Swansea_Mariner
March 12, 2019, 10:30pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,443
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from Croxton
Another cop out from Tondeur. No question about subs. Wes not playing for a contract on that performance. Why take off RHJ? etc. etc.

I thought RHJ was shocking today.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 31
nightrider
March 12, 2019, 10:32pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

I thought RHJ was shocking today.

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 31
barralad
March 12, 2019, 10:43pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Maybe not the easiest of conditions for him but apart from a brief flourish on Saturday when he came on I don't remember him doing a great deal. We have tremendous competition for places in most positions at the moment and it may require him to get a bit of luck to force his way into the manager's thinking. Looking at the volume of changes made recently no-one's place is guaranteed. I'd put money on him getting a decent crack before the seasons end.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 31
1mickylyons
March 13, 2019, 7:17am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,383
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from barralad
Maybe not the easiest of conditions for him but apart from a brief flourish on Saturday when he came on I don't remember him doing a great deal. We have tremendous competition for places in most positions at the moment and it may require him to get a bit of luck to force his way into the manager's thinking. Looking at the volume of changes made recently no-one's place is guaranteed. I'd put money on him getting a decent crack before the seasons end.

Sorry Ian can`t resist but the competiton can`t be that tremendous if we get stuffed 4-1 by Tranmere sadly .The wheels have come off and the players have downed tools to sit on the beach and the Manager needs to Manage and address that . I am a STH along with 3k others and they are duty bound to give us 100% how many of the 3k along with myself don`t expect to see this at any point during the remainder of the Season? The knock on effects of me being right we have seen numerous times over the years and it will result in poor or sluggish ST sales for next season this then effects the budget and on and on it goes.We deserve better
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 31
golfer
March 13, 2019, 8:06am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,428
Gold Stars: 116
We are playing the completely wrong system and these in-out performances will continue unless we make changes not just to the personnel but to the tactics. We are not going to get anywhere with the present system so let us change it now with the future in mind. This season is over so let us try something different and see how it goes.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 31
barralad
March 13, 2019, 8:53am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Sorry Ian can`t resist but the competiton can`t be that tremendous if we get stuffed 4-1 by Tranmere sadly .The wheels have come off and the players have downed tools to sit on the beach and the Manager needs to Manage and address that . I am a STH along with 3k others and they are duty bound to give us 100% how many of the 3k along with myself don`t expect to see this at any point during the remainder of the Season? The knock on effects of me being right we have seen numerous times over the years and it will result in poor or sluggish ST sales for next season this then effects the budget and on and on it goes.We deserve better

Yeah I get that but looking on here and social media there was little argument with the XI that started last night. Collins got tons of stick for Saturday...he was dropped. People said Wes and Dennis don't make for a good front two partnership..Dennis relegated to the bench. On Saturday Vernam had a chance to do the business and couldn't. He will get more chances and the need to perform should get more than just him up for the remainder of the games. I couldn't go last night but it sounds as though their goals were down to ridiculous mistakes and that on another day we could have got something from the game. Bit premature to accuse them of being on the beach..

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 31
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 13, 2019, 9:01am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
The lad is neither fish nor fowl. Charlie is not a striker, he is not a winger, he is not a midfielder, he’s sort of a bit of all three and master of none. I like him and no doubt the lad has some ability, though he was unlucky with injury last year, but his contribution is not consistent and physical enough especially for L2. There’s a lot of sentiment for him, local lad and all that. We get the usual talk about it. But the proof of the pudding has been that he has not even put in enough good half hours to justify being on the pitch for 90 minutes every week. To be honest I could see him being released at the end of his contract if not before.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 31
diehardmariner
March 13, 2019, 9:05am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,611
Gold Stars: 538
I think it's a combination of a few things.

1) He does appear a bit injury prone.  I think it was before Xmas he was in a really good run of form and looking likely to cement his place in the side and then he got injured.  This follows on from countless niggles.  
2) I'm not convinced Jolley trusts him enough to play a midfield role, or a wide role.
3) He's not an out-and-out striker.

In my eyes his natural position should be where Embleton is now.  That said Embleton drops a lot deeper than the traditional No.10 and does a hell of a lot of tracking back and getting stuck in.  I'm not sure that's Vernam's game at all.  

His best form for us came when he was part of that fluid 3 of him, Pringle and Embleton which played behind Thomas.  We're not playing that system now but I think we definitely need to give him a go up top as part of a two.  I would quite like to see a Cook/Vernam pairing if I'm honest.  Dennis hasn't really hit the form we hoped he would and we're probably a bit too focused on Thomas as our focal point.  
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 31
HertsGTFC
March 13, 2019, 9:52am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from barralad

Yeah I get that but looking on here and social media there was little argument with the XI that started last night. Collins got tons of stick for Saturday...he was dropped. People said Wes and Dennis don't make for a good front two partnership..Dennis relegated to the bench. On Saturday Vernam had a chance to do the business and couldn't. He will get more chances and the need to perform should get more than just him up for the remainder of the games. I couldn't go last night but it sounds as though their goals were down to ridiculous mistakes and that on another day we could have got something from the game. Bit premature to accuse them of being on the beach..

I think the manager is picking a side to support a system which TBH always baffles me and this may mean that some players may miss out.

Charlie looked good in a front 3 but in a 3-5-2 where would he play and more interestingly who would he replace?

I really like him though as he’s got real pace and defenders find his direct running with the ball at his feet difficult to deal with.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 31
bedders78
March 13, 2019, 10:06am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from diehardmariner
I would quite like to see a Cook/Vernam pairing if I'm honest.  Dennis hasn't really hit the form we hoped he would and we're probably a bit tfocused on Thomas as our focal point.  

I thought Cook and Vernam looked to have a decent understanding at the start of the season but didn't produce much of a goal threat.  Whether that would come with more game time together I'm not sure. I wouldn't want to go into next season with them as our main strikers unless they start firing in the next couple of months.

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 31
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Charles Vernam

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.