Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Malta_Mariner_90, July 19, 2019, 1:51pm
So who are we expecting to start tomorrow, Jolley has already been quoted as saying this game and Peterborough will be the games we start seeing the side that will be starting the season (more or less).

I predict we will line up something like this:

__________________Macca__________________

Henrie______Ohman_______Davis_________Ring

__________________Hess___________________

___________Clifton_______Whitehouse_________

__________________Ogbu___________________

____________Green________Hanson__________

I.e the Cleethorpes formation. Asking a lot of Ring to provide the attacking intent and to defend maybe. Obviously Ogbu could be the key man if he is going to be getting into wide areas as well.

Certainly the midfield is going to need a lot of energy playing this way.

Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, July 19, 2019, 2:12pm; Reply: 1
Pretty much agree but think Hewitt May start before either Clifton or Whitehouse, maybe the latter if we are looking to ease him back into things.
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 19, 2019, 2:32pm; Reply: 2
Is there any specific reason why this game kicks off at 12 noon. I'm working til 1 so can't make it.

Surely it can't be that they're expecting trouble.
Posted by: Malta_Mariner_90, July 19, 2019, 3:06pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Les Brechin
Is there any specific reason why this game kicks off at 12 noon. I'm working til 1 so can't make it.

Lets put it this way it is not like there is historical precedent of Towns games being moved on police advice.   ;)

Does seem an odd kick off time if this is not the reason.

Posted by: ivanosandwich, July 19, 2019, 3:17pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Les Brechin

Just in case it gets dark early.
Posted by: Civvy at last, July 19, 2019, 3:18pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Les Brechin

Quite possibly an overreaction to the Sheff U debacle.
Where Humberside finest are concerned, the words Stable door, horse and bolted spring to mind 🤔
Posted by: Civvy at last, July 19, 2019, 3:19pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from ivanosandwich

Just in case it gets dark early.

But we’ve got proper floodlights now 😄😄
Posted by: fishyfanny, July 19, 2019, 4:16pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Les Brechin

Won't Glen let you knock off early?
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 19, 2019, 6:23pm; Reply: 8

I'm looking forward to seeing the new signings and Whitehouse make their Blundell Park debuts, I'll be there.
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 19, 2019, 6:30pm; Reply: 9

I wonder how many fans Donny will bring, should be a fair few ?
Posted by: The Yard Dog, July 19, 2019, 7:17pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Civvy at last

But we’ve got proper floodlights now 😄😄

Cannot use them before the 6th Aug 2019

Grimsby Town Football Club, in conjunction with the Mariners Trust will be hosting a question & answer event with a pie, chips & pea supper to commemorate the floodlights officially being lit for the first time.

On Tuesday 6th August, the new Blundell Park floodlights will be turned on for the first time and to commemorate the occasion, we will be hosting a question and answer event in McMenemy's with first team manager Michael Jolley, assistant Anthony Limbrick and a selection of first team players.

Posted by: Gaffer58, July 19, 2019, 7:34pm; Reply: 11
Didn't realise Jolley and co are floodlight experts, rather they were asked football questions ?
Posted by: Sigone, July 20, 2019, 11:04am; Reply: 12
No Davies in squad, Pollock starts
Posted by: acko338, July 20, 2019, 11:18am; Reply: 13
Good to see Pollock being tested against good opposition - could be a really good developing season for him !!
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 20, 2019, 11:38am; Reply: 14
Mariners XI: McKeown, Gibson, Öhman, Pollock, Hendrie, Clifton, Hessenthaler, Whitehouse, Ogbu, Hanson, Green.

Subs: Battersby, Cook, Curran, Buckley, Ring, Starbuck, Rose, Wright.

