7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
July 20, 2019, 3:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Of the new players, only Ogbu didn't really get involved or show what he was capable of. Not sure if he really knew where he should be standing when it was 4-3-1-2 but then didn't get much of the ball when it was more of a 4-3-3 either. The starting 11 looked defensively solid but was a bit one-paced and it was a pretty low key performance from both teams. Rose made a difference and their tiring defence struggled with his pace and movement which bodes well for the coming season.

Gibson looked solid defensively but didn't try to get forward much and Ring did OK when he came on as well. A good performance from Pollock, given his inexperience but he's not the ideal partner for Ohman as neither is exactly nippy. He'll be a decent option off the bench on that showing.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 67
moosey_club
July 20, 2019, 3:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Good result for Town 😊 🏁

Hope everyone has a safe journey home - hopefully the police will be able to control the crowd to make sure of that 😉

hardly saw a policeman so no idea what the early kick off was about.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 67
Garth
July 20, 2019, 4:02pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Early kick off cost Town in gate receipts stupid, It was a decent game against a decent Donny team, all the team played well and deserved the victory
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 67
moosey_club
July 20, 2019, 4:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,141
Gold Stars: 220
Until Rose and Cook came on i thought we were a little predictable, channel balls to Green or diagonals to Hanson, didnt really bring us any joy though. Hanson may not come up against a big a central unit as their No.5 again which limited his effectiveness today but he still won a fair few headers and does know what is going on around him and will definately help the ball stick up top.
Starting 11 looked solid and disciplined but no one capable of running the ball and committing the opposition or beating the opposition which left us to the previous mentioned mode of attack. The lack of width didnt help the attacking game either.  Ogbu hardly got a touch just behind the front two.

Ring came on and pushed higher up than Gibson had been but Gibson looked strong capable and quite big as a left back.

Pollock looked very strong and gave 9 Marquis(?) a tough time. Second half in front of the dug outs i swear he went in for a block tackle on the floor with his head, looked absolutely fearless and at home in the startng line up.

Once Rose and Cook came on we dropped the punts that Hanson had been getting and looked to feet a little more, Rose keen to turn and run at the opposition which lead to the goal, cut in  from the right,  good strike which cannoned off the bar ad Hess nicely controlled and then smashed into the top corner with a rising shot.

Thought we finished the game stronger than Donny so credit to the fitness work.

Whitehouse, Gibson and Pollock all looked strong and disciplined and took the eye the most for me.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 67
jamesgtfc
July 20, 2019, 4:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,815
Gold Stars: 187
Quoted from moosey_club
Until Rose and Cook came on i thought we were a little predictable, channel balls to Green or diagonals to Hanson, didnt really bring us any joy though. Hanson may not come up against a big a central unit as their No.5 again which limited his effectiveness today but he still won a fair few headers and does know what is going on around him and will definately help the ball stick up top.
Starting 11 looked solid and disciplined but no one capable of running the ball and committing the opposition or beating the opposition which left us to the previous mentioned mode of attack. The lack of width didnt help the attacking game either.  Ogbu hardly got a touch just behind the front two.

Ring came on and pushed higher up than Gibson had been but Gibson looked strong capable and quite big as a left back.

Pollock looked very strong and gave 9 Marquis(?) a tough time. Second half in front of the dug outs i swear he went in for a block tackle on the floor with his head, looked absolutely fearless and at home in the startng line up.

Once Rose and Cook came on we dropped the punts that Hanson had been getting and looked to feet a little more, Rose keen to turn and run at the opposition which lead to the goal, cut in  from the right,  good strike which cannoned off the bar ad Hess nicely controlled and then smashed into the top corner with a rising shot.

Thought we finished the game stronger than Donny so credit to the fitness work.

Whitehouse, Gibson and Pollock all looked strong and disciplined and took the eye the most for me.

Their player was about the clear the ball with his foot and Pollock, laying on his stomach, headed the ball out of play. Fantastic commitment but it could easily have gone drastically wrong.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 67
promotion plaice
July 20, 2019, 7:03pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 188

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 67
RonMariner
July 20, 2019, 8:50pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,007
Gold Stars: 216
From the highlights it looks like we didn't create much going forward.

I think most of us still believe that we need a creative midfield playmaker to make best use of the forwards we have recruited.  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 67
hheh2
July 20, 2019, 8:55pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +759
Gold Stars: 4
Did Hewitt play?

Poojah's fishy
[img]https://image.ibb.co/dgpebm/Dascyllus_melanurus_1.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 67
bigdavemariner
July 20, 2019, 9:06pm
UTM
Lower Findus
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +395
Gold Stars: 4
For me there were a few stand out players today

Ohman looks fitter and stronger just from today's showing..won his battles and attacked the ball well in the air

Pollock was a huge surprise but could be a fantastic player for us..I like the way he attacks every header with intent and goes to the ball. Doesnt get stuck under it. Think he'll score a few this year if he carries that on. For a young lad he's physically strong. Comfortable with the ball at his feet as well in the way many young centre halves are developing these days. Looked confident playing the ball out from the back.

Hanson and Green could be the pairing we have been looking for. Hanson wins his headers, flick ons and knock downs..not had this for years. He's an old fashioned target man and will create as many as he scores. Greens work rate is impressive. Never stopped running and constantly talking to the team

I'm a little confused whay type of player Ogbu is. Doesn't seem overly quick and attacking, isn't pulling the strings with the killer final ball and doesn't look an intelligent player as he was constantly being told where to stand and what to do. I'm hoping he's just adjusting to the game and he'll settle in. Sure there is a decent player in there and there'll be a role in the team for him, what that is though I'm not quite sure yet.

Rose when he came on looked like a player with intent. He'll score us goals and create chances this year with his pace. He's a strong lad, but sure he's actually less bulky this year. He doesn't look as big in the upper body and I wonder if that's intentional to get the most out of his pace

Still think we need that spark of creativity in the team. Actually think vernam gives us this in a similar way to embelton. Just need to get him fit. Think a creative player and an out and out pacey/tricky winger would suit the forwards..

Overall , preseason is dull, town looked quite good and promising at times, Donny for all their possession didn't hardly give Macca a save to make, the lack of queue in the main stand bar was amazing before the game and half time.

Gary Lump Lump Lump!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 67
Posh Harry
July 20, 2019, 10:56pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,327
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from RonMariner
From the highlights it looks like we didn't create much going forward.

I think most of us still believe that we need a creative midfield playmaker to make best use of the forwards we have recruited.  

I suspect the highlights were doctored in favour of the club that produced them ie donny
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 67
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › XI vs Donny

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.