6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Malta_Mariner_90
July 10, 2019, 1:53pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +796
Quoted from Son of Cod
David Wheater apparently going to Salford. Ridiculous signing.

Another one that looks like a quality signing is Jevani Brown going from Cambridge to Colchester.

Scunny started going about their business pretty well too.

Ryan Lowe raiding Bury.

The promotion race looks set to be a bit tougher this season, in my opinion.

Highlights Bolton's woes as well. No way on earth should they lose a player like Wheater to Salford under normal circumstances.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 53
Son of Cod
July 10, 2019, 2:32pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from Malta_Mariner_90

Highlights Bolton's woes as well. No way on earth should they lose a player like Wheater to Salford under normal circumstances.

Yep. He'd taken a 50% pay cut too during his time at Bolton, so he was obviously willing to make sacrifices for the club. I wonder if Salford beat any L1 teams to his name.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 53
Malta_Mariner_90
July 10, 2019, 3:40pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +796
Quoted from Son of Cod

Yep. He'd taken a 50% pay cut too during his time at Bolton, so he was obviously willing to make sacrifices for the club. I wonder if Salford beat any L1 teams to his name.

Probably also location was a factor in his signing as well.

Maybe he is also a United fan so might be a boyhood dream to play for the class of 92  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 53
mimma
July 10, 2019, 3:47pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,564
Gold Stars: 78
Getting paid on time might have been a factor as well!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 53
Rick12
July 10, 2019, 3:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Personally I think players will be more difficult to attract this season. Going into last season we had the momentum of Jolley's great escape in the last 10 games as something to build on.

Fast forward a year and we have the same manager but stuttered to a 17th place finish, scored very few goals. In fact, you take 4 games out of it (Yeovil, Notts County, Tranmere, Newport) and goals for column is even shambolic.

There is no momentum and if we want to attract up and coming players, our plodding along is not going to help their career as we look like falling through the trap door sooner rather than later.  We are favourites for relegation and Jolley can't deny responsibility for our league position last season.
Thing is we cant compete with the likes of some in league 2 who pay decent wages but if its a choice between 2 clubs that are offering similar wages I think our history will play to our advantage. Hence players would love to play for Grimsby and more so if they have a connection to the area in some capacity eg family/friends.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 53
sam gy
July 10, 2019, 4:54pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,475
Gold Stars: 55
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I’m not sure our history has much pulling power these days. Most players are barely old enough to remember us being a second tier team.

Anyway, I’m happy with our business so far.

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 53
Grantham_Mariner
July 10, 2019, 4:59pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,185
Gold Stars: 50
But just remember how many on this board were saying how good Notts County would be with the team they had on paper. We all know what happened to them.

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 53
grimsby pete
July 10, 2019, 5:20pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
If we have a bit of success this season by reaching the play offs at least,

Better players will want to sign for us because either we will be in L1 next season or will have a good chance of promotion the following season if we have just missed out.

Thats as long as MJ stays with us and is not lured away by a big club like Shrewsbury.

Also if the new stadium build has started that would go in our favour as well.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 53
Rasen 17
July 10, 2019, 5:32pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Approval: +40
Gold Stars: 2
Why is everyone so obsessed with signing new players. Apart from perhaps a centre back and a full back l think he has his squad. Why do we need big name players with big wage demands. Leicester won the premiership with very few players, and Accrington won promotion on a very low budget. Trust in your managers judgement, he's better equipped to assess what he needs than you or l. I think the players he has brought in , plus the youth and Whitehouse will be better than those that have gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 53
Northbank Mariner
July 10, 2019, 5:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from Rasen 17
Why is everyone so obsessed with signing new players. Apart from perhaps a centre back and a full back l think he has his squad. Why do we need big name players with big wage demands. Leicester won the premiership with very few players, and Accrington won promotion on a very low budget. Trust in your managers judgement, he's better equipped to assess what he needs than you or l. I think the players he has brought in , plus the youth and Whitehouse will be better than those that have gone.

I'm with you on this...
I actually think if we don't sign another player before the window slam shuts we have a better squad, including the young guns coming through, than we've had since being back in the league...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 53
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Other Clubs League 2 Transfers

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.