4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Tommy
March 13, 2019, 10:06am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,866
Gold Stars: 76
He got injured around the new year didn't he. After what had been a decent spell in the team playing, as DHM says above, as one of 3 supporting Thomas.

At the time it was feared it was a going to be a long-lay off but he was back within a couple of weeks. However I do remember MJ saying it's just something they'd have to manage with him in terms of his training and games. So maybe that's still an issue? I don't know. Even if it isn't, it is certainly what forced him out of the team after a good run.

That then coincided with us changing the formation to 3-5-2, where his place in that line of 3 attacking players no longer exists. Again, as DHM says above, I think his best position in this system would be as the creative attacking force between the midfield 2 and the strikers.

I think he's a good player, technically, but it remains to be seen whether he can find ways to effect games a bit more. And consistently. However, he's a young player with less than 50 games under his belt as a professional, and consistency is never really something that comes with younger players.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 31
Davec
March 13, 2019, 10:09am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 42
I know he's not the same style as player but if we're going to be playing 5-3-2 next season then he could go in the slot Embelton will vacate when he departs?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 31
HertsGTFC
March 13, 2019, 10:13am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,992
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Tommy
He got injured around the new year didn't he. After what had been a decent spell in the team playing, as DHM says above, as one of 3 supporting Thomas.

At the time it was feared it was a going to be a long-lay off but he was back within a couple of weeks. However I do remember MJ saying it's just something they'd have to manage with him in terms of his training and games. So maybe that's still an issue? I don't know. Even if it isn't, it is certainly what forced him out of the team after a good run.

That then coincided with us changing the formation to 3-5-2, where his place in that line of 3 attacking players no longer exists. Again, as DHM says above, I think his best position in this system would be as the creative attacking force between the midfield 2 and the strikers.

I think he's a good player, technically, but it remains to be seen whether he can find ways to effect games a bit more. And consistently. However, he's a young player with less than 50 games under his belt as a professional, and consistency is never really something that comes with younger players.

All of the above... and all being well 3 points on Saturday takes us to 50 then we’ll see a bit more of the likes of Charlie, Akheem and Harry Cardwell (who IMHO should be out on loan) getting the  game time they need.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 31
1mickylyons
March 13, 2019, 10:25am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,388
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from barralad

Yeah I get that but looking on here and social media there was little argument with the XI that started last night. Collins got tons of stick for Saturday...he was dropped. People said Wes and Dennis don't make for a good front two partnership..Dennis relegated to the bench. On Saturday Vernam had a chance to do the business and couldn't. He will get more chances and the need to perform should get more than just him up for the remainder of the games. I couldn't go last night but it sounds as though their goals were down to ridiculous mistakes and that on another day we could have got something from the game. Bit premature to accuse them of being on the beach..

Not sure it`s premature given it`s a 3rd defeat on the bounce and those present say last night`s 4-1 defeat the best performance? I have only seen first hand the Cambridge defeat and in my opinion that was Town`s worst home performance in a long time . If I were a pay on the gate  supporter or an exiled STH would I attend Saturday and what would I be expecting from Town?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 31
jimgtfc
March 13, 2019, 10:32am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,101
Gold Stars: 45
I think some people might be forgetting that this lad is still only 22 with a couple of years of development possible before he can reach his full potential of which I think he has a lot. I can’t for the life of me see why anyone would suggest terminating his contract early!

As others have said injuries and the switch to 352 have had an impact on his selection and now finds himself pigeon holed into a central attacking role that I personally don’t see as his best position. I think he’s better picking the ball up in wide areas either on the half turn or facing goal and running at defenders. He’s pretty quick and tricky and has caused defences problems this season in these areas.

I just wonder that if MJ is so adamant that a wing back system is here to stay then a slight tweak to a 343 like how Wolves set up with 2 natural wingers as well as the 2 wing backs, that are good on the counter and can also help you get in behind in wider areas which is what I think we’ve lacked in the last few weeks. It’s interesting that Wolves actually switch between 343 and 352 depending on match circumstances and a 3 pronged attack would certainly bring Vernam back into the picture.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 31
1mickylyons
March 13, 2019, 11:15am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,388
Gold Stars: 56
I like Vernam and would have in my starting line up he create chances.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 31
MuddyWaters
March 13, 2019, 2:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,287
Gold Stars: 236
If my memory is correct, he got injured towards the end of December just at the time that we were starting to play with a bit of verve with him and Embo playing wide in a 433. I know we've won games since but some of them (Cheltenham particularly) have been far more attritional than we were playing before Christmas.

By all reports, he was a class apart in the Reserves last week and I just wonder what he's done wrong?
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 31
devs
March 13, 2019, 4:08pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,984
Gold Stars: 30
I don't think Vernam has done anything wring in particular - it is just hard to see him fitting into this system
And that presents a problem for me - two of our best and most natural players - Cook and Vernam - can';t get into the side on a consistent basis (especially Vernam) because of the system

They are not wing backs
They are not centre mids
They are not out and out strikers

This set me thinking - always dangerous at my age - about next season

If MJ persists with 352 - and if he does hopefully we will make big strides in the summer through training and pre-season games - then I can;t see much playing time for likes of Cook, Vernam, Rose, Cardwell

That also set me thinking that perhaps MJ ought to blow most of his budget on two top notch strikers - or at least a Bogle (non league big scorer) and a Podge (gem from the reserves with a goal scoring pedigree)

Unless we get any silly offers Macc and the defence is sorted - we will forget last night; when it is settled and on the ball it's as good/tight as most in L2; hard to see how he can improve it and he has either signed them up or has options to

Midfield? Harry and Jake are getting better and better; Welsh is still useful back up; Woolford? I think MJ likes his experience; Whitehouse will be like a new signing; assume Embleton goes back?

That leaves attack - Wes? Should get offered a new deal but he might decide to go; Akheem and Cardwell - raw and inexperienced (still back up players for me); Cook - as stated; Vernam - as stated

95% of squad settle - blow the bloody lot on strikers!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 31
arryarryarry
March 13, 2019, 4:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from barralad

Yeah I get that but looking on here and social media there was little argument with the XI that started last night. Collins got tons of stick for Saturday...he was dropped. People said Wes and Dennis don't make for a good front two partnership..Dennis relegated to the bench. On Saturday Vernam had a chance to do the business and couldn't. He will get more chances and the need to perform should get more than just him up for the remainder of the games. I couldn't go last night but it sounds as though their goals were down to ridiculous mistakes and that on another day we could have got something from the game. Bit premature to accuse them of being on the beach..

I thought he only came on in the 84th minute.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 31
MuddyWaters
March 13, 2019, 4:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,287
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from barralad

If I'd been out the team for as long as he has, I would hope for a bit more than 5 minutes after we'd played shite for the previous 80!
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 31
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Charles Vernam

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.