Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Was Rusell Slade II worse than Mike Newell?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 99 Guests

Was Rusell Slade II worse than Mike Newell?

This thread currently has 5,002 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Kris2
October 13, 2019, 6:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,617
Gold Stars: 135
Both left us in a relegation fight but who made the worst signings and left the worst impression on you overall? The more I think about it the more I feel going to games when Slade was in charge the second time was more frustrating than Newell. Maybe that's just recency bias though.
Private Message
Malta_Mariner_90
October 13, 2019, 6:27pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +796
Interesting question. IMO I would say Slade mark II as well.

Newell was a disaster but he came in on the back of poor seasons after 05/06 with the club in a huge decline.

Slade mark II took over with us in mid table in L2 looking half decent. With some sensible additions we could have kicked on. So he goes and signs Dixon and Clarke...and many other of that ilk.

Was also bonkers how after every game no matter how shocking we were he always claimed we played well!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 34
MuddyWaters
October 13, 2019, 6:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +46 / -25
Approval: +31,785
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from Malta_Mariner_90
Interesting question. IMO I would say Slade mark II as well.

Newell was a disaster but he came in on the back of poor seasons after 05/06 with the club in a huge decline.

Slade mark II took over with us in mid table in L2 looking half decent. With some sensible additions we could have kicked on. So he goes and signs Dixon and Clarke...and many other of that ilk.

Was also bonkers how after every game no matter how shocking we were he always claimed we played well!  

It's hard to equate really. Slade Mk2 seemed hell-bent on culling the Bignot signings as his first priority and I'm drawn to the conclusion that this was driven by the board who must have approved said signings in the first place.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 34
louth_in_the_south
October 13, 2019, 6:45pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +22 / -12
Approval: +5,529
Gold Stars: 94
Who cares ?

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 34
golfer
October 13, 2019, 6:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.31
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,358
Gold Stars: 111
I can't blame Newell m'lord 'cos' he had a poor childhood 'cos' he was picked on by smaller boys at school.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 34
Cambs Mariner
October 13, 2019, 7:23pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +1,233
Quoted from golfer
I can't blame Newell m'lord 'cos' he had a poor childhood 'cos' he was picked on by smaller boys at school.

I agree. Jack Daniels, Johnie Walker and Carl Sberg gave  him a hard time. Don't forget that female dog Stella Artois .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 34
chaos33
October 13, 2019, 7:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,751
Gold Stars: 348
Who wants to contemplate that sh1t?!
It’d was bad enough enduring it. No desire to relive it thanks.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 34
Northbank Mariner
October 13, 2019, 7:38pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,380
Gold Stars: 170
I'm with chaos....why dig up the dark, dark days of our club, let sleeping digs lie and look forward, not backwards.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 34
Mrs Doyle
October 13, 2019, 8:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
I'm with chaos....why dig up the dark, dark days of our club, let sleeping digs lie and look forward, not backwards.  
ick

Better not mention Mick (I can play do everything) Lyons then lol
Oops!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 34
Kris2
October 13, 2019, 8:37pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,617
Gold Stars: 135
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

So we are only allowed to bring up the good,old days once a week then and never discuss the bad seasons?  

There's already another long thread of people remembering the good times. Nobody around here is looking forwards lol. I suppose "remember when we were good?" is better than "remember when we were excrement?". It was just a discussion topic, I figured I'd attempt something different than "New stadium back on/off", "Some local team is doing better than us, bet it won't last because *insert reason*  " or "remember that time in the 70's when we won that one game?" along with the old favourites "We won! We're on for promotion and have the best team in the league!"  "We lost! We're doomed unless the manager is sacked now and we buy 10 new players including a 20 goal a season striker and a creative winger"
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 34
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Was Rusell Slade II worse than Mike Newell?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.