September 3, 2019, 10:45pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from OllieGTFC
In advance talks with the Cowley brothers 😂, Lincoln coming back to earth

As much as I would like them to come back down to Earth, I'm sure they would be in a position to afford a decent League 1 experienced manager. But getting a decent manager who would  then transfer that to League 1 success is another matter .

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 24
Lincoln Mariner 56
September 3, 2019, 11:34pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 79
According to the Mailonline Huddersfield evidently agreed to meet the £1million compensation clause in their contracts but they turned down the chance of a £1.5million annual salary!!!!

Firstly, much as I dislike them, I admire their commitment to the Imps, secondly, Wednesday is a different ball game as they are a big club who could get much bigger if they return to the Premiership. Can they, professionally afford to say no? In football you have to take opportunities when they arise as the game has a habit of biting back and kicking you in the teeth. A sudden bad run can reduce your worth very quickly so if story is true would expect them to go.

That said it’s an awful lot of money to get for your manager and puts them in a great position to bring in a well qualified and competent replacement.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 24
Malta_Mariner_90
September 4, 2019, 6:44am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +796
I think what might be in Lincolns favour of the Cowleys staying is the recent experiences of Hurst at Ipswich and Nathan Jones at Stoke.

Having said that Sheff Wed are a massive club in comparison to Lincoln but if the Cowleys fail there is it worth it? Tough call considering they could possibly take Lincoln into the Championship in any case.

Another major factor is would they be able to handle Championship football at a different club? Not sure how they are playing this season but if it is similar to how they have set up sides in the past it will simply not work in the Championship. Not a league where you can get away with playing hoofball.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 24
1mickylyons
September 4, 2019, 6:56am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,383
Gold Stars: 56
They have to take the Weds job IF they are going to be backed correctly S Weds in the right hands are a top half Prem Club and it`s been a long time since those days much bigger Club than Huddersfield. This is a good fit for the Cowley`s in my opinion otherwise you would have to wonder what ambition they have?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 24
lukeo
September 4, 2019, 7:03am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
It's all down to how you see life and what you want out of it. If you're alll about money and want as much as possible then hess you'd go. They may be happy and settled where they are and have a good thing going on, not just at Lincoln but in every day life... I have a friend who's very happy in his job, he was offered £5k a year more at a different company, he said no. They said £10k, he knew that was a lot oof money so he spoke to his company explaining the situation and they gave him a £5k pay rise and he stayed put 'misssing' out on an extra £5k... Why? Because he's settled and happy.
Aslong as they're on a decent amount of money it's More of a risk to get up and go especially with the progress they've made with Lincoln.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 24
1mickylyons
September 4, 2019, 7:05am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,383
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from lukeo
It's all down to how you see life and what you want out of it. If you're alll about money and want as much as possible then hess you'd go. They may be happy and settled where they are and have a good thing going on, not just at Lincoln but in every day life... I have a friend who's very happy in his job, he was offered £5k a year more at a different company, he said no. They said £10k, he knew that was a lot oof money so he spoke to his company explaining the situation and they gave him a £5k pay rise and he stayed put 'misssing' out on an extra £5k... Why? Because he's settled and happy.
Aslong as they're on a decent amount of money it's More of a risk to get up and go especially with the progress they've made with Lincoln.

You can`t win FA Cups or League Cups with Lincoln or get into Europe but you can with Sheff Weds . The Cowleys have impressed me that they havent just used Lincoln and jumped at the first job offer from above they recieved I will be amazed if they turn Weds down IF they know they will get proper backing from the board?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 24
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 4, 2019, 8:29am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from lukeo

Wednesday are a big club with much better long term prospects than Lincoln. The Crowleys are no fools. Nathan Jones had the same sort of decision to make about joining Stoke, Hurst with Ipswich but Wednesday are different. They are ready to go upwards and once they get momentum the PL is a real possibility. That brings all the joys of MONEY and this is a club in a position to challenge the big boys, not like Norwich or Watford. It is no contest really. They want to prove themselves against the best so they should go.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 24
jamesgtfc
September 4, 2019, 9:26am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,957
Gold Stars: 190
The concerning thing for me with this is that we appear to be on the cusp of something with MJ and it wouldn't surprise me if Lincoln went after him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 24
SalsaE70
September 4, 2019, 9:29am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: -90
Gold Stars: 1
Ha!... you wish.
The Golden Boys aren’t  going anywhere..... DC stated categorically after last night that Hudd are off the agenda and that the Sheff Wed approach was a surprise. Not going anywhere atm.
It’s refreshing to hear that some managers just want to finish something they have started and I applaud them for that view.
They will finish what they started and then go... good luck to them. If they carry on like this, the riches will follow...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 24
3 Pages 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Sheff Wednesday

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.