Gold Stars: 30
Wow!
What an interviewee! 😁
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p07zjjp0
Logged Offline
Private Message
January 4, 2020, 7:40pm
Guest User
My only concern is that we have hit some good form and he suggested we are miles away from what he expects.
Reply: 1 - 23
The Yard Dog
January 4, 2020, 7:40pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,469
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from Badger57
Wow!
What an interviewee! 😁
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p07zjjp0

The only problem was I had to listen to Hurst first, what a constant.
How things change in a space of a few days, Al was doing a good job, we just needed that bit of luck, which can came in the Salford game.

Now is the time for everyone to unite, the board have gone out and got a manager who I thought was out of our league.
To all you stay away fans,  now is the time to re-enter BP.

Ian might have had a rollercaster ride at Blackpool, with the big one and the lights, but nothing can compare to ride he will get at GTFC.

Lets set the rollercaster going, with a white witch and a metal detector we might just find the golden era again

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 23
grimsby pete
January 5, 2020, 1:47pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from 28195
My only concern is that we have hit some good form and he suggested we are miles away from what he expects.

Yes but think if Ollie can get them to play like that after one training session what will he achieve after a few weeks  

Our players are better than Jolley allowed them to be with his constant changes.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 23
Marinerz93
January 5, 2020, 2:07pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Hopefully some of those players who want to join us are realistic with their wage demands and will make us better.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 23
MarshMariner
January 5, 2020, 2:08pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +471
Gold Stars: 2
I think confidence is a big part of this...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 23
HertsGTFC
January 5, 2020, 2:49pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,874
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from 28195

Results wise definitely much better but still a massive work in progress though the squad is limited it does have potential

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 23
Stew0_0
January 5, 2020, 3:55pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,207
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from 28195

I would be the opposite of concerned with that comment. To me i read that as we was good but there is far more to come whether that being with the current crop or new recruits.

We can be far better on the attacking front anyway and we seem water tight at the back so expect all new signings to effect us in the front third.

Nice to be experiencing victories, endeavour and togetherness though.

Utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 23
jock dock tower
January 5, 2020, 4:22pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Quoted from Marinerz93
Hopefully some of those players who want to join us are realistic with their wage demands and will make us better.

If players are looking to join us, a team nearr the bottom than the top of the 4th level of English football it's because of the manager, not their wage demands. I imagine a good few of them will be players of the "almost made it but didn't" or of the "one last chance stab at glory" type. I think it's wholly refreshing for us to now be in this position, and what a difference a week makes.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 23
Mayaman
January 5, 2020, 4:29pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.91
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,392
Gold Stars: 73
The only thing we lacked yesterday was a bit of confidence in front of goal.  A lot of the lads are looking for the perfect shot.  They should have a pop sooner.  Only one who had a go was Vernam.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 23
Teesknees
January 5, 2020, 4:48pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,596
Gold Stars: 18
Ian Holloway on his way to work....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrJHzpaxMOQ
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 23
MuddyWaters
January 5, 2020, 4:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,205
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Mayaman
The only thing we lacked yesterday was a bit of confidence in front of goal.  A lot of the lads are looking for the perfect shot.  They should have a pop sooner.  Only one who had a go was Vernam.

And interesting that Ollie mentioned that in his interview. There's been some talk that Jolley wanted them to play very systematically - I'd suggest that Ollie will get them playing much more instinctively.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 23
forza ivano
January 5, 2020, 5:10pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,126
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from MuddyWaters

And interesting that Ollie mentioned that in his interview. There's been some talk that Jolley wanted them to play very systematically - I'd suggest that Ollie will get them playing much more instinctively.

Judging from the article in the Plymouth paper which someone linked a couple of days ago I think you may be right. He seems very keen on players taking a chance i.e. Instead of Hess n Clifton hanging back and being behind the ball He wants them to take a chance and go beyond the ball.
Did hear the first arrivals might be a couple of attacking players this week. I could imagine them being players he has worked with before, after all why take a chance on someone you don't know when you have 'old favourites wanting to ok play for you?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 23
Meza
January 5, 2020, 7:21pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,631
Gold Stars: 50
I hope Jordan Mutch is one of them, would be an amazing signing for this level.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 23
jamesgtfc
January 5, 2020, 9:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,939
Gold Stars: 190
Listen to his podcasts. Before the Blackpool job he took time out of the game, went and watched how foreign teams trained including Madrid/Barca (not sure which). He determined that his method was quite defensive and decided to shape himself as an attacking coach.

