4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
mimma
September 15, 2019, 10:36pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,544
Gold Stars: 78
According to this site, we are ranked the best ground for atmosphere in league two for last season. Wimps second despite their massive "loyal" support!

https://fanbanter.co.uk/every-league-two-club-ranked-by-visiting-fans-for-best-atmosphere/6/
Logged Online
Private Message
promotion plaice
September 15, 2019, 11:01pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 188
Quoted from mimma
According to this site, we are ranked the best ground for atmosphere in league two for last season. Wimps second despite their massive "loyal" support!

https://fanbanter.co.uk/every-league-two-club-ranked-by-visiting-fans-for-best-atmosphere/6/

If Wimps refers to Lincoln they were ranked third according to that.

Looks right to me though  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 36
MarinerDevil
September 16, 2019, 12:12am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,635
Surprised tbh.  BP at full chat is well deserving of 'classic ground' status, it's a shame that it doesn't reach those highs often enough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 36
KingstonMariner
September 16, 2019, 1:01am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
What are they rating? The home fans or the best place to be as an away fan?

(Can't see full article because of the adverts)

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 36
grimps
September 16, 2019, 5:38am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +4,993
Gold Stars: 46
I’ve always thought that we should have the Osmond stand as our home end , the acoustics are much better even if you can’t see the pitch  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 36
lukeo
September 16, 2019, 6:56am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,304
Gold Stars: 133
Quoted from grimps
I’ve always thought that we should have the Osmond stand as our home end , the acoustics are much better even if you can’t see the pitch  

Don't start this debate again! I've said before they should switch it around and chuck away fans in the pontoon but get shot down because its tradition
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 36
pizzzza
September 16, 2019, 7:01am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,657
Gold Stars: 135
Clickbait
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 36
GYinScuntland
September 16, 2019, 7:05am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,210
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from lukeo

Don't start this debate again! I've said before they should switch it around and chuck away fans in the pontoon but get shot down because its tradition

It caused outrage last time and was soon switched back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 36
Northbank Mariner
September 16, 2019, 7:40am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,391
Gold Stars: 170
I believe the idea of using the Osmond is to create atmosphere from the usual 35 travelling away fans...
Plus the seats are black n white in the pontoon, imagine the look on JSFs face at the cost of swapping out the red seats in the Osmond, he'd be at Wilko's buying tins of paint, poundstretcher for his brushes and doing Kate's every nights to paint the seats himself!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 36
bedders78
September 16, 2019, 8:49am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +817
Gold Stars: 12
As we're covering old ground, I'll say again that putting a side on the main stand end of the pontoon would improve the acoustics by reflecting the sound back towards the crowd and pitch

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 36
mimma
September 16, 2019, 10:28am
Brandy Drinker
The view from the back of the Osmond is poor because of the low roof and posts. Stay in the Pontoon.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 36
Hagrid
September 16, 2019, 10:57am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,989
Gold Stars: 507
our support at home is shite, its like a morgue, and if you disagree you're kidding yourself
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 36
mimma
September 16, 2019, 12:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Compared to FGR, Morecambe etc. the atmosphere at BP is good. There's not many grounds with 4,500 in, that can generate a better atmosphere. It does go flat if Town struggle though, but that will be the same anywhere. The officials get a hard time from the crowd when they are crap which can help.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 36
Abdul19
September 16, 2019, 1:48pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
Quoted from Hagrid
our support at home is shite, its like a morgue, and if you disagree you're kidding yourself

I'm not sure how you can argue with fanbanter, it doesn't get much more conclusive than that.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 36
WOZOFGRIMSBY
September 16, 2019, 6:29pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,759
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from bedders78
As we're covering old ground, I'll say again that putting a side on the main stand end of the pontoon would improve the acoustics by reflecting the sound back towards the crowd and pitch

And prime for advertising too!
Shame that some  people don't (want to) listen to  suggestions

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 36
White_shorts
September 16, 2019, 7:39pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -598
Gold Stars: 9
There would be a better atmosphere inside Blundell Park if there weren't three open corners. I think we are the only league club that doesn't have at least one side stand that covers the entire length of the pitch.

People sat high in the upper Findus are so far from the players that they are not inclined to provide vocal support. Any noise they do make goes over the Main Stand and out to the estuary.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 36
Gaffer58
September 16, 2019, 8:12pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,034
Gold Stars: 31
The way our fans are traveling at the moment I would argue that wherever we go that ground has the best atmosphere.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 36
White_shorts
November 1, 2019, 1:17pm
Lager Top Drinker
I think the club literally made a huge mistake in 1982 with the Findus Stand. There was no all-seater requirement at that time. They should have just built a fully-covered standing terrace.

If I was GTFC chairman with several million pounds in my bank account, I would dismantle most of the upper Findus and use the seats to extend the lower tier and Main Stand. The ground capacity would be the same, but there would be a much better atmosphere, especially at the Pontoon end.

