4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
FishOutOfWater
December 28, 2018, 12:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
To me it would be like praising the Tories for deciding to “end” austerity after years of screwing everyone over....they won’t be getting any show of gratitude from me
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 10 - 30
headingly_mariner
December 28, 2018, 12:40pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Alfie

Town fans all too quick for calling them out. Ultimately, they got the Jolley appointment right and then backed him when most would have sacked him.

Certainly not going to be in any New Years honours lists but just humorous how many Town fans have got very short memories. Jolley was public enemy number 1 after that Morecambe home game when he was the Messiah about six weeks earlier.

Give over it’s hardly time to get the bunting out we are 14th. I’m thrilled with the way we are playing at the minute and am really enjoying the development of our own young players.

Let’s have it right though, Jolley was nowhere near first choice at a time the board had put the club in a disastrous position with very few options. It’s also worth noting that pre season was an utter disaster, a lack of games and preparation must surely have contributed to our poor start.

We also have a very thin squad and injuries are beginning to expose it. This is not a squad that represents a budget any different to one that we’ve always had. If anything it’s smaller.

Absolutely thrilled that we seem to be on the up. Suggesting our upturn is due to the masterminding of the board is a huge stretch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 30
FishOutOfWater
December 28, 2018, 12:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from golfer
Not another go at the board FFS.-It's Christmas.

I thought Christmas was the perfect time of year for board games Golfer  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 12 - 30
jimgtfc
December 28, 2018, 12:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,086
Gold Stars: 45
Hindsight is a cheap and easy way of pointing the finger. The fact is we’d lost 6 games on the trot, hardly scored a goal all season and looked awful, traits we’ve seen all too often in the last decade and a half, and people are quite within their rights to question those at the top. I’ll admit I thought it wasn’t going to work out for MJ at the time despite wanting him to succeed. I’m also now very happy to be proved wrong, but it could so easily gone the other way. But I suppose it’s fair play to the board for sticking with him, let’s hope they can back him in the next 2/3 transfer windows and move us forward. Football is a fickle business and can change in a couple of games, a look at the bigger picture is a more accurate reflection.

Luckily it feels like we are slowly getting our club back, a young side with a bit of passion in it, local lads getting a shot in the squad and results on the pitch to match. Let’s hope this is just the start of something.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 30
TheRealJohnLewis
December 28, 2018, 12:45pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
If the board can give that fuckBucket Slade 6 million games without a win then they can afford Jolley more than 6 losses in a row.  
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 30
grimps
December 28, 2018, 1:27pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,121
Gold Stars: 46
Any manager that loses six games on the bounce is going to have questions asked , Maybe we was lucky our board wasn’t very trigger happy but we’re still in the bottom half of the 4th division which isn’t good enough for me .
The difference is that we can all see improvement plus the youth team seems to be producing for the first time in decades .
Most will be happy with a mid table finish this season ,Next season we’ll be expecting a lot more
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 30
ska face
December 28, 2018, 1:56pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,658
Gold Stars: 847
It’s the job of the board to convince fans to believe in the vision that is shared by the management and those in the boardroom. That’s as important (if not more) than getting the management and playing staff to understand where fans are coming from.

The board hadn’t managed it at the start of the season, and I said at the time it felt like they were hanging Jolley out to dry by not backing him vocally with the long-term plan he obviously had, and that they bought into at the back end of last year.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 30
Poojah
December 28, 2018, 2:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,533
Gold Stars: 1,500
For a manager of a side languishing at the bottom of the table on the back of six straight defeats, any voices of discontent were pretty muted if I recall. I think most people remained behind MJ but reluctantly recognised that a couple more defeats would have been the end for him. Not many managers survive seven or eight defeats on the bounce.

In general, the board probably do deserve some credit for keeping a steady hand on the trigger when it comes to sacking managers - managers do tend to get a fair crack of the whip here. Notts County have had three managers this season, and that’s not entirely working out. Of course, that’s not withstanding the fact our recruitment has often been so wretched in the first place.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 30
pontoon442
December 28, 2018, 4:36pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / -3
Approval: -256
Gold Stars: 5
Fifteen years of failure, this board has to go (thats Fenty really) whatever happens this season, I hope Jolley go's on to do great things with us, but that will only happen if he gets real backing from an ambitious board. Remember Hurst wanted to go on for promotion but Fenty wanted his money back from selling Bogle, his own bottom pocket came first as always, Tory austerity has been a total failure everywhere its been tried, Fenty's got to go...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 30
TAGG
December 28, 2018, 4:45pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,970
Gold Stars: 124
I supported Jolly.
So what.
Alfie stick ye tong back in ye mouth.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 30
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › The Board

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.