Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What a team that was !
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 286 Guests

What a team that was !

This thread currently has 3,058 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Ipswin
January 9, 2019, 1:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Clearing out a load of junk earlier today I found a programme for Town v Reading on 20th November 1965

'Town's best ever team' threads drive me mad as there are so many permutations and I'm not saying the team that day was the 'best ever' but what a team it was

Wainman, Thompson, Taylor, Ross, Jobling, Clifton, Collins, Tees, Green, Foster, Hill

Town were sitting second in Div 3. Four points adrift of Millwall a but with a game in hand. Hull were third.

After 15 league games, four League Cup games and one FA Cup game Matt Tees had scored 14 in the league, four in the League Cup and one in the FA Cup. 19 in 20 games, (if only we had someone who could do that now)

In the League Cup we had beaten Palace 1-0, Bolton 4-2 and Preston 4-0 (all in the division above us) plus that fantastic 2-2 draw with West Ham (two divisions above us)

Happy days indeed

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
grimsby pete
January 9, 2019, 2:07pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,793
Gold Stars: 222
Good times indeed Swin,

Hopefully Jolley will stay long enough to build a side that could compete with that one.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 13
Ipswin
January 9, 2019, 2:23pm
Vodka Drinker
A (front) line up of Collins, Tees, Green, Foster, Hill doesn't come along very often Pete

Although I can see him building something (if allowed) teams like those we remember won't ever be formed again given today's short contracts and multiple on loan players.

'Home growns' are unlikely ever to make up more than 2 or 3 players and long stayers about the same unfortunately

Private Message
Reply: 2 - 13
Les Brechin
January 9, 2019, 4:40pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,702
Gold Stars: 174
I suppose it all matters the time when you first started regularly watching the team.

I saw my first game in 1972 but it wasn't until the late '70's, early '80's when I started going regularly.

The team of 1980/81 is my all-time favourite squad. We came within a whisker of being the first team to go from Division 4 to Division 1 in successive season, but ultimately fell short finishing 7th.

[img]https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ZUkAAOxyXWdQ4t-k/s-l1600.jpg[/img]

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 13
Posh Harry
January 9, 2019, 7:02pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,358
Gold Stars: 35
Quoted from Ipswin
A (front) line up of Collins, Tees, Green, Foster, Hill doesn't come along very often Pete

Although I can see him building something (if allowed) teams like those we remember won't ever be formed again given today's short contracts and multiple on loan players.

'Home growns' are unlikely ever to make up more than 2 or 3 players and long stayers about the same unfortunately

Wow Swin. That’s almost sounds like a back handed comment towards our current manager.

You need to sit down old chap, not sure you are feeling well 😉
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 13
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 9, 2019, 7:33pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Shows how good Dougie Collins was, even then at the age of 20. He was in the first team at 18. He was a central midfielder but Ron Foster played there, he could play left wing but Brian Hill played there!  Jimmy McGuigan the manager had to play Collins somewhere because he was too good to leave out. Burnley got a bargain when they signed him.

Three days earlier Town had drawn 2-2 with West Ham in that epic League Cup quarter final and would lose the replay 1-0 at Upton Park a week or so later. I remember missing the Reading game and hitchhiking home for the West Ham match which amazingly was not all ticket, just paid on the gate, watched the game and hitchhiked back for a 9 o'clock lecture at uni next morning.

Happy days.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 13
Tommy
January 10, 2019, 10:39am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
There we have it folks, there was a time when Ipswin was happy!

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 13
Ipswin
January 10, 2019, 11:28am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Posh Harry

Wow Swin. That’s almost sounds like a back handed comment towards our current manager.

You need to sit down old chap, not sure you are feeling well 😉

Oops sorry, that wasn't my intention at all.

Whilst Jolley might put together a mid table Div 4 side with no danger of relegation his teams will never be good enough to lace the boots of those mid 1960s players

I also found the programme for the first home game of 1964 against Bristol Rovers, the team was different to the later Reading team in four positions Keeble was at LB instead of Taylor, Ron Cockerill at RH instead of Ross, Jimmy Pennington at outside right instead of Doug Collins and George MacLean at centre forward instead of Rod Green - another great team who had won the first game of the season a week earlier away at Oldham 5-1

Private Message
Reply: 7 - 13
lew chaterleys lover
January 10, 2019, 11:34am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
Shows how good Dougie Collins was, even then at the age of 20. He was in the first team at 18. He was a central midfielder but Ron Foster played there, he could play left wing but Brian Hill played there!  Jimmy McGuigan the manager had to play Collins somewhere because he was too good to leave out. Burnley got a bargain when they signed him.

Three days earlier Town had drawn 2-2 with West Ham in that epic League Cup quarter final and would lose the replay 1-0 at Upton Park a week or so later. I remember missing the Reading game and hitchhiking home for the West Ham match which amazingly was not all ticket, just paid on the gate, watched the game and hitchhiked back for a 9 o'clock lecture at uni next morning.

Happy days.

I seem to remember the crowd weren't particularly enamoured with Collins though were they? A bit of a fanny I think my dad said at the time.

I remember a cup tie at home to Burnley when he had a fantastic game, and on the strength of that Burnley signed him if I remember right.

Just after that decent team, we sold all the better players and quickly dropped to the bottom reaches of the football league. Some habits are hard to kick!
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 13
Ipswin
January 10, 2019, 11:38am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Tommy
There we have it folks, there was a time when Ipswin was happy!

I was absolutely delighted with the teams in those days, (mind you I was 50 years younger and was happy with most things!)   The football was so much more open and entertaining, the ball tended to be played forwards instead of across and back and across then back again all the time, the play was flowing with far fewer fouls, stoppages and free kicks (they were quite rare other than for offside) players who were shoulder charged did not fly dramatically through the air, a penalty was awarded for a clear foul and not because a player put his hand on the shoulder of another (Akeem please note) and there was shock horror when a player had 'his name taken' and I don't remember anyone getting sent off.

Ducks to avoid swinging lamp and reaches for slippers  

Private Message
Reply: 9 - 13
2 Pages 1 2 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › What a team that was !

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.