Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Ipswin

Really?

Maybe your definition of progress Swin is going backwards šŸ˜‰

I donā€™t think Iā€™m the only one though who thinks we are generally moving in a more positive direction

https://twitter.com/johntondeur/status/1183071058871685122?s=21
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 100 - 112
MuddyWaters
October 12, 2019, 7:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Rik e B
Buckley used to say instead of worrying about the opposition, play your best team and let them worry about you.

He did okay.

Couldnā€™t agree more. Quite exasperated when I heard MJ say heā€™d set up according to how he thought the bottom of the league team might set up. Sounded like Hurst.
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 112
denni266
October 12, 2019, 7:37pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -21
Approval: +696
Gold Stars: 132
Quoted from Rik e B
Buckley used to say instead of worrying about the opposition, play your best team and let them worry about you.

He did okay.

Jolly aint no Buckley  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 112
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
October 12, 2019, 7:50pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Maybe your definition of progress Swin is going backwards šŸ˜‰

I donā€™t think Iā€™m the only one though who thinks we are generally moving in a more positive direction

https://twitter.com/johntondeur/status/1183071058871685122?s=21

It is most definitely not positive to give so much respect to a side that had not won a game and had only scored 8 goals before today that you base your team selection and tactics on what THEY might do. Positive would be to select a side that is going to make them do the worrying.
Team selections and performances are incredibly inconsistent and for no obviously good reason than the manager's whims and fancies. I can only think he wants/needs to keep certain players happy.

ā€œIf all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.ā€
ā€• John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 112
FishOutOfWater
October 12, 2019, 8:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37

It is most definitely not positive to give so much respect to a side that had not won a game and had only scored 8 goals before today that you base your team selection and tactics on what THEY might do. Positive would be to select a side that is going to make them do the worrying.
Team selections and performances are incredibly inconsistent and for no obviously good reason than the manager's whims and fancies. I can only think he wants/needs to keep certain players happy.

You make some reasnoable points RRFC

I don't know what Jolley & Limbrick saw in their tactics and selection but can only assume they didn't put a team out today to deliberately lose

My initial response about progress wasn't about this game alone though, but on where Jolley started from with us and where we now find ourselves

I don't think losing the game today ( and/or losing last week either ) means, as per Swin's demands, that Jolley should be meeting JF to say that he's going to have to fall on his sword.  

Quoted from Ipswin

How about 'resign now', we are just not going forward under this man
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 104 - 112
chaos33
October 12, 2019, 8:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360

I agree although maybe not fully with your conclusion. I think itā€™s more managerial naivety or lack of confidence from experience.
I havenā€™t heard the post match interview but Iā€™d be interested to hear if he says he got it wrong.

I like Jolley a lot and I think heā€™s intelligent and articulate but Iā€™m not convinced he is learning some of his lessons. He seems much more adept at setting up to play a turnover/on the break system against a strong team than any other scenario and he messes with the team too much, for me, even though I agree with using your squad and ā€˜horses for coursesā€™. He is criminally short of natural width in the squad (one player) and thatā€™s an oversight in my view.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 112
MuddyWaters
October 12, 2019, 8:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,233
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from chaos33

I agree although maybe not fully with your conclusion. I think itā€™s more managerial naivety or lack of confidence from experience.
I havenā€™t heard the post match interview but Iā€™d be interested to hear if he says he got it wrong.

I like Jolley a lot and I think heā€™s intelligent and articulate but Iā€™m not convinced he is learning some of his lessons. He seems much more adept at setting up to play a turnover/on the break system against a strong team than any other scenario and he messes with the team too much, for me, even though I agree with using your squad and ā€˜horses for coursesā€™. He is criminally short of natural width in the squad (one player) and thatā€™s an oversight in my view.

Itā€™s now his squad and itsā€™ make up is in his hands. I truly believe that the squad is good enough for the play offs but he needs to field his best team and if that means leaving Hanson, Green and Whitehouse out then so be it.
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 112
golfer
October 12, 2019, 8:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,429
Gold Stars: 116
Looking at the highlights,  same old faults. For the first goal Whitehouse backing off until the forward got into a position where he could create a goal-fking amateurish. The second goal their winger trapped near the corner flag by 2 of ours. He kicks the ball through Davis' legs who doesn't realise the ball has gone and continues to hold the player against the corner flag-what an embarrassment.  This team and the coaches should be sent to Bradley pitches in the morning and hopefully learn to play football. Most of them are getting money under false pretences.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 112
chaos33
October 12, 2019, 8:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 360
Defending for their goals is really p1ss poor. Nowhere near enough effort/pressure on the ball at any time and the first goal especially - that cross does not come in! End of. Far too easy for them.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 112
Mrs Doyle
October 12, 2019, 9:17pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Talk about frustrating, we beat a top of the table side unbeaten all season via a inspired team selection.

Then lose TWO matches on the trot one to a bunch of cloggers and the second without a win all season by playing with no width or pace thus nulifying our midfield????

WTF I thought Jolley and Co were on the ball but they were out foxed thinking even a bottom of the table side would fold to a side with no width and no pace.

Our midfield is weak and as no cretivity because it has no width, Our attack is just the big boot up to Hanson hope he can musle out two/three defenders???

The frustating part in all this is WE HAVE THE PLAYERS IN THAT SQUAD THAT CAN HANDLE THIS AND HAVE DONE.

Is Jolley just giving certain players the chance to play through loyalty instead of form? it seems so it was obvious the system today was set up wrong again please have the courage to ring the changes.

We need to set up to attack teams and pressure opposition home and away we have proved we can beat the best respect but do not give opposition ammo to attack you ffs.

We have kick started two bottom feeders season Jolley, plaese  no more freebies at our expense.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 112
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Stevenage Match Thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.