barralad
September 28, 2019, 3:16pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from 140067
Liverpool in 1980 were good. I have to say comparisons with modern teams are difficult but I thought Chelsea looked better on Wednesday. Hudson-Odoi looked so good, his control and change of pace were breath taking.

Not a Liverpool fan by any means but they were exceptional that day in 1980. Kenny (Dogfish) Dalglish was brilliant. Such quick feet. Remember we had a far superior side then and the game came only a month after we'd taken Wolves to 3 games...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 34
Limerick Mariner
September 28, 2019, 3:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,693
Gold Stars: 136
Difficult to say because the game is so completely different. I think it has to be Liverpool 80 because they were the best team in the country and they played a full strength team against us. Having said that the current Chelsea team would probably beat that Liverpool team because sports science has moved on - fitness and athleticism are way ahead of 1980 and, perhaps more importantly, the interpretation of the laws has moved on. Bobby Cumming would get sent off most weeks now and probably the likes of Souness as well. Also the pitches - when we beat Everton at Goodison it was pissing down, the pitch wasn't a mud heap but it certainly cut up and was less than perfect - loads of divots. There were more levellers then, now the main (only?) leveller is the Premiership clubs not taking the cups seriously and playing kids. Chelsea didn't do that with the inevitable result.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 34
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 28, 2019, 3:20pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
You have to take account of the quality of the Town side as well. I know it is a long time ago but we played Leicester at home in the League Cup in 1964 with a good side including Tees, George McLean, Brian Clifton, Brian Hill ...... and they simply brushed us aside 5-0. This was basically the Town side that the next year nearly knocked West Ham out of the League Cup so we weren’t bad. They had some lad in goal called Banks if I remember right. Frank McLintock later of Arsenal just ran the game from midfield and they took us apart.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 34
grimps
September 28, 2019, 3:23pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,112
Gold Stars: 46
The Liverpool and Everton teams was the best teams in England at the time , Chelsea aren’t in the top 3 at the minute .
Saying that this current Chelsea team would probably beat them both if it was possible to have played in the same eras
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 34
grimsby pete
September 28, 2019, 4:01pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
We played West Ham  in the league cup 1965 and they had Hurst. Peters, Moore in their side,

We managed a 2-2 draw losing the replay 1-0.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 34
Rik e B
September 28, 2019, 4:22pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Since circa 95 when I started I'd definitely say this Chelsea side; the games improving all the time (athleticiscm wise at least) at the very top and the gulf between the big 6, the Premier League and everyone else getting bigger and bigger every year. I know we League Two and in times past we took on teams from the top division from the tier below but the skill and finesse on show was just other-worldly.

The top teams need to improve year on year to stay at the table and boy have they, their second teams would smash most. And of course the humongous rise in income catipulting higher at ridiculous rates year on year.

We were also a bit unfortunate Chelsea not won at home since January or whenever it was, Lampard put out a stronger than would be expected side to ensure no hiccups and correct that wrong.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 34
HertsGTFC
September 28, 2019, 4:45pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
I certainly didn’t like getting battered on Wednesday but the football fan in me enjoyed watching the quality of football Chelsea played.

But Liverpool 1980 for me.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 34
Withnail
September 28, 2019, 6:51pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,453
Gold Stars: 36
Interesting comments. I thought those who were at Anfield in 1980 would say Liverpool were the best team we've ever played - I wasn't there so couldn't comment - but wondered if hypothetically Chelsea's team on Wednesday was better? Yes Town are 4th tier now rather than 2nd tier, and Liverpool then, unlike Chelsea now, were the best side in the country, if not Europe, at the time.

But that said would Souness et al struggle with the athleticism of Chelsea's young guns and the finesse of the likes of Alonso and Pedro. We'll never know...

Any way...Bloody brilliant result tonight!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 34
TownSNAFU5
September 28, 2019, 8:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
The Liverpool and Everton teams were truly outstanding.  They both played very strong teams of well known players.  Everton only lost one game at home that season - to Town.  No wonder they bought Wilco.

Chelsea played some outstanding very young players.  The squad on Wed could have produced say 8 full England Internationals.  If you look back in 10 years time.  This excludes Loftus-Cheek, who was injured. They already runaway with the FA Youth Cup.

Hard to judge then.  All these 3 teams were or are, outstanding in their time.  It was good to have the opportunity to play against them and to see them at first-hand.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 34
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Best opposition we've faced

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.