MuddyWaters
August 29, 2019, 8:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,260
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Cod Cheeks
I have been critical of John Fenty in the past but I'm certain he has the club at heart.
I'm also pretty certain that without him, we would be in a much worse situation.
No comparison between him a the Bury owner, that just highlights how fortunate we are to have a genuine fan at the helm. He's stuck with it when many, including myself (town through and through) would have said stuff it all.

Fortunes on the pitch are often kick started by luck...signings...good managerial appointments, etc. Look at Lincoln gambling on 2 teachers and winning.
John may well have done similar now by appointing Jolley (I hope so)
There has been no one else to take over the reigns during his tenure (it's delusional to think otherwise)and since Peter Furneaux past way, he has been almost single handed. A lonely place.
Many on here seem to take it to a very personal level. I feel it coming as I type but objectively, the Bury situation has focused my thoughts toward gratitude and relief that it isn't us and JF has been key to that.

In the past? Maybe, but in recent times, most have accepted that he did what he felt was right at the time but, in hindsight, it might have been better done differently. Factually, we are several rungs lower in the league ladder than we were when he started albeit that things show signs of improvement. But then, we're due to be in the Championship in three and a half years according to Mr Day.
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 100
forza ivano
August 29, 2019, 9:16pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,207
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from psgmariner
He’s done an interview with Grimsby Independent today. Should be available later this evening.

Why do I always get a sinking feeling when I see the words Fenty and interview in the same sentence?

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 100
lew chaterleys lover
August 29, 2019, 9:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,726
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from forza ivano

Why do I always get a sinking feeling when I see the words Fenty and interview in the same sentence?

I am looking forward to it myself. I have my Fenty bingo cliche' card at the ready.

One thing is for sure - we will be no further on by the end of the interview than we were at the start.
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 100
KingstonMariner
August 29, 2019, 9:36pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Ipswin

Perhaps you should, then you wouldn't try to be such a clever fornicator.

The bit at the end where the deposed head of the failed takeover group smirks at the camera and says he'll fight the trust all the way and if it comes to it he'll make sure there is nothing left (of the club) to fight for (mind you they had just appointed Mike Newell!)

Please let no one knock Fenty for making sure whoever buys the club is not a rip off merchant. We must not let our club pass into the wrong hands.

Be careful what you wish for, the criticisms and faults of Fenty could look insignificant if the wrong man / men get their hands on GTFC

Couldn't agree more on this point.

All we've heard from Fenty though is whether Shutes' bnk balance is big enough. Which is no measure of a man's ethics.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 100
KingstonMariner
August 29, 2019, 9:38pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
PS anyone moaning that this is just another Fenty bashing thread should take it up with the original poster.

To quote Basil Fenty Fawlty when talking to the German guests,

'you started it!'

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 100
Rik e B
August 29, 2019, 10:04pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Quoted from Cod Cheeks

There has been no one else to take over the reigns during his tenure (it's delusional to think otherwise)

Mike Parker.

We could have their combined clout even but unfortunately it's a closed door 'my way or the highway' unlike Lincoln's 'any investors are welcome'.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 100
Rik e B
August 29, 2019, 10:08pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
And a hell of a lot of great work has gone on in the background to enable the Cowley's success.

I doubt if we had the Cowley's we'd have seized the opportunity the same. Would BP be sold out with several thousand season tickets? No, though I'd argue our potential fan base is bigger.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 100
TAGG
August 29, 2019, 10:54pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,952
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from fleabag1970
In light of the goings on in the EFL this week has the tide of opinion changed towards him?  

NO

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 100
dapperz fun pub
August 30, 2019, 7:50am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,959
Gold Stars: 82
Just hope the buyout happens soon so fenty can put all his effort and time on giant palm trees 😎🏝  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 100
Mrs Doyle
August 30, 2019, 7:58am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
First and formost Fenty is and always will be a life long mariner. I have not agreed with everything he as done but in hindsight (unless we have hidden debts) he as tried to keep the club financially stable.

His ego does get the better of him which causes a bitter rift with supporters and even fellow ex directors.

Let's face it nobody likes being told they are wrong or critisised for doing the wrong thing.

Time to let Mike Jolley's team and the lads do the talking on the pitch where it matters.

We all want that don't we??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 100
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mr Fenty

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.