Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Kris2, October 13, 2019, 6:23pm
Both left us in a relegation fight but who made the worst signings and left the worst impression on you overall? The more I think about it the more I feel going to games when Slade was in charge the second time was more frustrating than Newell. Maybe that's just recency bias though.
Posted by: Malta_Mariner_90, October 13, 2019, 6:27pm; Reply: 1
Interesting question. IMO I would say Slade mark II as well.

Newell was a disaster but he came in on the back of poor seasons after 05/06 with the club in a huge decline.

Slade mark II took over with us in mid table in L2 looking half decent. With some sensible additions we could have kicked on. So he goes and signs Dixon and Clarke...and many other of that ilk.

Was also bonkers how after every game no matter how shocking we were he always claimed we played well!  
Posted by: MuddyWaters, October 13, 2019, 6:43pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from Malta_Mariner_90
Interesting question. IMO I would say Slade mark II as well.

Newell was a disaster but he came in on the back of poor seasons after 05/06 with the club in a huge decline.

Slade mark II took over with us in mid table in L2 looking half decent. With some sensible additions we could have kicked on. So he goes and signs Dixon and Clarke...and many other of that ilk.

Was also bonkers how after every game no matter how shocking we were he always claimed we played well!  

It's hard to equate really. Slade Mk2 seemed hell-bent on culling the Bignot signings as his first priority and I'm drawn to the conclusion that this was driven by the board who must have approved said signings in the first place.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, October 13, 2019, 6:45pm; Reply: 3
Who cares ?
Posted by: golfer, October 13, 2019, 6:55pm; Reply: 4
I can't blame Newell m'lord 'cos' he had a poor childhood 'cos' he was picked on by smaller boys at school.
Posted by: Cambs Mariner, October 13, 2019, 7:23pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from golfer
I can't blame Newell m'lord 'cos' he had a poor childhood 'cos' he was picked on by smaller boys at school.

I agree. Jack Daniels, Johnie Walker and Carl Sberg gave  him a hard time. Don't forget that female dog Stella Artois .
Posted by: chaos33, October 13, 2019, 7:33pm; Reply: 6
Who wants to contemplate that sh1t?!
It’d was bad enough enduring it. No desire to relive it thanks.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, October 13, 2019, 7:38pm; Reply: 7
I'm with chaos....why dig up the dark, dark days of our club, let sleeping digs lie and look forward, not backwards.  
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, October 13, 2019, 8:01pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
I'm with chaos....why dig up the dark, dark days of our club, let sleeping digs lie and look forward, not backwards.  
ick

Better not mention Mick (I can play do everything) Lyons then lol
Oops!
Posted by: Kris2, October 13, 2019, 8:37pm; Reply: 9

So we are only allowed to bring up the good,old days once a week then and never discuss the bad seasons?  ;D

There's already another long thread of people remembering the good times. Nobody around here is looking forwards lol. I suppose "remember when we were good?" is better than "remember when we were excrement?". It was just a discussion topic, I figured I'd attempt something different than "New stadium back on/off", "Some local team is doing better than us, bet it won't last because *insert reason*  ;)" or "remember that time in the 70's when we won that one game?" along with the old favourites "We won! We're on for promotion and have the best team in the league!"  "We lost! We're doomed unless the manager is sacked now and we buy 10 new players including a 20 goal a season striker and a creative winger"
Posted by: Ipswin, October 13, 2019, 8:41pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Kris2

So we are only allowed to bring up the good,old days once a week then and never discuss the bad seasons?  ;D

There's already another long thread of people remembering the good times. Nobody around here is looking forwards lol. I suppose "remember when we were good?" is better than "remember when we were excrement?". It was just a discussion topic, I figured I'd attempt something different than "New stadium back on/off", "Some local team is doing better than us, bet it won't last because *insert reason*  ;)" or "remember that time in the 70's when we won that one game?" along with the old favourites "We won! We're on for promotion and have the best team in the league!"  "We lost! We're doomed unless the manager is sacked now and we buy 10 new players including a 20 goal a season striker and a creative winger"

FFS give it a rest, are you that desperate to post something.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, October 13, 2019, 8:55pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Kris2

Give it up, all were saying is why start a negative thread??...however you look at it nobody needs reminded of the sh!te we have had to suffer...
This is an open forum to discuss football related issues, but right now, with the way the last 3 games have gone a little bit of an optimistic thread would be better received ..
Posted by: golfer, October 13, 2019, 10:59pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from chaos33
Who wants to contemplate that sh1t?!
It’d was bad enough enduring it. No desire to relive it thanks.

But if you think of them it makes Jolly jolly jolly
Posted by: Kris2, October 14, 2019, 1:27am; Reply: 13
Quoted from Ipswin

FFS give it a rest, are you that desperate to post something.

That's kind of funny coming from you  ;D
Posted by: Kris2, October 14, 2019, 1:31am; Reply: 14

Give it up, all were saying is why start a negative thread??...however you look at it nobody needs reminded of the sh!te we have had to suffer...
This is an open forum to discuss football related issues, but right now, with the way the last 3 games have gone a little bit of an optimistic thread would be better received ..

Apparently it's not very open at all. If you're not part of the clique of old fogeys,their kids and the away day crowd then you don't get to post basically. I'm being shouted down by same old faces for daring to post a topic. This forum is just a circle jerk for you all to enjoy where you can't go off script.
Posted by: GollyGTFC, October 14, 2019, 7:43am; Reply: 15
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Who cares ?

