Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Badger57, January 4, 2020, 7:03pm
Wow!
What an interviewee! 😁
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p07zjjp0
Posted by: 28195 (Guest), January 4, 2020, 7:40pm; Reply: 1
My only concern is that we have hit some good form and he suggested we are miles away from what he expects.
Posted by: The Yard Dog, January 4, 2020, 7:40pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from Badger57
Wow!
What an interviewee! 😁
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p07zjjp0

The only problem was I had to listen to Hurst first, what a constant.
How things change in a space of a few days, Al was doing a good job, we just needed that bit of luck, which can came in the Salford game.

Now is the time for everyone to unite, the board have gone out and got a manager who I thought was out of our league.
To all you stay away fans,  now is the time to re-enter BP.

Ian might have had a rollercaster ride at Blackpool, with the big one and the lights, but nothing can compare to ride he will get at GTFC.

Lets set the rollercaster going, with a white witch and a metal detector we might just find the golden era again

UTM
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 5, 2020, 1:47pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from 28195
My only concern is that we have hit some good form and he suggested we are miles away from what he expects.

Yes but think if Ollie can get them to play like that after one training session what will he achieve after a few weeks  8)

Our players are better than Jolley allowed them to be with his constant changes.
Posted by: Marinerz93, January 5, 2020, 2:07pm; Reply: 4
Hopefully some of those players who want to join us are realistic with their wage demands and will make us better.
Posted by: MarshMariner, January 5, 2020, 2:08pm; Reply: 5
I think confidence is a big part of this... :)
Posted by: HertsGTFC, January 5, 2020, 2:49pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from 28195

Results wise definitely much better but still a massive work in progress though the squad is limited it does have potential
Posted by: Stew0_0, January 5, 2020, 3:55pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from 28195

I would be the opposite of concerned with that comment. To me i read that as we was good but there is far more to come whether that being with the current crop or new recruits.

We can be far better on the attacking front anyway and we seem water tight at the back so expect all new signings to effect us in the front third.

Nice to be experiencing victories, endeavour and togetherness though.

Utm
Posted by: jock dock tower, January 5, 2020, 4:22pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Marinerz93
Hopefully some of those players who want to join us are realistic with their wage demands and will make us better.

If players are looking to join us, a team nearr the bottom than the top of the 4th level of English football it's because of the manager, not their wage demands. I imagine a good few of them will be players of the "almost made it but didn't" or of the "one last chance stab at glory" type. I think it's wholly refreshing for us to now be in this position, and what a difference a week makes.

Posted by: Mayaman, January 5, 2020, 4:29pm; Reply: 9
The only thing we lacked yesterday was a bit of confidence in front of goal.  A lot of the lads are looking for the perfect shot.  They should have a pop sooner.  Only one who had a go was Vernam.
Posted by: Teesknees, January 5, 2020, 4:48pm; Reply: 10
Ian Holloway on his way to work....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrJHzpaxMOQ
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 5, 2020, 4:58pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Mayaman
The only thing we lacked yesterday was a bit of confidence in front of goal.  A lot of the lads are looking for the perfect shot.  They should have a pop sooner.  Only one who had a go was Vernam.

And interesting that Ollie mentioned that in his interview. There's been some talk that Jolley wanted them to play very systematically - I'd suggest that Ollie will get them playing much more instinctively.
Posted by: forza ivano, January 5, 2020, 5:10pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from MuddyWaters

And interesting that Ollie mentioned that in his interview. There's been some talk that Jolley wanted them to play very systematically - I'd suggest that Ollie will get them playing much more instinctively.

Judging from the article in the Plymouth paper which someone linked a couple of days ago I think you may be right. He seems very keen on players taking a chance i.e. Instead of Hess n Clifton hanging back and being behind the ball He wants them to take a chance and go beyond the ball.
Did hear the first arrivals might be a couple of attacking players this week. I could imagine them being players he has worked with before, after all why take a chance on someone you don't know when you have 'old favourites wanting to ok play for you?
Posted by: Meza, January 5, 2020, 7:21pm; Reply: 13
I hope Jordan Mutch is one of them, would be an amazing signing for this level.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, January 5, 2020, 9:33pm; Reply: 14
Listen to his podcasts. Before the Blackpool job he took time out of the game, went and watched how foreign teams trained including Madrid/Barca (not sure which). He determined that his method was quite defensive and decided to shape himself as an attacking coach.