Only 2 players who started the opener last season against FGR in the starting XI today.
Posted by: lukeo, July 20, 2019, 11:47am; Reply: 15
Never knew we had a coffee shop play for us.. Hope a few turn up today to watch the game, still think we're a couple of players short of a top 10 finish, would be nice to see us still in contention for the play off places with a couple of games to go to keep the interest their.
Posted by: GYinScuntland, July 20, 2019, 11:56am; Reply: 16
Quoted from Les Brechin

Brilliant, I was just setting off from my caravan at ingoldmells, thought I'd make a slight detour, take in the game and get Morecambe tickets.
Now I find the bloody thing starts in 5mins.
Getting drunk off before the season has even started.
Posted by: Mariner55, July 20, 2019, 12:05pm; Reply: 17
anyone know who's the captain?
Posted by: Malta_Mariner_90, July 20, 2019, 12:10pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Les Brechin
Mariners XI: McKeown, Gibson, Öhman, Pollock, Hendrie, Clifton, Hessenthaler, Whitehouse, Ogbu, Hanson, Green.

Subs: Battersby, Cook, Curran, Buckley, Ring, Starbuck, Rose, Wright.

Only 2 players who started the opener last season against FGR in the starting XI today.

The more or less expected starting XI, interesting to see Gibson in, assume Davis has a knock and not risked.

Posted by: Les Brechin, July 20, 2019, 12:11pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Mariner55
anyone know who's the captain?

Luke Hendrie
Posted by: Mariner55, July 20, 2019, 12:12pm; Reply: 20
Hendrie, to answer my own question
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 20, 2019, 12:13pm; Reply: 21

Had to smile when the Donny fans all cheered thinking they had scored.
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 20, 2019, 12:23pm; Reply: 22

Their number 9 is lucky to be still on the pitch, it's a friendly FFS
Posted by: jaygy, July 20, 2019, 12:32pm; Reply: 23
Pollock doesn’t look out of place at all at the back, looks like a big presence. This is the most physical town side I’ve ever seen with the front two bullying their centre backs
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 20, 2019, 12:37pm; Reply: 24

Good performance all round but Whitehouse has impressed me so far.
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 20, 2019, 12:45pm; Reply: 25

The Donny team coach driver asked to go immediately back to his coach, surely not.
Posted by: Rik e B, July 20, 2019, 12:58pm; Reply: 26
Bollox just woke off nights!
Posted by: moosey_club, July 20, 2019, 12:59pm; Reply: 27
Half time report...0-0
4-3-1-2 formation with Hendrie and Gibson pushing up slightly when we have possession.
Whitehouse..Clifton and Hess look solid and grafting but no finesse.
Gibson looks solid and quick in the tackle. Promising.
Full backs not progressing far enough up to give us real width in attack which has left us looking for channel balls for Green or diagonals for Hanson.... Hanson has a gorilla on his back so not winning enough to be effective.
Moses seems to be in a hole behind the front two but is getting bypassed so looks anonymous really.
Hard working....solid....but no player looks capable of skinning their opposite number and therefore we are relatively non threatening.
They have used our lack of width effectively to gain yards and crossing opportunities which Pollock and Ohman have dealt with ok so far.
One good effort from Whitehouse saved by the keeper for us.

Need some flair from somewhere to get some alternative attacking options.
Posted by: jaygy, July 20, 2019, 12:59pm; Reply: 28
Ogbu isn’t impressing me so far, still time for him to adapt but his touch just isn’t there right now. Hanson has been very slow to get up and support Green when he’s had the ball at his feet in the box, I’d like to see how we’d do will a quicker striker up with one of those two. Sick of seeing their number 9 having a paddy every five minutes!
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, July 20, 2019, 1:00pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Les Brechin

Making sure all the fans are in the ground on a Saturday morning for a “friendly” is overkill as far as I’m concerned

Had it been a 3-00 pm kick off I’d have been there but I didn’t want to set off mid morning to come over for what in essence is still only a practice match

I wonder what effect the early kick off will have had on the attendance today? Can’t imagine the South Yorkshire contingent being massive.