This!

Let’s worry about the guy in charge now who’s had 19 months but still can’t string 2 acceptable performances together.

A guy who complained all last season that we were doing well enough, but finally admitted at the start of the season that we underachieved.

To me the next 3 games are crucial. And sadly I have no faith we’ll get the points we need (7 IMO) based on recent dropped points.
Posted by: kamakazebear, October 14, 2019, 10:16am; Reply: 16
Why do people feel the need to comment on threads they don't care about, it's an open forum, people can post what they want and if you don't care, don't reply. Simple.

I'd definitely say Newell, we had awful, awful players who really couldn't care less. Jolley at least came in and managed to get something out of the players towards the end of the season.
Posted by: Garth, October 14, 2019, 10:33am; Reply: 17
Its a results base decision, should MJ take us back to non league then he will be up there with Slade and Newell
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 14, 2019, 10:44am; Reply: 18
Quoted from Garth
Its a results base decision, should MJ take us back to non league then he will be up there with Slade and Newell

If he takes us up, who will he be up there with? Buckley? Kerr? Newman? McMenemy?
Posted by: Ipswin, October 14, 2019, 11:06am; Reply: 19
Quoted from Kris2

That's kind of funny coming from you  ;D

I think you will find I have only opened two or three threads in over a year unlike yourself

Posted by: Abdul19, October 14, 2019, 11:51am; Reply: 20
Quoted from Garth

Well he'd be 'up' there with Neil Woods, if that actually happened.
Posted by: grimsby pete, October 14, 2019, 12:08pm; Reply: 21
Slade had over 30 mostly sober and some fairly good players to choose from.

Newell had over 30 drunks and only a few sober players to choose from.

So I can not choose between them they were both rubbish.

I would like to add Jolley has only 22 players to choose from and plays a lot of them out of position some forced but some his choice.

The said two could not turn things round but I think Jolley will even though he will fall short of we are going foe it this season,

Final place this season of 12th will still be a improvement though.

Enjoy the ups and forget the downs as we will have a few more of both before the season ends.
Posted by: NorthLondonMariner, October 14, 2019, 2:20pm; Reply: 22
Mike Newell and his squad of lady gardens are the worst town manager and team in my living history, full stop.
Posted by: marinerdazza, October 14, 2019, 3:45pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from NorthLondonMariner
Mike Newell and his squad of lady gardens are the worst town manager and team in my living history, full stop.

Difficult to argue with any of this, so I won't.
Posted by: Gaffer58, October 14, 2019, 4:32pm; Reply: 24
I think it's important to remember the crap we've had in the past, if you only remember the good times you will never know what crap is.
Posted by: toontown, October 14, 2019, 4:36pm; Reply: 25
Gotta be Newell, the slate squad put in more effort and turned it around under a decent manager
Posted by: diehardmariner, October 14, 2019, 4:42pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from toontown
Gotta be Newell, the slate squad put in more effort and turned it around under a decent manager

Agree with this.  

That Newell team was dramatically changed and improved mid-season, yet it still didn't have enough to stay up.  The Slade team from March only had the additions of Gary McSheffrey for a few weeks and Andrew Dixon, managed to stay up with a game to spare.  

If Newell or Slade had remained in charge in those respective season, we would have gone down regardless.  But the legacy that Newell left, remembering it was relatively early in the 09/10 season, was one we didn't really recover from until May 2016.  Can only speculate how we would have responded to a relegation in 2018, doesn't bare thinking about.
Posted by: White_shorts, October 17, 2019, 6:58pm; Reply: 27
I wonder if Slade had his tie tugged by Mr Fenty.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, October 17, 2019, 8:02pm; Reply: 28
The worst manager for results was probably Neil Woods but was he completely at fault? The worst manager I have ever seen, including these and Bobby Roberts and Bobby Kennedy and a few others, is still Mike Lyons. He took a successful skilful side and decimated it for no other reason than to prove a point with 3 at the back and an up-and-under.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, October 17, 2019, 8:18pm; Reply: 29
A car crash and a plane crash.  Not much in it as to which manager is which.
Posted by: buckstown, October 17, 2019, 9:54pm; Reply: 30
This is like my favourite kids game, "would you rather".
Would you rather have Slade Mk 2 or Newell back at GTFC?
Would you rather clean your teeth with dog poo or drink a cup of cold sick?
They're both tough ones aren't they?
Posted by: Rik e B, October 19, 2019, 8:23am; Reply: 31
Ha ha my kids play that all the time 😂
Posted by: Rob_in_Grimsby, October 19, 2019, 9:57am; Reply: 32
MN last season with us was an embarrassment on and off the pitch, We had players who clearly was only here for a pay check and off field it was well known around the town some liked to have a few to drink manager included.

I think Slades last stint here should never have happened as he was always on a looser with 50% of the fans due to how he left the first time and his negative tack-ticks meant he was never going to win anyone over.

Oddly enough though we now have the same amount of points after 13 games as Slade did in  last season with us,  Lets hope the rest of this season is somewhat better than the run Slade had after Xmas
Posted by: Marinerz93, October 19, 2019, 8:39pm; Reply: 33
Depends on which qualities you are critiquing,

Slade II - you can say he acted professionally and seemed to care where as Neweel wasn't for reasons we all heard about from previous players .   (wine)
Posted by: Ipswin, October 20, 2019, 8:39am; Reply: 34
New angle on this Is Jolley any better than Slade II (record since taking over say not)
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 6:40pm