Our defence may appear solid but with risks come reward and consequences. The key is to ensure rewards outweigh the consequences and I expect as we get into full flow under him, we may become a little bit exposed at the back.

Set pieces are so important and being successful at them can make a huge difference to the final league position. I expect him to have us well drilled at corners, free kicks and throw ins.

Fitness is key at this level and if midfielders are going to bomb forward, athletes like Hess and Clifton are very much required.

The one position he needs to address as a matter of urgency is left back and I would expect someone to come in this week.
Posted by: moosey_club, January 5, 2020, 9:54pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Marinerz93

i cant imagine too many of their agents have rung up to say they are sh!t but want a £100k   ;)
Posted by: Marinerz93, January 5, 2020, 10:09pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from moosey_club

i cant imagine too many of their agents have rung up to say they are sh!t but want a £100k   ;)

Cheeky  ;D but nonetheless you are right it is often those peskie agents who try and drive the price up so their cut is bigger.
Posted by: Rik e B, January 5, 2020, 10:28pm; Reply: 17
Where to find his podcasts?
Posted by: ginnywings, January 5, 2020, 10:35pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Rik e B
Where to find his podcasts?

Here's some recent ones.

https://soundcloud.com/ianhollowaypodcast

They are not in the correct order on the page, so check the episode numbers.
Posted by: Rik e B, January 5, 2020, 10:47pm; Reply: 19
That didn't really work but I've found on castbox which I use for my podcasts, thanks though. There's one 'The Real Boss' chatting with wife Kim which I'm going to listen to first seeing as we all now family! And tbh I'm intrigued by the White Witch who sensed Grimsby the place to be and encouraged the whole shebang. We owe her a debt of gratitude! Plenty of time to kill in hospital bed too! 😅

"Ollie is joined by his wife, Kim, to discuss how they met, their life in and out of football, moving house 43 times and scouting trips to Hartlepool"

Posted by: forza ivano, January 5, 2020, 10:58pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Listen to his podcasts. Before the Blackpool job he took time out of the game, went and watched how foreign teams trained including Madrid/Barca (not sure which). He determined that his method was quite defensive and decided to shape himself as an attacking coach.

Our defence may appear solid but with risks come reward and consequences. The key is to ensure rewards outweigh the consequences and I expect as we get into full flow under him, we may become a little bit exposed at the back.

Set pieces are so important and being successful at them can make a huge difference to the final league position. I expect him to have us well drilled at corners, free kicks and throw ins.

Fitness is key at this level and if midfielders are going to bomb forward, athletes like Hess and Clifton are very much required.

The one position he needs to address as a matter of urgency is left back and I would expect someone to come in this week.

You then have to compare that with his apparent negativity in his later managerial jobs.the fascinating thing will be to see how the 18 months out of the game has affected his thinking.my initial thought is that he will go more blackpool, especially as he seems Happy with our defensive structure, but is concerned with the lack of offensive capabilities. The fact that clifton and hess suddenly managed to get into the opposition's box yesterday  plus the rumour that 2 attacking players may be signing in the next few days supports that view

Posted by: Rik e B, January 5, 2020, 11:03pm; Reply: 21
And that he seems to know all about our club and history and anything he doesn't know he finds out... Therefore he'll know the 'Grimsby Way' is attractive attacking football and that that's what the fan's want.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 5, 2020, 11:06pm; Reply: 22
Just checked the link i posted and it works for me. Strange!  :-/
Posted by: Rik e B, January 6, 2020, 12:16am; Reply: 23
Just took me to my kinda homepage feed (Confused)

Just listened to one and if there's any player's reading, don't ever be late, he despises it!
Print page generated: April 26, 2024, 6:40pm