be a manager and not look into who is best at penaltys in your squad or incapable of identifying who it is if you do.
Didn't jolley change the formation too?
Jolley was out of his depth but was a marked improvement on slade, he was that bad, and that's how we avoided relegation.

I think MJ was good at working with what he inherited but came unstuck once there was pressure to make use of resources and improve things. Don't get me wrong, he signed some good players in Hendrie, Öhman, Hessenthaler but our squad was never balanced.

It also seems no coincidence that his last (and only) 2 management jobs have ended due to his dislike of the budget at his disposal.
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 10:06am