1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
TheRealJohnLewis
January 3, 2019, 8:50am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
There's a new railcard for those aged 26-30 available for £30 which saves you a third off train tickets.  If you use it a couple of times you are likely to save £30 you bought the ticket for.

https://www.26-30railcard.co.uk/using-your-railcard/the-benefits/
Private Message
Mariner Timsky
January 3, 2019, 8:55am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Gold Stars: 5
Why the age bracket??

I'm over 30 and would defo consider something like that - especially after a couple of uses you have basically paid for the card

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 9
TheRealJohnLewis
January 3, 2019, 9:02am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
26-30, i've edited the original post to make it a little clearer.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 9
ginnywings
January 3, 2019, 9:20am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,122
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Mariner Timsky
Why the age bracket??

I'm over 30 and would defo consider something like that - especially after a couple of uses you have basically paid for the card

If you are between 30 and 60, there are some other options available, but unfortunately not for single travellers. There is the 2 together railcard which myself and Ms Ginny have. There is the family and friends railcard, and there is also group bookings. The train fares in this country are extortionately high and it's a right faff trying to get discounted tickets, but it can be done with a bit of work, buying tickets in advance and split ticketing, if you can be bothered.

I'm 60 in August and will be getting a senior railcard, which will mean a third off all my fares regardless. It's about time we as a country started to encourage more rail travel, and made it a cheaper and hassle free experience. While the rail companies are privately owned, i can't see anything other than year on year price rises. The new 26 to 30 railcard is just an extension of the 16 to 25 one, and has only been introduced to appease people after yet another price hike. It's all the fault of the Unions apparently.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 9
Mariner Timsky
January 3, 2019, 9:32am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,533
Will have a look into the one for a couples although Mrs Mariner Timsky isn't a fan of away days, ,  

I'm more of a last minute rail user and every now and again it works out more economic / convenient than using the car , , , , , , oh and it means I can partake in a shandy or two!  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 9
ginnywings
January 3, 2019, 9:40am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,122
Gold Stars: 548
Doesn't have to be your partner. It's any two named people travelling together, so if you want to use trains, and have a mate you travel with, then it's a good option to save a third off your fare.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 9
Mariner Ronnie
January 3, 2019, 10:07am

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from ginnywings

If you are between 30 and 60, there are some other options available, but unfortunately not for single travellers. There is the 2 together railcard which myself and Ms Ginny have. There is the family and friends railcard, and there is also group bookings. The train fares in this country are extortionately high and it's a right faff trying to get discounted tickets, but it can be done with a bit of work, buying tickets in advance and split ticketing, if you can be bothered.

I'm 60 in August and will be getting a senior railcard, which will mean a third off all my fares regardless. It's about time we as a country started to encourage more rail travel, and made it a cheaper and hassle free experience. While the rail companies are privately owned, i can't see anything other than year on year price rises. The new 26 to 30 railcard is just an extension of the 16 to 25 one, and has only been introduced to appease people after yet another price hike. It's all the fault of the Unions apparently.

They do seem to be striking the same time every year, becoming a joke.

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 9
ska face
January 3, 2019, 10:18am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,657
Gold Stars: 847
Quoted from Mariner Timsky
Why the age bracket??

To appease a section of the public that are broadly unsupportive of the Conservative party.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 9
mariner83
January 3, 2019, 10:27am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +25 / -4
Approval: +2,001
Discount code for 2Together  is DTTR10  expires 07/01/2019
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 8 - 9
Croxton
January 3, 2019, 11:50am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
I would have renewed my Senior Railcard if there were trains back to Sheffield after Midweek games. Strikes and having to stand almost all the way to Morecambe last year affected the decision too. Complicated and lengthy journeys in League 2 take up more time than I have. Buying a much better car made life easier too!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 9
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Away Day Rail Travel

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.