4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
marinerdazza
September 28, 2019, 10:01pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,856
Gold Stars: 82
Can’t argue with the Liverpool comments, but surely the 86/87 Arsenal side are worth an honorary mention given they were the nucleus of the side that won the league in 89. I look back at that lineup and there were some awesome players that day.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 34
sydney
September 28, 2019, 10:14pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
Chelsea Wed
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 34
woodi147
September 28, 2019, 10:18pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +10 / -4
Approval: +29
Gold Stars: 1
I can remember reading The Shoot magazine  and it said estimated  20000 Grimsby fans in the eighties went to Anfield. I went on the Football special From Town station.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 34
KingstonMariner
September 28, 2019, 10:21pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from sydney
Chelsea Wed

Not their bitter rivals Chelsea Utd?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 34
promotion plaice
September 28, 2019, 10:26pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197
Quoted from woodi147
I can remember reading The Shoot magazine  and it said estimated  20000 Grimsby fans in the eighties went to Anfield. I went on the Football special From Town station.

I also went on that "Football Special".

When we got back into Cleethorpes, because the train was so long we had to walk through a few carriages to get to the platform and more than one of them had had a window smashed coming out of Liverpool, luckily not ours.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 34
headingly_mariner
September 29, 2019, 12:44pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
I think people are being fairly quick to dismiss the two Liverpool teams we faced in 97 and 2001.

The 97 team finished third, had 6 England internationals and a World Cup winner in the 11. Midfield including Ince, Redknapp and  McManamam. Michael Owen was the most exciting youngster in the world, Chelsea had some fabulous youngsters on show but it’s still unlikely they’ll be as good as him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 34
jock dock tower
September 29, 2019, 1:33pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Quoted from NorthseaMariner
I’m sure 15000 was quoted at the time.

We were one of the first coaches there, and they only had two turnstiles open at the Anfield Road end. I was talking to one of the police there and advised him there were huge numbers coming, but he said they'd been told about  two to three thousand only. There were approximately 20,000 there that day, you can check this by looking at the attendances Liverpool had at home that season. They surpassed 50,000 on only four occasions, versus Everton, Leeds, Man Utd and Spurs. Ours was their fifth highest attendance of the season. They played Bury, in what was basically a fairly local derby in the next round and there were 33,000 there. Assuming Bury took 5,000 it still leaves the Liverpool fans only attendance at about 28,000, and using that as the base of the game vs Grimsby you can see where the 20,000 plus fans figure comes from.

We were sat in the Kemlyn Road stand, which had a large Town contingent in it, and there were a good number of Town fans in the Kop who'd been directed there by the police. Of all the mind numbingly stupid decisions re police and football, that's got to be up there with the very worst. Some Town fans had knives pulled on them, and all the Town fans were evacuated at half time. Didn't end there though, the journey back to the coaches was pretty horrendous as they were all parked around Stanley Park and there were Evertonians involved as well looking to pick off folk as we'd beaten them in the League Cup that season. Got to love those scousers with their wonderful sense of humour, eh?

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 34
grimsby pete
September 29, 2019, 1:44pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,795
Gold Stars: 222
Agree with Jock above but later after standing on the pavement with a mad copper on motorbike zooming up and down yelling keep on the path which was impossible because of the vast numbers of our fans.

I took my life in my hands and wandered up the road and found 2 more turnstiles opened but they did not tell anybody so I wandered back side stepping the mad cop on his bike and told my wife and friends ,

We got through the turnstile leaving thousands still waiting to get through the first 2 turnstiles.

Maybe they did not want to get run over by that crazy cop.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 34
Caveman
September 29, 2019, 9:09pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +767
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from grimsby pete
We played West Ham  in the league cup 1965 and they had Hurst. Peters, Moore in their side,

We managed a 2-2 draw losing the replay 1-0.

Yes,  and I seem to remember we gave a debut to a 17 year
old wing-half that night on a rain-soaked Blundell Park.

Angus Davidson had a great match
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 34
pontoon442
September 29, 2019, 9:35pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / -3
Approval: -256
Gold Stars: 5
Liverpool in 1980 were a great team on there way to another title, Everton were a great team on there way to 2 titles and many finals & cups. But the current Chelsea side are just a youngish squad being rebuilt, remember they had changed all 11 players from Sundays game against Liverpool.
Also this Grimsby team is in its very early days no where near as good as the 1980 or 1984 teams which were just about the best since the old First division days.
So I don't think last week stands for much, just look at the amount of team changes going on these days at Chelsea and Town as everywhere else.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 34
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Best opposition we've faced

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.