At least the score at HT (0-0) means there shouldn’t be anything to spark the bitter rivalry between our two clubs ( my tongue is firmly in my cheek as I write that 😁 )
Posted by: moosey_club, July 20, 2019, 1:19pm; Reply: 30
12 o clock kick off to allow time for the yorkies to get out onto the sandbanks and cut off by the evening high tide
Posted by: Malta_Mariner_90, July 20, 2019, 1:39pm; Reply: 31
Seems like Pollock is having a pretty good game going of the telegraph  :)
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 20, 2019, 1:43pm; Reply: 32

1-0 Town, worth the £12 just to see that
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 20, 2019, 1:46pm; Reply: 33

Att. 1,331  (226)
Posted by: marinerdazza, July 20, 2019, 1:49pm; Reply: 34
Who scored?
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 20, 2019, 1:51pm; Reply: 35

FT.   Town 1-0 Doncaster. 😀
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), July 20, 2019, 1:52pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from marinerdazza
Who scored?

Hessentaller

Posted by: Hagrid, July 20, 2019, 1:53pm; Reply: 37
Thought ludvig and pollock lookee very solid
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, July 20, 2019, 1:55pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from promotion plaice

Att. 1,331  (226)

Good result for Town 😊 🏁

Hope everyone has a safe journey home - hopefully the police will be able to control the crowd to make sure of that 😉
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 20, 2019, 2:01pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Good result for Town 😊 🏁

Hope everyone has a safe journey home - hopefully the police will be able to control the crowd to make sure of that 😉

Everyone is too busy trying to avoid the rain, it's chucking it down.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 20, 2019, 2:21pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from 449[b
]Never knew we had a coffee shop play for us[/b].. Hope a few turn up today to watch the game, still think we're a couple of players short of a top 10 finish, would be nice to see us still in contention for the play off places with a couple of games to go to keep the interest their.

Hope he has a whale of a time this season.
Posted by: lee65, July 20, 2019, 2:23pm; Reply: 41
To those who went, do you think it was a reasonably strong Donny team on show?
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, July 20, 2019, 2:27pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from lee65
To those who went, do you think it was a reasonably strong Donny team on show?

I believe it's there first 11.. a lot of players in and out there. Don't think they'll be quite as strong as they was last season, lost a lot of key players.
Posted by: lukeo, July 20, 2019, 2:27pm; Reply: 43
We win? Aargghh we are going up. MJ is king!  ;)
Posted by: lee65, July 20, 2019, 2:34pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

I believe it's there first 11.. a lot of players in and out there. Don't think they'll be quite as strong as they was last season, lost a lot of key players.

Thank you very much, sounds promising then  :)  
Posted by: jaygy, July 20, 2019, 2:37pm; Reply: 45
Donny played the ball around much better than us an exposed our lack of width by spreading the play out wide but the two full backs coped really well with it, we’ve got some real competition for the left back position imo as ring did really well when he came on. Akheem had a great cameo and showed great pace trying to knock it past defenders and run, he could be a great asset this season. Clifton had an off day today as he was always looking for a killer ball rather than playing it to feet and he got a telling off from green at one point. A good solid performance all round though
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 20, 2019, 2:47pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from 123614

Hessentaller

And what a fantastic long range strike it was after we had just hit the bar.

Posted by: golfer, July 20, 2019, 3:00pm; Reply: 47
Really enjoyable game. Have never seen Town getting stuck in as much-and this was only a friendly -their No 9 couldn't hack it-moaning at every tackle.  Would have liked to have seen Rose.Hanson and Green on at the same time. Think we have improved our attack immensely. I think Donny brought everyone on their books-17 0n the pitch at halftime.
Posted by: arryarryarry, July 20, 2019, 3:23pm; Reply: 48
I thought we played well, they are a division above so should be better but I didn't really think they were that much better than us.

I was really impressed by Gibson who looked better than someone who hasn't played that much.

Green played really well in the first half but  I thought faded a bit in the second. I agree with those that thought we battled well.

I can't wait to see how we do against Morecambe.
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 20, 2019, 3:31pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from arryarryarry

I can't wait to see how we do against Morecambe.

I can't wait to see how we do against Peterborough after today's performance.

