4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
mimma
September 16, 2019, 10:28am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,567
Gold Stars: 78
The view from the back of the Osmond is poor because of the low roof and posts. Stay in the Pontoon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 36
Hagrid
September 16, 2019, 10:57am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,391
Gold Stars: 529
our support at home is shite, its like a morgue, and if you disagree you're kidding yourself
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 36
mimma
September 16, 2019, 12:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,567
Gold Stars: 78
Compared to FGR, Morecambe etc. the atmosphere at BP is good. There's not many grounds with 4,500 in, that can generate a better atmosphere. It does go flat if Town struggle though, but that will be the same anywhere. The officials get a hard time from the crowd when they are crap which can help.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 36
Abdul19
September 16, 2019, 1:48pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,515
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from Hagrid
our support at home is shite, its like a morgue, and if you disagree you're kidding yourself

I'm not sure how you can argue with fanbanter, it doesn't get much more conclusive than that.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 36
WOZOFGRIMSBY
September 16, 2019, 6:29pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,798
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from bedders78
As we're covering old ground, I'll say again that putting a side on the main stand end of the pontoon would improve the acoustics by reflecting the sound back towards the crowd and pitch

And prime for advertising too!
Shame that some  people don't (want to) listen to  suggestions

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 36
White_shorts
September 16, 2019, 7:39pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -624
Gold Stars: 9
There would be a better atmosphere inside Blundell Park if there weren't three open corners. I think we are the only league club that doesn't have at least one side stand that covers the entire length of the pitch.

People sat high in the upper Findus are so far from the players that they are not inclined to provide vocal support. Any noise they do make goes over the Main Stand and out to the estuary.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 36
Gaffer58
September 16, 2019, 8:12pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
The way our fans are traveling at the moment I would argue that wherever we go that ground has the best atmosphere.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 36
White_shorts
November 1, 2019, 1:17pm
Lager Top Drinker
I think the club literally made a huge mistake in 1982 with the Findus Stand. There was no all-seater requirement at that time. They should have just built a fully-covered standing terrace.

If I was GTFC chairman with several million pounds in my bank account, I would dismantle most of the upper Findus and use the seats to extend the lower tier and Main Stand. The ground capacity would be the same, but there would be a much better atmosphere, especially at the Pontoon end.

I would also remove the windows from the corporate boxes, as people sat behind glass don't make any noise for the team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 36
blundellpork
November 1, 2019, 1:31pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +1,655
Gold Stars: 32
Quoted from White_shorts
I think the club literally made a huge mistake in 1982 with the Findus Stand. There was no all-seater requirement at that time. They should have just built a fully-covered standing terrace.

At the time it was built they were considering rotating the pitch 90 degrees and buying up the houses behind the main stand. There is space below the stand for dressing rooms and it would have been the right size for an end. Ultimately this never happened.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 36
White_shorts
May 7, 2020, 4:14pm
Lager Top Drinker
You could argue it was a mistake to build a new stand at all at Blundell Park. Lots of people owned cars by 1982. The lack of parking spaces must have been an issue even then.

Did GTFC make any effort to acquire the land where Sainsbury's and Alexandra Retail Park were built? Could the Fishing Heritage Centre and Heritage House have been incorporated into a new stadium at Garth Lane?

It annoys me that the club seems to have had its head in the sand for decades with regard to relocation. We paid a big price in 1995 when BP was made all-seater. Ground capacity and atmosphere was lost.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 36
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Best ground for atmosphere

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.