4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
forza ivano
March 19, 2019, 2:37pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,174
Gold Stars: 265
[quote=1558]I have to disagree with most of the views on this thread.  The main issue with the current squad is inconsistency.  They have shown for several spells in the season that they are good enough to be at the top end of the table but struggled to maintain that form.  Despite that, even now a handful of different results would have seen us in the playoffs. We maybe don’t have the squad to be runaway leaders but results show we have potential to be firm play off contenders and we have the strongest squad since Slade MK1.

Do you think they have ever been that good? As i said previously in that little unbeaten run last month we beat MK Mongs, who were bang out of form, a reserve Newport side and 2 shiite teams in Cheltenham and Yeovil, ending with a fortuitous draw at Swindon. I'm trying to remember a series of good performances (even Jolley said that the Tranmere win was flattering). I've seen 2 battling performance at Palace & Northampton, 20 minutes of solid battling at Swindon and a good win v Non League Chesterfield. The other stuff v Morecamber (h), Stevenage & Cambridge etc has been very average, which reflects in our 16th postion.As is often said the league table doesn't lie.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 39
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 19, 2019, 3:17pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Someone to shout 'yakky dah!' in the middle of the pitch?

ie  

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 39
Stew0_0
March 19, 2019, 10:11pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,196
Gold Stars: 35
GK
Macca

FB/WB
Hendrie
Ring
Hall johnson

CB
Davis
Ohman

CM
Hessenthaler
Clifton
Whitehouse (will be like a new signing himself?
Embleton (though will return to sunderland and probably loaned back out to league one next season

ST
Thomas ( though wont re-sign as will be picked up by southern league one club)
Cardwell (will be here as just signed a contract extension)

Need some more strengthening in the summer to push for promotion/play offs
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 39
forza ivano
March 21, 2019, 10:01am

Exile
Quoted from forza ivano
[quote=1558]I have to disagree with most of the views on this thread.  The main issue with the current squad is inconsistency.  They have shown for several spells in the season that they are good enough to be at the top end of the table but struggled to maintain that form.  Despite that, even now a handful of different results would have seen us in the playoffs. We maybe don’t have the squad to be runaway leaders but results show we have potential to be firm play off contenders and we have the strongest squad since Slade MK1.

Do you think they have ever been that good? As i said previously in that little unbeaten run last month we beat MK Mongs, who were bang out of form, a reserve Newport side and 2 shiite teams in Cheltenham and Yeovil, ending with a fortuitous draw at Swindon. I'm trying to remember a series of good performances (even Jolley said that the Tranmere win was flattering). I've seen 2 battling performance at Palace & Northampton, 20 minutes of solid battling at Swindon and a good win v Non League Chesterfield. The other stuff v Morecamber (h), Stevenage & Cambridge etc has been very average, which reflects in our 16th postion.As is often said the league table doesn't lie.

i see nobody has really answered or countered this. Has there actually been any games where you've thought that we have got the makings of a really good side? I've outlined the case for the prosecution above - any case for the defence? Apart from the above that i'd add that the 2 games where i can think of us playing well were against struggling, non league Chesterfield and struggling soon to be non league Notts County.
I will happily agree that this season's team is fitter & stronger (both mentally and physically) than last year and that we are more organised. the standard of player has also improved, although perhaps not as much as we hoped, but i think that we are not as close as some seem to think.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 39
Northbank Mariner
March 21, 2019, 10:36am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,446
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from forza ivano

i see nobody has really answered or countered this. Has there actually been any games where you've thought that we have got the makings of a really good side? I've outlined the case for the prosecution above - any case for the defence? Apart from the above that i'd add that the 2 games where i can think of us playing well were against struggling, non league Chesterfield and struggling soon to be non league Notts County.
I will happily agree that this season's team is fitter & stronger (both mentally and physically) than last year and that we are more organised. the standard of player has also improved, although perhaps not as much as we hoped, but i think that we are not as close as some seem to think.

To be honest, the best all round performance I have seen from town where I thought we looked like we could be onto something was the Lincoln game at home.
We tore their defence apart and bossed that game, might I add quite comfortably, but over the season the rest have been at best okay with some shockers in there too ...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 39
Garth
March 21, 2019, 11:47am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Hopefully the start of next season will see us sign early rather than picking up old might have been that nobody else wants.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 39
Garth
March 21, 2019, 11:50am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Now is the time I would suggest that we play our youngsters more, if only the last 20 mins, it took an age to start playing Clifton, I'm sure he was ready earlieri
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 39
Abdul19
March 21, 2019, 1:39pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,555
Gold Stars: 216
Quoted from Garth
Hopefully the start of next season will see us sign early rather than picking up old might have been that nobody else wants.

This is always something that gets trotted out, but last year we signed Welsh, Hessenthaler, Whitmore, Davis, Whitehouse and Cook (and Robles!) before the last week of June.

And 2 of the players signed in August (Thomas and Hendrie) have been our best players this season.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 39
Son of Cod
March 21, 2019, 1:45pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from forza ivano

I don't agree with this notion that MK Dons were out of form (twice I might add), Cheltenham are crap (they're actually not that bad), etc, etc. ergo these ones don't count. Does a team have to be in form for you to put a good performance in against them? We were excellent at home to Lincoln and I thought we were very good at home to Colchester too, for what it's worth.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 39
forza ivano
March 21, 2019, 2:22pm

Exile
Quoted from Son of Cod

I don't agree with this notion that MK Dons were out of form (twice I might add), Cheltenham are crap (they're actually not that bad), etc, etc. ergo these ones don't count. Does a team have to be in form for you to put a good performance in against them? We were excellent at home to Lincoln and I thought we were very good at home to Colchester too, for what it's worth.

point taken, but that's 5 out of 42. i'm not trying to be overly critical, but we do have a tendency to get ahead of ourselves. i think my over riding impression is that we're not a good team, but we are a battling team
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 39
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Who is good enough

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.