I would also remove the windows from the corporate boxes, as people sat behind glass don't make any noise for the team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 36
blundellpork
November 1, 2019, 1:31pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,645
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from White_shorts
I think the club literally made a huge mistake in 1982 with the Findus Stand. There was no all-seater requirement at that time. They should have just built a fully-covered standing terrace.

At the time it was built they were considering rotating the pitch 90 degrees and buying up the houses behind the main stand. There is space below the stand for dressing rooms and it would have been the right size for an end. Ultimately this never happened.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 36
White_shorts
May 7, 2020, 4:14pm
Lager Top Drinker
You could argue it was a mistake to build a new stand at all at Blundell Park. Lots of people owned cars by 1982. The lack of parking spaces must have been an issue even then.

Did GTFC make any effort to acquire the land where Sainsbury's and Alexandra Retail Park were built? Could the Fishing Heritage Centre and Heritage House have been incorporated into a new stadium at Garth Lane?

It annoys me that the club seems to have had its head in the sand for decades with regard to relocation. We paid a big price in 1995 when BP was made all-seater. Ground capacity and atmosphere was lost.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 36
mimma
May 7, 2020, 6:40pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from White_shorts
You could argue it was a mistake to build a new stand at all at Blundell Park. Lots of people owned cars by 1982. The lack of parking spaces must have been an issue even then.

Did GTFC make any effort to acquire the land where Sainsbury's and Alexandra Retail Park were built? Could the Fishing Heritage Centre and Heritage House have been incorporated into a new stadium at Garth Lane?

It annoys me that the club seems to have had its head in the sand for decades with regard to relocation. We paid a big price in 1995 when BP was made all-seater. Ground capacity and atmosphere was lost.

Prime land in the centre of town. It would cost a fortune just to buy it.

There was a reluctance to build new stadiums in the centre of towns, hence they were built out of town. It probably wouldn't have been given planning permission back then.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 36
wigworld
May 7, 2020, 7:06pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,073
Gold Stars: 29
As has been discussed before, the Pontoon was paid for by supporters (in the '60's, I think?). For that reason alone, it should remain a home stand.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 21 - 36
KingstonMariner
May 7, 2020, 7:07pm
Meths Drinker
It was that way right in the early days of the club. When it was mooted that we move to land in the open space between Grimsby and Cleethorpes (to what became Blundell Park) one director proposed that we leased the adjacent land to develop a multi-sports club. The board decided not to and just lease sufficient space for the football ground. If they had leased all the land we’d have space now for a swanky big stadium.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 36
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
May 7, 2020, 7:14pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from White_shorts

There were a number of possibilities at the time that would have resolved the problems. The new stand was to be the offices and changing rooms etc. and a new stand built to replace the Main Stand. It was believed that there could be land available from the railway for car parking but this came to nothing as in any case the Ramsden era came to an end and the money dried up. The full reasons for that remain obscure, at least to me.

As to other possibilities, the first new ground proposal I heard of was when FA Would was still chairman in the mid 1960s and offered the club what was known as the Woolco site. This was on Cambridge Road where the Cambridge Park estate is now. Woolco was the wholesale arm of Woolworths and a warehousing unit was planned for the site which would also have had the new BP. The club was not keen, probably the distance from the town had something to do with it. Anyway the deal fell flat.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 36
Reverendmariner
May 7, 2020, 7:44pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +275
Quoted from grimps

Isn't the Osmond Stand still our home end in the second half of every game? I can't stand change....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 36
KingstonMariner
May 7, 2020, 8:12pm
Meths Drinker

There were a number of possibilities at the time that would have resolved the problems. The new stand was to be the offices and changing rooms etc. and a new stand built to replace the Main Stand. It was believed that there could be land available from the railway for car parking but this came to nothing as in any case the Ramsden era came to an end and the money dried up. The full reasons for that remain obscure, at least to me.

As to other possibilities, the first new ground proposal I heard of was when FA Would was still chairman in the mid 1960s and offered the club what was known as the Woolco site. This was on Cambridge Road where the Cambridge Park estate is now. Woolco was the wholesale arm of Woolworths and a warehousing unit was planned for the site which would also have had the new BP. The club was not keen, probably the distance from the town had something to do with it. Anyway the deal fell flat.

Never knew that RRFC. Thanks.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 36
The Yard Dog
May 7, 2020, 11:00pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,443
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from White_shorts

If I was GTFC chairman with several million pounds in my bank account, I would dismantle most of the upper Findus and use the seats to extend the lower tier and Main Stand. The ground capacity would be the same, but there would be a much better atmosphere, especially at the Pontoon end.

I would also remove the windows from the corporate boxes, as people sat behind glass don't make any noise for the team.

The Lower Findus was standing when it was built
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 36
White_shorts
December 23, 2020, 2:52pm
Lager Top Drinker
When I said acquire the land, I meant secure a deal to piggyback a stadium onto the retail element. I assume Sainsbury's paid for the site at Corporation Road.