Our defence may appear solid but with risks come reward and consequences. The key is to ensure rewards outweigh the consequences and I expect as we get into full flow under him, we may become a little bit exposed at the back.

Set pieces are so important and being successful at them can make a huge difference to the final league position. I expect him to have us well drilled at corners, free kicks and throw ins.

Fitness is key at this level and if midfielders are going to bomb forward, athletes like Hess and Clifton are very much required.

The one position he needs to address as a matter of urgency is left back and I would expect someone to come in this week.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 23
moosey_club
January 5, 2020, 9:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,184
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from Marinerz93

i cant imagine too many of their agents have rung up to say they are sh!t but want a £100k  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 23
Marinerz93
January 5, 2020, 10:09pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from moosey_club

i cant imagine too many of their agents have rung up to say they are sh!t but want a £100k  

Cheeky   but nonetheless you are right it is often those peskie agents who try and drive the price up so their cut is bigger.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 23
Rik e B
January 5, 2020, 10:28pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Where to find his podcasts?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 23
ginnywings
January 5, 2020, 10:35pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,089
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Rik e B
Where to find his podcasts?

Here's some recent ones.

https://soundcloud.com/ianhollowaypodcast

They are not in the correct order on the page, so check the episode numbers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 23
Rik e B
January 5, 2020, 10:47pm

Whiskey Drinker
That didn't really work but I've found on castbox which I use for my podcasts, thanks though. There's one 'The Real Boss' chatting with wife Kim which I'm going to listen to first seeing as we all now family! And tbh I'm intrigued by the White Witch who sensed Grimsby the place to be and encouraged the whole shebang. We owe her a debt of gratitude! Plenty of time to kill in hospital bed too! 😅

"Ollie is joined by his wife, Kim, to discuss how they met, their life in and out of football, moving house 43 times and scouting trips to Hartlepool"

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 23
forza ivano
January 5, 2020, 10:58pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,126
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Listen to his podcasts. Before the Blackpool job he took time out of the game, went and watched how foreign teams trained including Madrid/Barca (not sure which). He determined that his method was quite defensive and decided to shape himself as an attacking coach.

Our defence may appear solid but with risks come reward and consequences. The key is to ensure rewards outweigh the consequences and I expect as we get into full flow under him, we may become a little bit exposed at the back.

Set pieces are so important and being successful at them can make a huge difference to the final league position. I expect him to have us well drilled at corners, free kicks and throw ins.

Fitness is key at this level and if midfielders are going to bomb forward, athletes like Hess and Clifton are very much required.

The one position he needs to address as a matter of urgency is left back and I would expect someone to come in this week.

You then have to compare that with his apparent negativity in his later managerial jobs.the fascinating thing will be to see how the 18 months out of the game has affected his thinking.my initial thought is that he will go more blackpool, especially as he seems Happy with our defensive structure, but is concerned with the lack of offensive capabilities. The fact that clifton and hess suddenly managed to get into the opposition's box yesterday  plus the rumour that 2 attacking players may be signing in the next few days supports that view

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 23
Rik e B
January 5, 2020, 11:03pm

Whiskey Drinker
And that he seems to know all about our club and history and anything he doesn't know he finds out... Therefore he'll know the 'Grimsby Way' is attractive attacking football and that that's what the fan's want.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 23
ginnywings
January 5, 2020, 11:06pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,089
Gold Stars: 548
Just checked the link i posted and it works for me. Strange!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 23
Rik e B
January 6, 2020, 12:16am

Whiskey Drinker
Just took me to my kinda homepage feed

Just listened to one and if there's any player's reading, don't ever be late, he despises it!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 23
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › "Tickety Tickety boo!"

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.