jamesgtfc
December 30, 2018, 7:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,957
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Paris Mariner

True but we haven't been midtable and Jolley has been including young players all season in match day squads. I don't think Hurst was either brave enough to back them or didn't think they were good enough.

I think there are a combination of factors. We implemented a number of changes once we gained promotion and you could argue that Clifton and Wright aren't even beneficiaries of these changes.

Pollock joined in the summer so he can certainly be considered a beneficiary of picking young, released talent up similar to what happened with Bennett.

The local lads currently on the cusp such as Battersby and Buckley are probably the first real benefits of these changes. You need to have patience with youth policies as it takes time. In another 3 or 4 years we will have kids coming through that have benefited right from the beginning of their time at Grimsby Town.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 71
forza ivano
December 30, 2018, 8:50pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,170
Gold Stars: 265
The whole thing is ' unbelievable ' ( listen t the video and count the unbelievables'!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 71
joe56
December 31, 2018, 12:17am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +476
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from forza ivano
The whole thing is ' unbelievable ' ( listen t the video and count the unbelievables'!

And your comment is unbelievable too. Do you think that mocking a 17 year old for the way he speaks willl benefit him in some way?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 71
fiveallive
December 31, 2018, 5:39am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +229
Gold Stars: 5
I think with Hurst it was easy to get a loan player in them days in the con, instead bringing a youth player in, he go out and players like Alan Goodall, Danny Parslow, Nathan Pond versitile experience players instead of playing youth like Josh Sunter, Ellis Hudson and Paul Walker at the time.

I also think the likes of Josh Fuller, Normington didn't get a look in because you could get a loan anytime you wanted back then in the league.

That's why the rules have changed for the better and the youth now are getting a chance. I bet Jolley would have got a CB in if the loan market was available all the time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 71
coddy60
December 31, 2018, 7:21am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +7 / -16
Approval: +652
Gold Stars: 13
He would have struggled to get a loanee in half way through the game 😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 71
diehardmariner
December 31, 2018, 9:40am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,611
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from Gaffer58
Hope he carries on and is successful so that in a couple of years the big boys start sniffing round, then he would be a big fish in a little pond.

By all accounts the big clubs are already looking at him.

At the recent youth cup game against Mansfield, a large number of scouts from clubs far bigger than ours were sent to watch him.

Private Message
Reply: 55 - 71
Davec
December 31, 2018, 9:53am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,442
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from diehardmariner

By all accounts the big clubs are already looking at him.

At the recent youth cup game against Mansfield, a large number of scouts from clubs far bigger than ours were sent to watch him.

Lets get him tied down on a 3 year deal atleast then before the big clubs nick him for peanuts
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 71
Azimuth
December 31, 2018, 10:21am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +694
Gold Stars: 60
Quoted from Cloudy

Yep, was that his only first team appearance?

It was his first and only appearance for the first team, but hey at least he can tell his Grandchildren he was a proffesional footballer!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 71
Cloudy
December 31, 2018, 10:25am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from Davec

Lets get him tied down on a 3 year deal atleast then before the big clubs nick him for peanuts

its a two way thing, he, or his father, may not want him to sign a pro deal here if he thinks there is a better offer on the table. By 'better'I dont just mean money.

Prior to taking up his 2 year YT here his dad had him at several clubs. He may prefer to sit on his YT deal which although peanuts, still has 18 months or so to run
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 71
Lincoln Mariner 56
December 31, 2018, 10:27am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from Davec

Thought his response to Matt Dean’s question re signing professional forms for town was “telling” as he said his dad was dealing with that. I would have hoped for a more positive response along the lines of I would love to stay with the club and hopefully my dad will get this sorted shortly...

May be being pessimistic but so many players move now before even making clubs first teams for peppercorn fees it makes it increasingly difficult for clubs like town to hold on to good prospects and probably more difficult if they are not local lads.

Would expect he will be playing tomorrow and even on Saturday in the Cup game so good performances will be double edged as the vultures from the top clubs will be circling around.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 71
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Pollock

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.