Posted by: Maringer, July 20, 2019, 3:51pm; Reply: 50
Of the new players, only Ogbu didn't really get involved or show what he was capable of. Not sure if he really knew where he should be standing when it was 4-3-1-2 but then didn't get much of the ball when it was more of a 4-3-3 either. The starting 11 looked defensively solid but was a bit one-paced and it was a pretty low key performance from both teams. Rose made a difference and their tiring defence struggled with his pace and movement which bodes well for the coming season.

Gibson looked solid defensively but didn't try to get forward much and Ring did OK when he came on as well. A good performance from Pollock, given his inexperience but he's not the ideal partner for Ohman as neither is exactly nippy. He'll be a decent option off the bench on that showing.
Posted by: moosey_club, July 20, 2019, 3:53pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Good result for Town 😊 🏁

hardly saw a policeman so no idea what the early kick off was about.
Posted by: Garth, July 20, 2019, 4:02pm; Reply: 52
Early kick off cost Town in gate receipts stupid, It was a decent game against a decent Donny team, all the team played well and deserved the victory
Posted by: moosey_club, July 20, 2019, 4:09pm; Reply: 53
Until Rose and Cook came on i thought we were a little predictable, channel balls to Green or diagonals to Hanson, didnt really bring us any joy though. Hanson may not come up against a big a central unit as their No.5 again which limited his effectiveness today but he still won a fair few headers and does know what is going on around him and will definately help the ball stick up top.
Starting 11 looked solid and disciplined but no one capable of running the ball and committing the opposition or beating the opposition which left us to the previous mentioned mode of attack. The lack of width didnt help the attacking game either.  Ogbu hardly got a touch just behind the front two.

Ring came on and pushed higher up than Gibson had been but Gibson looked strong capable and quite big as a left back.

Pollock looked very strong and gave 9 Marquis(?) a tough time. Second half in front of the dug outs i swear he went in for a block tackle on the floor with his head, looked absolutely fearless and at home in the startng line up.

Once Rose and Cook came on we dropped the punts that Hanson had been getting and looked to feet a little more, Rose keen to turn and run at the opposition which lead to the goal, cut in  from the right,  good strike which cannoned off the bar ad Hess nicely controlled and then smashed into the top corner with a rising shot.

Thought we finished the game stronger than Donny so credit to the fitness work.

Whitehouse, Gibson and Pollock all looked strong and disciplined and took the eye the most for me.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, July 20, 2019, 4:20pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from moosey_club
Until Rose and Cook came on i thought we were a little predictable, channel balls to Green or diagonals to Hanson, didnt really bring us any joy though. Hanson may not come up against a big a central unit as their No.5 again which limited his effectiveness today but he still won a fair few headers and does know what is going on around him and will definately help the ball stick up top.
Starting 11 looked solid and disciplined but no one capable of running the ball and committing the opposition or beating the opposition which left us to the previous mentioned mode of attack. The lack of width didnt help the attacking game either.  Ogbu hardly got a touch just behind the front two.

Ring came on and pushed higher up than Gibson had been but Gibson looked strong capable and quite big as a left back.

Pollock looked very strong and gave 9 Marquis(?) a tough time. Second half in front of the dug outs i swear he went in for a block tackle on the floor with his head, looked absolutely fearless and at home in the startng line up.

Once Rose and Cook came on we dropped the punts that Hanson had been getting and looked to feet a little more, Rose keen to turn and run at the opposition which lead to the goal, cut in  from the right,  good strike which cannoned off the bar ad Hess nicely controlled and then smashed into the top corner with a rising shot.

Thought we finished the game stronger than Donny so credit to the fitness work.

Whitehouse, Gibson and Pollock all looked strong and disciplined and took the eye the most for me.

Their player was about the clear the ball with his foot and Pollock, laying on his stomach, headed the ball out of play. Fantastic commitment but it could easily have gone drastically wrong.
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 20, 2019, 7:03pm; Reply: 55

Match highlights.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpg7SordLcA
Posted by: RonMariner, July 20, 2019, 8:50pm; Reply: 56
From the highlights it looks like we didn't create much going forward.

