MuddyWaters
August 30, 2019, 4:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from forza ivano
quite interesting interview, though the volume was awful. Sounds like the journo had put the microphone out in the corridor!
Fenty ,at long last, seems to have given up on Peaks Parkway, even though he's convinced it's the best option. Without Shutes the ground on the docks will die, so Freeman Street seems to be the option he's planning for
Forgive me GrimRob/getyourfactsright if i've got this arrse about face as it was bloody difficult to hear (don't need any more posts deleted nor snotty p.m.s)

Some crackers for your Fenty Bingo , although i was badly let down when 'tyre kickers' didn't pass his lips  

those old stalwarts - at the end of the day / moving forward / brought to the table/ sat round the table/ it's fair to say /rub of the green all got a good airing.
he loves 'custodian' ;think he said it 5 times, whilst I particularly liked newcomers such as  'income ladder' and the pitch being described as a 'postage stamp'.
he saved the best though, until near the end, when he said 'he wanted to cement home again' , by which i think he simply meant 'repeat' rather than referring to some bizarre, botched d.i.y. job!

I particularly liked BP pitch being a 'postage stamp' and then 'my most expensive garden'.

The underlying message I get is that the takeover seems far less likely than it was reported by the Telegraph two months ago.
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 100
forza ivano
August 30, 2019, 4:20pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +73 / -18
Approval: +15,138
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I particularly liked BP pitch being a 'postage stamp' and then 'my most expensive garden'.

The underlying message I get is that the takeover seems far less likely than it was reported by the Telegraph two months ago.

oooh , i missed the garden one Codger.Was he still talking about the pitch? The other one I liked, and he said it twice, was 'went through the building' referring to the player turnover. does anyone know if that is an 'oldie but goodie' or a new turn of phrase that he's discovered?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 100
grimsby pete
August 30, 2019, 5:04pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Never heard anybody say they hate John Fenty personally he`s just done his time and were fed up with him and he is fed up with us.

True but never heard anybody say they love him either  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 100
KingstonMariner
August 30, 2019, 5:11pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
First and formost Fenty is and always will be a life long mariner. I have not agreed with everything he as done but in hindsight (unless we have hidden debts) he as tried to keep the club financially stable.

His ego does get the better of him which causes a bitter rift with supporters and even fellow ex directors.

Let's face it nobody likes being told they are wrong or critisised for doing the wrong thing.

Time to let Mike Jolley's team and the lads do the talking on the pitch where it matters.

We all want that don't we??

MD, I’m not aware of ANY calls for the team not to do their talking on the pitch, are you?!

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 100
cmackenzie4
August 30, 2019, 5:27pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.29
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,320
Gold Stars: 33
I thought that was a great interview by John, he spoke honestly and from the heart, you can see this club means a lot to him, he’s acknowledged he’s got things wrong in the past which takes balls to do that, he deserves credit for that 👍

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 100
lew chaterleys lover
August 30, 2019, 5:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,546
Gold Stars: 231
I admit he came over better in that interview - looked more relaxed - perhaps because it was an interview by little known media.

Regarding the substance though, I don't understand what the point of Fenty is? If you cannot spend more than 50% of your income and he has not had much if any success in improving our income, then what is he there for?

He distributes the main income  - the fans money - to the manager who spends it. To me, that cries out that a man with such limited ability to have a collegiate approach, and to get and keep other people on board who could increase our income is definitely not the man we need.

He keeps asking Shutes for proof of funds to counteract a downturn, or a bad season, but why should he have to do that? Fenty himself said the club is self-financing even run as it is now, so the chance of a serious downturn is unlikely.

Even after all this time in charge Fenty's financial input has been relatively small by todays standards, and that did include a serious downturn (relegation from the league altogether)

That interview has just confirmed my view that someone else in charge who is better able to galvanise the fans and get a feel good factor around the club and its role in the community would do a much better job. If that man is also able to make the club the centrepiece of a regeneration of the town that would be fantastic.
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 100
pen penfras
August 30, 2019, 6:36pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -137
Gold Stars: 71
I admit he came over better in that interview - looked more relaxed - perhaps because it was an interview by little known media.

Regarding the substance though, I don't understand what the point of Fenty is? If you cannot spend more than 50% of your income and he has not had much if any success in improving our income, then what is he there for?

He distributes the main income  - the fans money - to the manager who spends it. To me, that cries out that a man with such limited ability to have a collegiate approach, and to get and keep other people on board who could increase our income is definitely not the man we need.

He keeps asking Shutes for proof of funds to counteract a downturn, or a bad season, but why should he have to do that? Fenty himself said the club is self-financing even run as it is now, so the chance of a serious downturn is unlikely.

Even after all this time in charge Fenty's financial input has been relatively small by todays standards, and that did include a serious downturn (relegation from the league altogether)

That interview has just confirmed my view that someone else in charge who is better able to galvanise the fans and get a feel good factor around the club and its role in the community would do a much better job. If that man is also able to make the club the centrepiece of a regeneration of the town that would be fantastic.

He admits that we currently don't need these extra funds, but also goes on to explain how much we lost when we got relegated last time, which is nearly double what he said he's looking for in terms of proof of funds for a rainy day. The EFL requirement is that we only spend 50% of qualifying income, but a bad run and crowds could easily drop to 3000 which would be a huge drop in income that we couldn't have accounted for and would put us significantly above the 50%. Plus with players on 2-3 year contracts, we could end up stuck with high earners in the conference with a significantly lower income.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 100
KingstonMariner
August 30, 2019, 6:40pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from pen penfras

He admits that we currently don't need these extra funds, but also goes on to explain how much we lost when we got relegated last time, which is nearly double what he said he's looking for in terms of proof of funds for a rainy day. The EFL requirement is that we only spend 50% of qualifying income, but a bad run and crowds could easily drop to 3000 which would be a huge drop in income that we couldn't have accounted for and would put us significantly above the 50%. Plus with players on 2-3 year contracts, we could end up stuck with high earners in the conference with a significantly lower income.

So how would a handout from an owner not breach the FFP rules?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 100
pen penfras
August 30, 2019, 6:43pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -137
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from KingstonMariner

So how would a handout from an owner not breach the FFP rules?

If you read through the EFL rules on FFP or whatever they call it, owner donations are eligible for 100% going towards the playing budget, it's 50% of transfers, ticket sales, merchandise etc. Andy Holt also mentioned that there's a box owners can tick to say they won't abide by these rules and will self fund the club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 100
Bigdog
August 30, 2019, 7:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from pen penfras

In this day and age, I can't imagine any responsible owner of a football club would sign players in any division on two or three year contracts without a relegation clause that significantly reduced the salaries and an option for either party to cancel the contract and the player look elsewhere. Surely they wouldn't have had their eyes shut seeing what has happened to Leeds, Sunderland, Bolton, Coventry and many others upon relegation from the Premier League over the past couple of decades? Different levels of cash but exactly the same principle..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 100
11 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mr Fenty

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.