Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What a team that was !
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 349 Guests

What a team that was !

This thread currently has 3,062 views. Print
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Ipswin
January 10, 2019, 11:42am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89

I seem to remember the crowd weren't particularly enamoured with Collins though were they?

I certainly recall him putting his head down and hurtling down the wing oblivious to anything else including team mates screaming for a pass and sadly on numerous occasions not stopping  until both he and the ball hit the advertising hoardings behind the goal  

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 13
Limerick Mariner
January 10, 2019, 11:46am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,695
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Les Brechin
I suppose it all matters the time when you first started regularly watching the team.

I saw my first game in 1972 but it wasn't until the late '70's, early '80's when I started going regularly.

The team of 1980/81 is my all-time favourite squad. We came within a whisker of being the first team to go from Division 4 to Division 1 in successive season, but ultimately fell short finishing 7th.

[img]https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ZUkAAOxyXWdQ4t-k/s-l1600.jpg[/img]

A fair few home growns or at least Lincs lads in that squad - Pete Wainwright was from Brigg who had a lovely girlfriend that I managed to snog at a school disco
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 13
Ipswin
January 10, 2019, 11:49am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Just browsing through the GTFC 1978 Centenary Brochure and noticed an article (P 33 for anyone who has a copy) entitled 'An early chairman and an old problem'

W H Bellamy Chairman bailed the club out of a serious financial situation in 1894/5 by signing a personal cheque for £150 (other board members also put similar sums of money in)

I wonder if he ever called in his 'benign loan' ?

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 13
1mickylyons
January 10, 2019, 12:21pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,383
Gold Stars: 56
Shows how good Dougie Collins was, even then at the age of 20. He was in the first team at 18. He was a central midfielder but Ron Foster played there, he could play left wing but Brian Hill played there!  Jimmy McGuigan the manager had to play Collins somewhere because he was too good to leave out. Burnley got a bargain when they signed him.

Three days earlier Town had drawn 2-2 with West Ham in that epic League Cup quarter final and would lose the replay 1-0 at Upton Park a week or so later. I remember missing the Reading game and hitchhiking home for the West Ham match which amazingly was not all ticket, just paid on the gate, watched the game and hitchhiked back for a 9 o'clock lecture at uni next morning.

Happy days.

What sort of following did Town take down to West Ham for the replay or was it pre segregation?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 13
2 Pages Prev 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What a team that was !

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.