I did a little bit of internet research. The supermarket opened in September 1988 and the Heritage Centre in 1991. Some might say the club was unfortunate to just miss out on a potential development partner after the all-seater ruling was made. I would argue GTFC should have had more foresight.

Tesco on Hewitt's Ave was under construction in 1990, the same year as the Taylor Report.

I don't know when Morrisons at Laceby Acres was built, but there is a huge field behind it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 36
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
December 23, 2020, 3:06pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from lukeo

It's not because it's tradition, it's because it's been done before and it was crap. Have you ever tried watching a game from the back of the Osmond?

And when you fall back into the mud it hurts a lot.
No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.
All that was really there was still more misery

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 36
White_shorts
February 10, 2021, 6:43pm
Lager Top Drinker

I imagine the club were not prepared to pay the asking price, or maybe the port authority did not want to allow vehicular access via Wickham Road.

Were the Ramsdens bankrolling the club? I wonder if we could have had another push for promotion to the top flight if we had kept Wilkinson and Drinkell.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 36
NorfolkImp
February 10, 2021, 9:21pm
Brandy Drinker
Rep Score: +10 / -10
Approval: -493
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from Hagrid

Spot on H, maybe when the Barratt Stand was still bursting or when the Stokies caused mischief, but very doubtful this decade?

Private Message
Reply: 30 - 36
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 10, 2021, 9:43pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,759
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from NorfolkImp

Spot on H, maybe when the Barratt Stand was still bursting or when the Stokies caused mischief, but very doubtful this decade?

When there’s sh1t on the pitch it’s hard for those in the stands to enjoy it

The problem is, the ground is hardly designed to be atmospheric, maybe the new board may be willing to spend a few quid to do something about this once ‘normality’ has been resumed.

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 36
GYinScuntland
February 11, 2021, 1:45am

Brandy Drinker
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,210
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

When there’s sh1t on the pitch it’s hard for those in the stands to enjoy it

The problem is, the ground is hardly designed to be atmospheric, maybe the new board may be willing to spend a few quid to do something about this once ‘normality’ has been resumed.

It was actually designed to be atmospheric and in it's day was up there with the best.
Pontoon, main and Barretts stands were bouncy and banging complimented by the three corner terraces. With a few away fans in the Osmond and put all that under floodlights, Bob's your uncle.
Anyone lucky enough to be bouncing in the stands with twelve to twenty thousand in the ground will never forget.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 36
golfer
February 11, 2021, 8:50am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,374
Gold Stars: 111
Good job it's not the pitch
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 36
White_shorts
June 24, 2021, 7:08pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from The Yard Dog

The Lower Findus was standing when it was built

I'm well aware of that, Yard Dog. My point was that it could and should have been twice the size. It would now have fourteen rows of seats, instead of a pathetic seven.

This article suggests it was Dudley Ramsden who thought private boxes were a good idea:

http://www.extra-gtfc.co.uk/accounts/chairman

"The club were ahead of the game, through his vision, with only five other clubs in the country being able to boast private Executive Boxes and corporate dining facilities".

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 36
DB
June 24, 2021, 7:16pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.55
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,880
Gold Stars: 383
Quoted from White_shorts

I'm well aware of that, Yard Dog. My point was that it could and should have been twice the size. It would now have fourteen rows of seats, instead of a pathetic seven.

This article suggests it was Dudley Ramsden who thought private boxes were a good idea:

http://www.extra-gtfc.co.uk/accounts/chairman

"The club were ahead of the game, through his vision, with only five other clubs in the country being able to boast private Executive Boxes and corporate dining facilities".

And then it was downhill until 5th May 2021.

One of the best days in the life of GTFC.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 36
Limerick Mariner
June 24, 2021, 8:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.55
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,552
Gold Stars: 131
Quoted from GYinScuntland

It was actually designed to be atmospheric and in it's day was up there with the best.
Pontoon, main and Barretts stands were bouncy and banging complimented by the three corner terraces. With a few away fans in the Osmond and put all that under floodlights, Bob's your uncle.
Anyone lucky enough to be bouncing in the stands with twelve to twenty thousand in the ground will never forget.

Unsurpassed - as a kid I was mesmerised by it - admittedly my early experiences were the McMenemy seasons but nowhere has bettered it. I've been on Kop at Anfield a few times but that's only one stand - full terracing on 4 sides with low roofs, woodbine laden mist hanging round the floodlights, that was better. Remember Lawrie Mac refusing to have a toss of the coin to decide the venue for the second replay v Southampton in 76 and insisting on a neutral ground - he admitted that he didn't want the game at BP under the lights.

TBF the Old Show Ground was decent with the Fox Street and half the Cantilever side full of Town fans - the FA Cup game there in the early 80s was a great atmosphere.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 36
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Best ground for atmosphere

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.