I think most of us still believe that we need a creative midfield playmaker to make best use of the forwards we have recruited.  
Posted by: hheh2, July 20, 2019, 8:55pm; Reply: 57
Did Hewitt play?
Posted by: bigdavemariner, July 20, 2019, 9:06pm; Reply: 58
For me there were a few stand out players today

Ohman looks fitter and stronger just from today's showing..won his battles and attacked the ball well in the air

Pollock was a huge surprise but could be a fantastic player for us..I like the way he attacks every header with intent and goes to the ball. Doesnt get stuck under it. Think he'll score a few this year if he carries that on. For a young lad he's physically strong. Comfortable with the ball at his feet as well in the way many young centre halves are developing these days. Looked confident playing the ball out from the back.

Hanson and Green could be the pairing we have been looking for. Hanson wins his headers, flick ons and knock downs..not had this for years. He's an old fashioned target man and will create as many as he scores. Greens work rate is impressive. Never stopped running and constantly talking to the team

I'm a little confused whay type of player Ogbu is. Doesn't seem overly quick and attacking, isn't pulling the strings with the killer final ball and doesn't look an intelligent player as he was constantly being told where to stand and what to do. I'm hoping he's just adjusting to the game and he'll settle in. Sure there is a decent player in there and there'll be a role in the team for him, what that is though I'm not quite sure yet.

Rose when he came on looked like a player with intent. He'll score us goals and create chances this year with his pace. He's a strong lad, but sure he's actually less bulky this year. He doesn't look as big in the upper body and I wonder if that's intentional to get the most out of his pace

Still think we need that spark of creativity in the team. Actually think vernam gives us this in a similar way to embelton. Just need to get him fit. Think a creative player and an out and out pacey/tricky winger would suit the forwards..

Overall , preseason is dull, town looked quite good and promising at times, Donny for all their possession didn't hardly give Macca a save to make, the lack of queue in the main stand bar was amazing before the game and half time.
Posted by: Posh Harry, July 20, 2019, 10:56pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from RonMariner

I think most of us still believe that we need a creative midfield playmaker to make best use of the forwards we have recruited.  

I suspect the highlights were doctored in favour of the club that produced them ie donny
Posted by: arryarryarry, July 20, 2019, 11:10pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from Posh Harry

I suspect the highlights were doctored in favour of the club that produced them ie donny

The match was filmed by the GTFC camera team.
Posted by: arryarryarry, July 20, 2019, 11:12pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from RonMariner

Neither did Doncaster.

MJ said we could have played better and hopefully the way he wants us to play will be sorted by the Morecambe game.
Posted by: Posh Harry, July 20, 2019, 11:48pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from arryarryarry

The match was filmed by the GTFC camera team.

It might have been but I would imagine that the fact that it says ifollow rovers in the corner would indicate that it has been edited by them.

As usual, could be wrong though 😉
Posted by: Meza, July 21, 2019, 12:28am; Reply: 63
Quoted from Posh Harry

It might have been but I would imagine that the fact that it says ifollow rovers in the corner would indicate that it has been edited by them.

As usual, could be wrong though 😉

nope your not wrong, up until 8pm tonight there was no highlights of the game on ifollow or gtfc youtube, only what was posted earlier which seems to come from Ifollow Donny website. I have checked again and its not on their website, but now shows on gtfc youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2Ye55HMadA
Posted by: Abdul19, July 21, 2019, 10:51pm; Reply: 64
Cracking technique for the goal.

If that had been scored by *insert big name player* in a game that actually meant something they'd be talking about it on *insert tv channel* for *insert lengthy duration of time*
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, July 22, 2019, 9:48am; Reply: 65
Was that his first goal for the club??
Posted by: livosnose, July 22, 2019, 9:51am; Reply: 66
Quoted from Mariner Timsky
Was that his first goal for the club??

He scored in the cup
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, July 22, 2019, 11:27am; Reply: 67
Quoted from livosnose

He scored in the cup

Not sure that a goal in the Checkatrade against Notts County, if I remember right, is actually considered relevant by the majority of town fans !!!

Sure hope he can get a few more like that in season ahead.
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 8:45am